collapse

* SF State University

Refresh History
  • Liliaceae: Butterflies are migratory creatures, non? I'm sure they've adapted to the changing climate here.
    March 07, 2017, 02:47:22 PM
  • gaden: I did see a lot of butterflies in Golden Gate Park.  I'm surprises they don't get blown into the bay because it's very windy there.
    March 07, 2017, 10:21:16 AM
  • Liliaceae: SFS is located between some very urban spaces with heavy traffic. Butterflies are usually found in Golden Gate park.
    March 06, 2017, 11:25:17 PM
  • gaden: I'm surprised SFS is located in a desert?
    March 05, 2017, 07:58:21 PM
  • gaden: I was just asking because there's a butterfly and dragonfly buzzing about
    March 05, 2017, 07:57:43 PM
  • Liliaceae: No, unfortunately. There are more desert plants than flower, pollen/nectar rich types.
    March 05, 2017, 02:24:31 PM
  • gaden: Does SFS have a lot of butterflies and dragonflies?
    February 28, 2017, 07:02:50 AM
  • Liliaceae: Oh hey! Sorry I hid the chat wall.
    February 27, 2017, 10:57:49 PM
  • gaden: -shsolder -shsolder  now!
    February 26, 2017, 08:24:55 PM
  • gaden: Chat something
    February 26, 2017, 08:24:16 PM
  • gaden: Hey Liliacease, did you see the chat wall?
    February 26, 2017, 08:24:04 PM
  • gaden:
    August 03, 2014, 01:06:16 PM
  • gaden: Then you won't fit in your ao dai.
    March 13, 2014, 08:53:50 PM
  • gaden: Don't sleep too much. you're back will grow longer.
    March 13, 2014, 08:53:12 PM
  • bé map: i cant start up one. im too busy and lazy these days. all the time i have i use to nap
    March 13, 2014, 12:16:33 PM
  • bé map: i dont believe you mrs quoc
    March 13, 2014, 12:16:13 PM
  • Qu Đơn: i am no loser mr. linskees1. I AM HARVARD grad.
    March 13, 2014, 04:12:03 AM
  • gaden: you can start by yelling at people
    March 12, 2014, 10:07:57 AM
  • gaden: I guess you are the president of VSA in SF State
    March 12, 2014, 10:07:02 AM
  • bé map: no
    March 11, 2014, 02:46:18 PM
  • gaden: is there any Vietnamese groups in SF State?
    January 31, 2014, 09:05:19 PM
  • bé map: shut up loser
    January 31, 2014, 02:04:41 AM
  • Qu Đơn: so hard for my immigrant brain
    January 30, 2014, 10:41:42 AM
  • Qu Đơn: i am in university learning english
    January 30, 2014, 10:41:34 AM
  • Qu Đơn: hello friends
    January 30, 2014, 10:41:25 AM
  • gaden: any organic chemistry? I heard that's tough
    January 30, 2014, 10:18:02 AM
  • bé map: mmmm just my physio and anatomy stuff
    January 30, 2014, 10:01:54 AM
  • gaden: what assignment are you working on?
    January 30, 2014, 09:48:10 AM
  • gaden: You gotta start somewhere
    January 30, 2014, 09:47:45 AM
  • bé map: Oh dang why my school lol
    January 29, 2014, 02:34:55 PM
  • gaden: -shsolder
    January 29, 2014, 01:13:52 PM
  • gaden: Shout!
    January 29, 2014, 11:48:42 AM

Author Topic: Bay Area Gardening  (Read 1223 times)

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • Executive Secretary of the Secretariat
Bay Area Gardening
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:46:14 PM »
OJ, what grows best this season in the bay area?  Since I'm not from around there my mini garden lord sense doesn't align.  I want to send someone some plants to grow.

I'm thinking maybe some cool season plants like snapdragon or cabbages.

