collapse

Author Topic: If Japan and Philippines traded developmental fate, would Aseans be more snobby?  (Read 1282 times)

I mean I continue to see Southeast Asian inferiority complexes on many other internet fora and it has to do with economic development.  If history were different, and the Philippines became the first developed country in Asia, which then pulled other Southeast Asian countries along, do you think Aseans would see themselves differently?

Offline Guess

it's all about economic power. you just don't look down on the rich.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • The Grand Lord of Mopeds
If you look at the rich in VN, they are very snobby.  They are pretty much segregated from the poor people.  Rich kids don't play with poor kids.  They tend to behave like royalty even though they just make $30k/year.

Offline ASEAN Nationalist Party ( honorary Viet)

I mean I continue to see Southeast Asian inferiority complexes on many other internet fora and it has to do with economic development.  If history were different, and the Philippines became the first developed country in Asia, which then pulled other Southeast Asian countries along, do you think Aseans would see themselves differently?

it will erase the racial ladder theory.. & give moral boost/inspiration.. its what made koreans confident in tryng tbe just like japan.

Offline ASEAN Nationalist Party ( honorary Viet)

and you ll get less fakers out there sucking up to east Asians..

If the situation is mainly economic, why are Filipinos in America having inferiority complexes when they interact with other Asians?  Like where did all these Filipinos claiming 25% Castillian and 10% Basque and 8% Mexican get their ideas from? 

Vietnamese only making $110K in America and they already bragging when this income is not even middle class in most parts of coastal America. 

If you look at the rich in VN, they are very snobby.  They are pretty much segregated from the poor people.  Rich kids don't play with poor kids.  They tend to behave like royalty even though they just make $30k/year.

Haochijile

No because knowing them they would just corner themselves into other superficial things they would feel inferior by such as not having a grand culture in ancient times lol.

Offline Selurong

No because knowing them they would just corner themselves into other superficial things they would feel inferior by such as not having a grand culture in ancient times lol.
Admitting one's weaknesses is different than arrogance at least we conform ourselves to the truth after all humility is the mother of wisdom.

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

The Romance Metropolis of the Far East
"The City of Manila"

Haochijile

Admitting one's weaknesses is different than arrogance at least we conform ourselves to the truth after all humility is the mother of wisdom.

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

There's such a thing as having the correct ideals but whether or not implementing them so that they remain as ideals and not as compensation is quite another thing.  For example knights of the old were meant to have honor and noble ideals so that they protect the reputation of their houses but often times they may just end up taking their sword against someone who insulted their wife or something petty.  That's how you tell the difference between someone who is truly noble and someone who is truly not.  ;)

I think it has to do with the facts that even in the Philippines all the pretty rich has been Chinese.  So even when Pinoys immigrate to America and become successful, they always consider their own ethnic group as inferior to the Chinese. 

Offline Guess

Money = power. Look at the vnmese in little Saigon. No white person can look down on them.

The future Vietnamese American president knows Little Saigon well.  He went there as a kid for banh xeo and hu tieu.  Check out his memoirs coming out in 20 years.  Phondamentals: From Pho to Power and Little Saigon President depict his journey from a skinny kid to a famous entrepreneur and eventually president coming to a kindle near you.

bTW, Pinoys used to be big Republican supporters.  Now, they think they are Hispanic and want state sanctioned abortions.  Sad fall of a great people.

Money = power. Look at the vnmese in little Saigon. No white person can look down on them.

I think the Philippines would have a more positive impact on Asia if they were the first to industrialize instead of Japan. The Japanese see the rest of Asia as cash cows.  The Philippines would be more charitable as a powerful economic power.

Offline V-Unit

I dont see filipinos acting chickeny, just in a joking way or when someone else insults them. They arent like chinese or other east asians with their superior complex. Chinese insult everybody around them and piss people off. Japanese and korean have superiority complex, but i think japanese are a bit tamer. Most filipinos i've met were cool.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Why are you here? (I'm lost, I saw light, idn, dumb question):

* Recent Posts

Visit of Vietnamese President to Cuba by convoy
[Today at 10:26:44 AM]

Volunteer medical workers play an important role in COVID-19 treatment by convoy
[Today at 04:09:32 AM]

Japan has the best aesthetics by V-Unit
[Today at 12:39:58 AM]

Seeing how the peasant regime is handling the covid situation... by V-Unit
[Today at 12:29:29 AM]

Fighting smugglers during the pandemic by convoy
[Yesterday at 10:08:15 PM]

Viet kieu guys avoid these girls by gaden
[Yesterday at 04:46:15 PM]

White american guy rekts 3 viet fools by gaden
[Yesterday at 04:39:08 PM]

With Zero COVID impossible, Việt Nam should prepare to live with the pandemic: doctor by gaden
[Yesterday at 04:08:28 PM]

UNFPA associated with Việt Nam’s achievements in reproductive health by convoy
[September 21, 2021, 10:10:38 PM]

I scored 10/18 can you do better? by V-Unit
[September 21, 2021, 08:05:06 PM]

Colonial German soldiers vietnames family by V-Unit
[September 21, 2021, 08:02:10 PM]

has calling covid a china virus cause asian hate? by Guess
[September 21, 2021, 05:09:16 PM]

Vietnamese girl is far superior to Chinese, KOrean, Japanese. by Guess
[September 21, 2021, 04:57:49 PM]

Vietnamese culture you didn't know existed by Guess
[September 21, 2021, 03:02:01 PM]

Ancestor stories thread by Guess
[September 21, 2021, 02:46:03 PM]

Does the Tay Son Dynasty have a citadel? by V-Unit
[September 20, 2021, 11:26:11 PM]

and they say korean and japanese buildings are distinctive. by V-Unit
[September 20, 2021, 11:08:04 PM]

do all asians have flat butt? by V-Unit
[September 20, 2021, 10:55:30 PM]

With Zero COVID impossible, Việt Nam should prepare to live with the pandemic: doctor by convoy
[September 20, 2021, 10:37:30 PM]

Has anyone signed this? by V-Unit
[September 20, 2021, 07:32:53 PM]

Tay Son bronze drum by gaden
[September 20, 2021, 04:54:34 PM]

Can we get a better wedding song? by Guess
[September 20, 2021, 02:56:55 PM]

* Travel / Food

When in Rome... by Guess
[September 21, 2021, 03:04:34 PM]

* News Feeds

* Provocative Journalism / Destructive Power