collapse

Author Topic: How much should I spend on a meal?  (Read 293 times)

Offline Strawberry&Rasberry

How much should I spend on a meal?
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:36:05 PM »
I am going the route of food prep.  It's a situation where you don't want to spend time cooking everyday so you prep the meals in advance by putting them in bags and microwaveable containers.  Usually people prep food for about a week in advance because that is all their refrigerator could store.  I could prep for about 2 weeks. Some people have larger refrigerators and could prep for months.

The most important question is how much I should spend on a meal given that I can spend anywhere from 2-3 dollars a meal which contains rice, potato, tofu, chicken, egg, apple, orange, carrots to 8-12 dollars a meal which contains rice, clams, shrimp, fish, lobster, spinach, broccoli, artichoke, watermelon, grapes, etc.  The calories are the same and the nutrition like protein and fat the same but the food total items costs are different given that some types cost significantly more than others.

Offline literallyChina

• Bá-Khiêm
Re: How much should I spend on a meal?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:07:43 AM »
You could mix it up a little bit so week 1 chicken, week 2 seafood etc

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 03:42:47 AM »
Haochijile literallyChina, I think that's about right.  I could do the 2-3 dollars the first week and alternate with more gourmet items or alternatively do both and mix it up along the way.  So it would be more like 1 day 2-3 then next day 8-12.  I think sometimes I might even go the full vegan route for a day or two for either lunch or dinner to further mix it up.  Something like tempura of an assortment of vegetables and throw in a couple trail mix and snack bars.  Btw it's more about prepping for lunch and dinner right now as I'm thinking more about traditional Chinese breakfasts like Youtiao with soymilk in the future to replace the cereal and grits situation I have now.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • Executive Secretary of the Secretariat
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 08:38:17 PM »
Instant noodles and greens from your garden should cost you only 25c a meal plus it doesn't take long to prepare.  Maybe add some msg so that you won't get tired of the taste.

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 03:37:40 PM »
Instant noodles and greens from your garden should cost you only 25c a meal plus it doesn't take long to prepare.  Maybe add some msg so that you won't get tired of the taste.

Lol.

Around $5 a meal is good but it depends on your budget. If you want to save to the max then $3 a meal is reasonable. My cost is around $5 a meal. I can afford more but I don't eat that much meat. I eat lots of rice and fruit. Alcohol is the real budget blaster.  :)

Btw, are you guys banned on eb?

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 01:07:23 AM »
Meat is the most expensive.  For me it averages around half of the cost of food easily.  Imagine a meal that includes battered shrimp, maybe like 6 pieces 300 cal.  Well that's 3 dollars right there.  But shrimp isn't going to give you all the protein or all the calories so you have to get it from something else like snow crab.  Well 30-35 grams of protein is my target so I guess that's another 6 ounces of crab which is another 4 dollars.  Veggies and fruits, add another dollar, and bread and other miscellaneous items add another dollar.  Of course you can always mix and match because you try to buy bulk, but really seafood is what gets you.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:10:41 AM by Strawberry&Rasberry »

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 06:52:28 PM »
May I ask if you're eating to fill your stomach or are you eating to fuel your body?

Offline literallyChina

• Bá-Khiêm
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »
Lol.

Around $5 a meal is good but it depends on your budget. If you want to save to the max then $3 a meal is reasonable. My cost is around $5 a meal. I can afford more but I don't eat that much meat. I eat lots of rice and fruit. Alcohol is the real budget blaster.  :)

Btw, are you guys banned on eb?

No I'm not banned on EB I just followed RiseofKoba into vietrealm

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 05:59:27 PM »
May I ask if you're eating to fill your stomach or are you eating to fuel your body?

Doc I have to do both.  There's no point in eating a lot if it's just not nutritious enough.  My body would feel it.  I go prepping food according to the 2000 calories recommended intake and I watch for the protein as I think protein is what gives the body its most important basic nutrition.  I feel that is enough for me but sometimes I go to 2500-3000 just with feeling like more soda, ice cream, chips, instant noodles, coffee or whichever I had a craving for at the time.  So I probably do try to eat to fill my stomach but I feel the items have to be quite healthy too.

