collapse

Author Topic: The Dazzling, Resilient Brain  (Read 941 times)

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
The Dazzling, Resilient Brain
« on: November 15, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »
Popular myth:  You are born with a genetically determined brain of a certain size and potential, and that's it.  There's little or no way to alter its capabilities and functioning; thus your chances in life are predestined and your fate sealed.

New scientific reality:  The brain is a growing, changing organ.  It's capabilities and vitality dependent to a large degree on how you nourish and treat it.  Thus you can dramatically influence your brain's functioning and your own destiny.  The long-neglected brain now being exposed to intense biological scrutiny, and the news is good for all of us.

Offline 大越

• Vietnamese
Re: The Dazzling, Resilient Brain
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 08:55:20 PM »
Provide links to interesting articles or studies.

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 09:01:06 PM »
Popular myth:  Neurons die quickly and irreversibly within minutes of being deprived of oxygen and glucose.

New reality:  Neurons found in the brains of humans who have been dead for up to eight hours had been successfully resuscitated by investigators.  They found that presumed-dead neurons from postmortem human brains, when bathed in artificial cerebrospinal fluid, literally came back to life and recovered the ability to burn oxygen and transport nerve signals along axons.  The speculation is some unknown mechanism protects neurons from death, and such surprising neuron survival suggests the brain damage may be reversed for a much longer period than previously thought.  It seems the spirit of Lazarus does exist in brain cells.

I will set this thread sticky and, from time to time, will add new materials concerning the brain functionality and health related to new discoveries as well as nutritional neuro-science.

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 09:08:51 PM »
Provide links to interesting articles or studies.
I don't currently have links to the studies in hand but will provide the researches if applicable.  Some materials posted here are from specialty publications and journals that I've read provided by the pharmacy I currently work at.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • Executive Secretary of the Secretariat
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 06:59:47 AM »
Does having more neurons constitute to having more memory or thought process?  I see that people with smaller heads are smart or as smart as people with big heads.  Doramon has a pretty small head, but why is she so smart?  I'd figure brain activity is driven by motivations, and you have to exercise your brains by learning to keep those neurons active.

If you don't use your brain, do the neurons die or do they stay dormant?

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:25:57 PM »
Does having more neurons constitute to having more memory or thought process?  I see that people with smaller heads are smart or as smart as people with big heads.  Doramon has a pretty small head, but why is she so smart?  I'd figure brain activity is driven by motivations, and you have to exercise your brains by learning to keep those neurons active.

If you don't use your brain, do the neurons die or do they stay dormant?

@gadenski
@大越

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1550735/

There are astonishing evidence that the way you use your brain can alter its very form.  Stimulating your brain intellectually and physically can actually cause measurable changes in its structure.  Such activities can prod the brain to produce new connections between neurons and even CREATE BRAND-NEW CELLS.  This was discovered when rats were raised stimulating environments(climbing tube, running wheels, games etc). 

Within only 4 days of exposure, the rats' brains went wild with new growth.  The density of their synapses and the length of their dendrites increased profusely and rapidly.  In short, the animals in the stimulating environment suddenly acquired more connections per nerve cell, more synapses, and a lush forest of dendrites.  Their brains also grew new blood vessels to transport more blood and oxygen required to feed the rat's more active brain cells.  Plus, the round bodies of the neurons grew bigger.  These rats, when put through their paces in mazes and other tasks, performed better and were smarter.

Even older rats put in similar stimulating environments also grew more new connections between brain cells, compared with those left to languish in a restricted, dull environment.  The only difference is the brains of the old rats sprouted new connections more slowly than did the brains of young rats.

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 10:15:16 PM »
@Strawberry&Rasberry

Let's talk about fats and why you shouldn't be afraid of them.  Most people would be scared of saturated fats, but what they don't know is if the fats are composed of MCT(medium chain triglyceride) such as in coconut oil, which is mainly saturated fat, then it is actually a very good fat.  The difference is MCT is a "soft" fat compare to LCT(long chain triglyceride) which is a "hard" fat.

I'll break down the differences in a cellular level tomorrow because 1) I don't have the time right now, and 2) it's gonna be a long read but really worth the time.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:22:06 PM by Olive Juice »

Offline NT

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 12:11:57 AM »
So that means neurons are capable of renew and rewire itself. If so then one should nourish it by feeding it healthy food for optimize functionary . As for spirituality one should rewire it for happiness and positivity by giving it positive reinforcements and do things that's fulfilling. In a sense, you can chose your own destiny. Now, aren't that great?

* University Connect

* Recent Posts

* News Feeds

* Realm Love Aquarium

* Play the Snake