collapse

Author Topic: Cultural appropriators, White People Banh Mi Food Truck!  (Read 328 times)

Offline Qu Đơn NYC

Cultural appropriators, White People Banh Mi Food Truck!
« on: June 16, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »
They put mushrooms in banh mi WTF?  This should be illegal.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:46:16 AM by gaden »

Offline 大越

• Vietnamese
Re: Filthy cultural appropriators, White People Banh Mi Food Truck!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:50:14 PM »
French bread sandwich isn't even an Asian concept anyway.

Offline Qu Đơn NYC

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 06:02:07 PM »
I was being facetious.  We live in a capitalist economy and I believe there is a place for everything and everyone.  The fact that there has been a rise in white cultural appropriators clearly illustrates the cultural decline of white Americans---they have stopped innovating.  I mean combustion engines, airplanes, canned beer, telephones and the internet.  So a white owned and operated banh mi food truck is just the nail in the coffin.   I was in Firenze last summer and I was surprised that a full Italian husband and wife team was selling kebab on a very busy tourist alley in Italy.   

Offline Qu Đơn NYC

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 06:05:23 PM »
Troi oi! these guys are operating out of Gaden´s backyard.  Gaden should give them a visit to give us his verdict.

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 03:42:22 AM »
I had Siracha maya as it was good. But I love homemade mayo on banh my.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • Executive Secretary of the Secretariat
Re: Cultural appropriators, White People Banh Mi Food Truck!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 09:00:36 AM »
Most banh mi places over here employ Hispanics to make the banh mi.  Some originality might have been lost.  Except that banh mi is easy to make, just slap on some meat and vegetables, I don't know what other things to make the banh mi authentic except to source the bread and meat at original places.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:07:04 AM by gaden »

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 01:27:09 PM »
homemade mayo. I  know this is lost among most sandwich shops in the US. Only a few places make them. For example, I  bought Banh mi from Lynda Trang Dai shop. They  have home made mayo. I think you make it from beating egg yolks and oil together. Supper rich and buttery. Yumm. But I don't  I  xa xiu meat. Too dry.

also  the cold cuts haave to be vnmese cold cuts.  If you use American cold cuts,  it's not the same.

what is also lost is the proper herb (should be mint or at least  basil) in the goi  cuon (spring rolls).  The shops get cheap and non  Vietnamese don't know the difference  so they only use lettuce in the roll and leave out the "he" or leeks. The flavor really kick up a few notches if you put  the leeks in.

Offline Qu Đơn NYC

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 06:38:27 PM »
I think the skills required to make a burrito is quite transferrable to making banh mi.  It involves mixing a bunch of ingredients together and some cosmetic wrapping.  I do prefer Mexicans to wrap that Subway or Quiznos because they are service oriented people.  When I see some white guy loaded with tatoos and mini o rings inserted in his ears I know my sandwich is going to taste like shiet. 

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 07:29:44 PM »
yeah, I like how Mexicans can make taco wraps at  home just like us eating wrap dishes with  banh   trang.

For example, you can just get a Costco  chicken, some beans, good salsa, and taco  shell and each person can make  their own mini  burrito  or taco.

Corner bakery used to make an Asian ispired sandwich  which I think was quite  good, they use pulled pork (melt in your mouth) with julien carrots, cilantro and a spicy sauce (like thai dressing),, on  a French sour dough roll.

I think if white people want to use our food for inspiration it's fine. It's actually and complement, that's how we become  more mainstream. just as taco, burritos, hamburgers are mainstream ethnic food.

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 07:33:46 PM »
oh one time I had a "banh my" at a hotdog shops. They make different kinds of sandwiches using sausages.  For the "hotdog" banh my they use Chinese sausage (lap  xuong), cilantro, chilli and julien carrot on a very nice dough.

I didn't care for it but it was still good. I told them next time  use pickled julen carrot.

Offline Qu Đơn NYC

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 05:13:58 PM »
you write like a foodie.  I bet you know what to cook for Qu when he comes over for a visit. 

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »
we can really do a lot here with these fusion type food? Have you ever had native American tacos? they are similar to Mexican tacos except they use indian bread instead, it's more doughy. the meat doesn't have the nice Mexican spices just plane ground beef but the bread kinda make up for it.

imagin banh mi indian tacos. Let see you can put vnmese bbq pork or xa xiu meat inside with homemade mayo, cilantro, and pickled radish inside indian bread since I don't like taco shell that much.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • Executive Secretary of the Secretariat
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 02:33:07 PM »
I don't think banh mi will work with with indian bread or taco wraps.  Banh mi needs an airy wrap to balance out all the ingredients.  Indian bread are to doughy which will dominate the taste.  I don't think taco shells will go with fish sauce or soy sauce.

One thing that could be good is have banh mi wraps with rice paper, like a sring roll.

* University Connect

* Recent Posts

Driving through Sibalom Antique...lol the sound of my voice included by Nagash
[Yesterday at 11:53:35 PM]

This explains the concept of race for most filipinos from the Philippines by Nagash
[Yesterday at 04:34:48 PM]

movie - Vòng Eo 56 by gaden
[Yesterday at 09:28:35 AM]

I'm conflicted with my vietnamese identity by 大越
[June 23, 2017, 07:16:32 PM]

The girls of National University of Laos by Qu Đơn NYC
[June 23, 2017, 06:08:03 PM]

What happened to makeupgeek? by Qu Đơn NYC
[June 23, 2017, 06:04:19 PM]

Is it appropriate to entice a nun or trying to win her love? by Qu Đơn NYC
[June 23, 2017, 05:59:40 PM]

More White Racism, Using Vietnamese as fashion photoshoot backdrops by Qu Đơn NYC
[June 23, 2017, 05:58:14 PM]

Vietnamese triplets graduate at top of class by Qu Đơn NYC
[June 23, 2017, 05:50:50 PM]

Differences between Chinese and Vietnamese Cuisine by gaden
[June 23, 2017, 12:56:57 PM]

Police to focus on synthetic drugs, smuggling by convoy
[June 23, 2017, 04:01:56 AM]

Vovinam or Viet Vo Dao martial art growing in popularity in USA by Qu Đơn NYC
[June 22, 2017, 04:10:36 PM]

Are 99% of Vietnamese who moved back to Vietnam to live pure LOSERS? by Qu Đơn NYC
[June 22, 2017, 02:59:30 PM]

Vietnam & Philippines Highest Gender Equality in Asia Pacific Region by Qu Đơn NYC
[June 22, 2017, 02:45:44 PM]

Better management of State assets needed by convoy
[June 22, 2017, 04:08:28 AM]

Balut! Philippines VS Vietnam (Who does it better?) by gaden
[June 21, 2017, 06:52:52 PM]

Vietrealm is worth $445 by gaden
[June 21, 2017, 03:35:48 PM]

Bac Ninh Citadel by gaden
[June 21, 2017, 03:29:45 PM]

* News Feeds

* Realm Love Aquarium

* Play the Snake