Offline Liliaceae

Re: Bay Area Gardening
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 10:34:04 AM »
The Bay has so many different climate cultures, so whatever OJ grows will not probably fare well with me :(

On any given day it is possible to have a 15-25 F difference between SF and SJ. My general climate is more misty, foggy, and overcast with the occasional burst of low-warmth emitting sunshine. I would very much like to grow something that I can equally use.

Offline Liliaceae

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 02:45:37 PM »
Would anyone happen to know how to dry/press flower petals for decorative purposes? Came across this yesterday and noticed that the purple was still vibrant (not brown and lifeless). I find it a bit difficult, because most organic material tend to rot. The environment here has also been very humid, with thick moisture.

Offline Liliaceae

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »

Here's a microclimate map of San Francisco that I find 90% accurate.
Blue (cool, misty, overcast); Orange (dry, warm, sunnier).
(Sorry about the size. There was no option to reformat.)

Quadrant three should actually be blue.

Topographically, SF is really fun in the sense that the terrain is challenging. I've seen some of the most structurally innovate gardening additions made to private yards. And they vary by that person's culture. Same goes for the front of the house. One block may contain houses with 5 different fronts. Lots of Spanish, Asian, German, and Mediterranean influences. Others are modern and whimsical.

The challenge with renovation is hauling material to and fro the yard since most properties *do not* have separate side entrances. You'll need to lug it through the garage to the backyard. Another is noise pollution. Neighbors are wildcards. Most I find are passive aggressive. They'll file a complaint with the city instead of notifying you first. Ugh.

The trick to maximizing space is building upwards. Layers. And finding multiple purposes in one nook. The bed for the tree also doubles as a bench. The wall is visually appealing as it is versatile for growing various herbs and spices.

^ I love this design a lot. It's not as rigid nor modern. The oversized palms overhead gives the illusion of privacy and space. It's tiny but brimming with life.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:11:07 PM by Liliaceae »

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 08:06:43 PM »
Would anyone happen to know how to dry/press flower petals for decorative purposes? Came across this yesterday and noticed that the purple was still vibrant (not brown and lifeless). I find it a bit difficult, because most organic material tend to rot. The environment here has also been very humid, with thick moisture.

Is that Statice? It's great for drying and preserving.  The colors doesn't fade when dried. 

I heard people freeze dried flowers to preserve it.  You could also press it in a book.

Offline Liliaceae

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 11:21:22 PM »

Is that Statice? It's great for drying and preserving.  The colors doesn't fade when dried. 

I heard people freeze dried flowers to preserve it.  You could also press it in a book.

I had to look that up but yes, it looks like it. Your knowledge of botany is amazing. I love how statice comes in different colors. Have you grown them before?

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
I had to look that up but yes, it looks like it. Your knowledge of botany is amazing. I love how statice comes in different colors. Have you grown them before?

Yes, I have grown statice before, a long time ago.  I forgot if it is an annual or biennial.  Thanks for conjuring up my memories.  I might look for it and plant them again.  I remember it had very deep solid colors.

I remember pressing the cut flowers in a book to preserve them but I forgot which book.  It's probably in a book that I never read, and it's lost forever.

Offline Liliaceae

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »

Yes, I have grown statice before, a long time ago.  I forgot if it is an annual or biennial.  Thanks for conjuring up my memories.  I might look for it and plant them again.  I remember it had very deep solid colors.

I remember pressing the cut flowers in a book to preserve them but I forgot which book.  It's probably in a book that I never read, and it's lost forever.

I'm curious what the title of this book is.. @gaden, pressing his lovely flowers in a book. If you were a Disney princess you'd be Belle handsdown :P

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 09:29:14 PM »
I'm curious what the title of this book is.. @gaden, pressing his lovely flowers in a book. If you were a Disney princess you'd be Belle handsdown :P

The only books I've ever read fully was Life in Hell by Matt Groening and some Playboy magazines.  I have 100 other gardening, traveling, and engineering books but I only skimmed over them. 

