VietRealm

The Lounge => Recreation and Fine Living => Entertainment => Topic started by: gaden on July 16, 2017, 09:13:41 PM

Title: Bolero music
Post by: gaden on July 16, 2017, 09:13:41 PM
Why are they calling oldies music Bolero music now?


Hoa Nở Về Đêm - Phương Anh ( Á Quân Thần Tượng Bolero 2016)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZW-qTVKkHU
Title: Re: Why are they calling oldies music Bolero music now?
Post by: lalapaluza on July 18, 2017, 07:00:14 PM
Super sen songs set to bolero style music.
Title: Re: Why are they calling oldies music Bolero music now?
Post by: gaden on July 19, 2017, 05:34:37 PM
I notice that VN kids are into bolero music now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3D5xTxhPmg
Title: Re: Why are they calling oldies music Bolero music now?
Post by: lalapaluza on July 19, 2017, 06:26:58 PM
That's just backward and very sen. But maybe it's just not my kind of music.
Title: Re: Why are they calling oldies music Bolero music now?
Post by: gaden on July 25, 2017, 08:47:42 PM
If they have music like this I would bring my own beer and sit in the club all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AboASo89YfE
Title: Re: Why are they calling oldies music Bolero music now?
Post by: Qu Đơn on July 26, 2017, 04:42:44 AM
The Filipinos were the first to import a lot of the slow tempo music from Latin America in the 1960s and that pretty much influenced regional Southeast Asian music all the way to Hong Kong and Japan.  Wong Kar Wai said that he included many bolero style tracks in his films because growing up at that time he associated this style of music with Saigon and Manila.  Vietnamese artists invented their own lyrics and vocal styles but the underlying structure is bolero.  My estimate is around 60% of the pop music from the VNCH era had this structure.  The other 40% is non bolero but borrowed heavily from Chinese, American and Japanese sources.  I guess music is very similar to food, we take what we like and sometimes we forget the origin.  Take Kpop for example. There is nothing Korean about kpop since the underlying structure of this music is 100% American.  That is not to say Vietnamese artists did not invent original songs with original underlying structure.  They did but those songs make up about 2% of the total output. 
Title: Re: Why are they calling oldies music Bolero music now?
Post by: Qu Đơn on July 26, 2017, 04:46:44 AM
Even though the original songs from the VNCH era make up only 2% of total musical output, most of those songs that remain with us fall in this category.  There are so many songs from the golden era that I listen to, now that I have upgraded my entire living room with high end audio, which indicate an originality unmatched by songwriters from other countries.  And if you understand Vietnamese at an advanced level every song seems to harken the poetry and passion of Paul Simon or John Lennon.  However, Vietnamese songwriters experienced war first hand so their dreams and yearnings carry a greater level of humanity echoed from the abyss.  I think it is a great loss that many Vietnamese Americans cannot appreciate these oldies music.  W.E.B. Du Boi wrote the The Souls of Black Folk to put in words the essence that define an African American.  Much of his writings focus on the appreciation of one´s own culture over the others to have a healthy psychological development.  Vietnamese music of the generation that experienced war speaks very much to the soul of ordinary Vietnamese.  These songs help us thrive wherever we are because experiences and feelings tied to hope for a better future are very much universal among humans.  If you cannot feel it in your heart and bones then you lose a very important aspect of our unique cultural history and identity.

https://youtu.be/n-wyVoW9Fbg

https://youtu.be/TKLueNBvcB8
Title: Re: Why are they calling oldies music Bolero music now?
Post by: lalapaluza on July 26, 2017, 08:27:55 PM
I love diem xua. The other song, never heard beFor and don't care for it.

I think "sen" songs is Vietnamese folksy song flavored with western style and instruments. With the exception of a few songs, I generally don't care for it. because I never cared for vong co cai luong in the first place.
Title: Re: Bolero music
Post by: gaden on August 10, 2017, 01:37:58 PM
Looks like they could turn any song into the Bolero step and rhythm.

Mưa chiều kỷ niệm - Huyền thoại một chiều mưa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ql2XBv7f5U
Title: Re: Bolero music
Post by: gaden on August 15, 2017, 07:13:30 PM
Hai vì sao lạc - Vi Thảo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBLi_d3ehoQ