collapse

Author Topic: Vietnamese Genotypic IQ Higher than Han Chinese  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Qu Đơn

Vietnamese Genotypic IQ Higher than Han Chinese
« on: July 08, 2015, 03:52:30 PM »
http://www.unz.com/akarlin/genetics-iq-and-convergence/

Vietnam: Phenotypic IQ of 99, versus a genotypic IQ of 106. Certainly a major surprise, considering it is even higher than China. The gap is substantial, but smaller than in India or Africa. This is not surprising, since although Vietnam has the GDP per capita (PPP) of India, it is led by conscientious Communists and is much better off in terms of social development and nutrition (e.g. meat consumption per person is equivalent to that of neighboring, much richer countries). This makes its excellent performance in PISA 2012, which I wrote about in my introductory post on this site, much easier to explain. Consequently, it would also be a strike against Ron Unz’s theory of the East Asian Exception (i.e. that East Asian IQs are very resilient to negative socio-economic and environmental factors). There would still be a substantial gap between Vietnamese genotypic and phenotypic IQ; it’s just that the former are so phenomenally high that the latter can’t help but be very high as well, since Vietnam is at least in terms of social provision no longer a truly Third World country.

Author's conclusion: Regardless, short of them embarking on some new Maoist adventure, or getting flooded off the world map by runaway global warming, or getting nuked, or some other similarly apocalyptic scenario, China’s and Vietnam’s convergence to at least Japan’s level is all but certain in the long run.

Except, Japan is declining at a much faster rate than anticipated and the Vietnamese government is too damn corrupt and selfish to make use of Vietnamese intelligence in developing the country.

Offline Strawberry&Rasberry

Re: Vietnamese Genotypic IQ Higher than Han Chinese
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 06:47:22 PM »
That conclusion has Vietnamese favoritism written all over it.  It's like based on the scientific research it is concluded that they will not be like Chinese and Japanese (and to give dramatic effect says short of having Maoism and getting nuked.)

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 06:49:47 PM »
That conclusion has Vietnamese favoritism written all over it.  It's like based on the scientific research it is concluded that they will not be like Chinese and Japanese (and to give dramatic effect says short of having Maoism and getting nuked.)

What interest would this white author have in the Vietnamese?
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 05:21:15 PM »
What the authors are saying is that Vietnamese people are genetically smarter than Chinese people.  There is nothing wrong with that statement as it is a scientific statement.  Black people are genetically faster than white people but I see way more white people jogging in the streets and way more obese black people leaving fast food joints.  What I see is called phenotype.  What I do not see, while it remains true nevertheless that black people on average are faster than white people, is called genotype. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:23:21 PM by Qu Đơn NYC »

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 05:31:46 PM »
it is not good to have high IQ as it often leads to suicidal tendencies.  We Vietnamese should spend more type playing xbox, which in my case, has contributed to at least 12 IQ points depression.

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 11:13:37 AM »
how does the phenotypic IQ show up lower than the genotypic IQ?

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 01:25:02 PM »
how does the phenotypic IQ show up lower than the genotypic IQ?

I remember seeing old data on average IQ in China showing 99.5 and now it's around 105. I think the data was from 30+ years ago.

As populations get better nutrition and more resources their IQ rises closer to the genotypic potential.

I'm a fobulous fob

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 11:16:53 AM »
so phenotypic IQ is measured by the IQ test, correct? how do you assess genotypic IQ?

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 07:10:35 PM »
genome wide association analysis

https://www.nature.com/articles/mp2017121
A genome-wide association study for extremely high intelligence
D Zabaneh, E Krapohl, H A Gaspar, C Curtis, S H Lee, H Patel, S Newhouse, H M Wu, M A Simpson, M Putallaz, D Lubinski, R Plomin & G Breen
Molecular Psychiatry
doi:10.1038/mp.2017.121
Download Citation
GeneticsPsychology
Received:
17 November 2016
Revised:
20 March 2017
Accepted:
11 April 2017
Published online:
04 July 2017
Abstract
We used a case–control genome-wide association (GWA) design with cases consisting of 1238 individuals from the top 0.0003 (~170 mean IQ) of the population distribution of intelligence and 8172 unselected population-based controls. The single-nucleotide polymorphism heritability for the extreme IQ trait was 0.33 (0.02), which is the highest so far for a cognitive phenotype, and significant genome-wide genetic correlations of 0.78 were observed with educational attainment and 0.86 with population IQ. Three variants in locus ADAM12 achieved genome-wide significance, although they did not replicate with published GWA analyses of normal-range IQ or educational attainment. A genome-wide polygenic score constructed from the GWA results accounted for 1.6% of the variance of intelligence in the normal range in an unselected sample of 3414 individuals, which is comparable to the variance explained by GWA studies of intelligence with substantially larger sample sizes. The gene family plexins, members of which are mutated in several monogenic neurodevelopmental disorders, was significantly enriched for associations with high IQ. This study shows the utility of extreme trait selection for genetic study of intelligence and suggests that extremely high intelligence is continuous genetically with normal-range intelligence in the population.

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »
^ Ooh they identified 3 SNP’s:

rs4962322
rs4962520
rs10794073

The 1st and 3rd are covered in 23andme, so you can look up what you got for those. Problem is I didn’t see what are the base pairs that indicate high IQ?

DNA.Land did something similar looking at 16 SNP’s that were shown to be correlated with intelligence from various published studies. They didn’t look at the 3 SNP’s in the new study above though.

Here are my results compared to other DNA.land users. Somewhat above average, but maybe DNA.land users are not representative of the general population.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:33:46 PM by 大越 »
I'm a fobulous fob

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most common last name in VN?:

* University Connect

* Recent Posts

* News Feeds

* Realm Love Aquarium