Offline Liliaceae

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 11:34:55 PM »
Sharing some inspiration. Modern Vietnamese architecture + open green space. Really enjoying this simplistic, close to nature concept.

Offline Liliaceae

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 11:43:53 PM »
I found this pretty upsetting considering how much volunteer work I've put in with environmental restoration projects around the bay. So much disbelief...

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/03/for-clean-energy-a-hazy-path-ahead-under-trump/

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 03:34:37 PM »
I found this pretty upsetting considering how much volunteer work I've put in with environmental restoration projects around the bay. So much disbelief...

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/03/for-clean-energy-a-hazy-path-ahead-under-trump/

What are you working on for clean energy?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 05:45:09 AM by gaden »

Offline Liliaceae

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 11:53:31 PM »

What are you working on for clean energy?

Right now? Just learning about and teaching others how photovoltaics work. Syncing it up into a power source and using for appliances have been pretty fun instead of relying on grid source.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 09:33:55 PM »
Right now? Just learning about and teaching others how photovoltaics work. Syncing it up into a power source and using for appliances have been pretty fun instead of relying on grid source.

You mean solar panels?  Can you hookup some solar panels to my home trailer?  Can it run all the appliances in that trailer?

Offline Liliaceae

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 11:06:52 PM »

You mean solar panels?  Can you hookup some solar panels to my home trailer?  Can it run all the appliances in that trailer?

Yep! Solar panels! Should be easy to do once you get a schematic going. I thought you were an electrician? C'mon @gaden, hook 'em up yourself. Don't be lazy  :p

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 04:52:29 PM »
Yep! Solar panels! Should be easy to do once you get a schematic going. I thought you were an electrician? C'mon @gaden, hook 'em up yourself. Don't be lazy  :p

What?!  How can I be a mini lord electrician when my slave won't do the work for me?

I have a few solar panels but I don't have the right kind and size of batteries to power some of the appliances.  I need at least 5,000W, mostly because of the AC.  I've been using a big car battery but it doesn't last long. 

Offline Liliaceae

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 10:58:18 AM »

What?!  How can I be a mini lord electrician when my slave won't do the work for me?

I have a few solar panels but I don't have the right kind and size of batteries to power some of the appliances.  I need at least 5,000W, mostly because of the AC.  I've been using a big car battery but it doesn't last long.

Whoops. Can't help you there. I don't know know much about AC systems to understand specs and how much energy they require to run for more than several hours. Most homes here are not built with an AC.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »
Whoops. Can't help you there. I don't know know much about AC systems to understand specs and how much energy they require to run for more than several hours. Most homes here are not built with an AC.

I tink I'm going to eliminate the battery and get an in-grid inverter and connect the solar power directly to the grid.  That way it should feed back some of the excess power.  And you would always have power any moment without the sun.

I see there are a lot of windmills in the SF area too.  What are you guys doing?  Stealing wind from other people?

Offline Liliaceae

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 11:41:06 PM »
I tink I'm going to eliminate the battery and get an in-grid inverter and connect the solar power directly to the grid.  That way it should feed back some of the excess power.  And you would always have power any moment without the sun.

I see there are a lot of windmills in the SF area too.  What are you guys doing?  Stealing wind from other people?

Really? There's only like... 1? But yeah I suppose we could learn about renewable energy from the Dutch.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »
Really? There's only like... 1? But yeah I suppose we could learn about renewable energy from the Dutch.

I remember traveling from Fresno to SF I saw a lot of windmills along the route near SF.  I probably passed through the Altamont Pass Wind Farm along highway 580.  I think you guys were trying to catch the polar jet stream.  You guys should stop that, or else you will slow down the rotation of the earth and cause El Nino or something.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:59:40 AM by gaden »

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most common last name in VN?:

* University Connect

* Recent Posts

* Realm Love Aquarium