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 07:48:54 PM »
Doc I have to do both.  There's no point in eating a lot if it's just not nutritious enough.  My body would feel it.  I go prepping food according to the 2000 calories recommended intake and I watch for the protein as I think protein is what gives the body its most important basic nutrition.  I feel that is enough for me but sometimes I go to 2500-3000 just with feeling like more soda, ice cream, chips, instant noodles, coffee or whichever I had a craving for at the time.  So I probably do try to eat to fill my stomach but I feel the items have to be quite healthy too.

Interestingly enough I now seldom feel very hungry during my lunch breaks.  So I opted for a light meal consisting of a few eggs and an apple that not only energizes me but also leaves me without the common food coma and lethargy that ones usually get after consuming a big meal.

I often feel I get a higher net gain of energy from small meals during lunch than from a heavy meal that requires the body to use so much energy in digesting it.

I do agree with your assessment of protein.  However, the body requires an assortment of nutrients to function optimally. A single nutrient, however much you consume it, will not be enough and could even backfire on you.  Have you thought about the roles of mitochondria in relation to nutrients?  This is imperative to ones overall health and is the core of future medicine.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 03:43:08 AM »
Interestingly enough I now seldom feel very hungry during my lunch breaks.  So I opted for a light meal consisting of a few eggs and an apple that not only energizes me but also leaves me without the common food coma and lethargy that ones usually get after consuming a big meal.

I often feel I get a higher net gain of energy from small meals during lunch than from a heavy meal that requires the body to use so much energy in digesting it.

I do agree with your assessment of protein.  However, the body requires an assortment of nutrients to function optimally. A single nutrient, however much you consume it, will not be enough and could even backfire on you.  Have you thought about the roles of mitochondria in relation to nutrients?  This is imperative to ones overall health and is the core of future medicine.

I have done that on occasion.  I just boil a bunch of eggs I thought would go bad and I have that as a meal.

I look at nutrition in relation to the material it brings to the body.  I tend to think you are what you eat so it's like if I eat cartilage I'll maintain cartilage or if I eat protein I'll maintain muscle.  And if I eat the shell of the shrimp then even that adds to something like better hair/nails.  I feel it in my bones when I eat very nutritiously.  I have not looked at the mitochondrial aspect deeply but I think you may have told me that it has something to do with the natural cycles of the body.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:45:31 AM by Strawberry&Rasberry »

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most common last name in VN?:

* University Connect

* Recent Posts

This Body Mass Index Calculator now adjusts for "Asian" by Qu Đơn
[Today at 10:43:09 AM]

Should I be wary of Vietnam girls with too sexy couchsurfing photos? by 大越
[Today at 10:01:19 AM]

Communist China or Radical Islam? by 大越
[Today at 06:09:15 AM]

Vietnamese youths now head to the Philippines to learn English by Nagash.
[Yesterday at 07:34:55 PM]

Second-Generation Vietnamese-Americans' College Attainment Rate by 大越
[Yesterday at 07:13:57 PM]

Is Nguyen Tan Dung (former VN Prime Minister) Still Alive? by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 06:58:17 PM]

I hope viet kieus doesn't look up to this bonehead. by gaden
[Yesterday at 05:22:11 PM]

Why Hai Phong Vietnamese able to retain their Bac accent more than others? by gaden
[Yesterday at 05:18:46 PM]

I think the first Asian president of USA will be Filipino by gaden
[Yesterday at 05:14:40 PM]

Gaden is it formal and polite to call u chu or Anh? by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 04:44:51 PM]

Viet Kieu POP is losing to VPOP due to lack of originality by 大越
[Yesterday at 02:53:08 PM]

Philippines to launch own PPOP Billboard Chart to encourage domestic bands by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 01:30:44 PM]

Does VPOP exploit women? by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 01:09:04 PM]

Are VPOP fugly zombie idols better for young Vietnamese girls? by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 01:03:04 PM]

Can Viet Kieus create their own ''Taiwan''? by 大越
[Yesterday at 11:50:26 AM]

Boost productivity for Industry 4.0 by convoy
[Yesterday at 10:04:21 AM]

Filipino IQ is hugely underestimated by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 09:27:25 AM]

PPOP or Philippines Pop has the most potential, why is it not taking off? by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 09:18:48 AM]

* News Feeds

* Realm Love Aquarium

* Play the Snake