collapse

Author Topic: What is the biological advantage of beauty?  (Read 1134 times)

Online gaden

• Administrator
  • Executive Secretary of the Secretariat
What is the biological advantage of beauty?
« on: September 12, 2016, 10:03:37 AM »
What is the biological advantage of finding a beautiful mate? 

Why not a big strong type that can do housework?

Offline lalapaluza

Re: What is the biological advantage of beauty?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:56:44 PM »
you can make beautiful children. Looks confer an advantage in life.

Online gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 07:33:48 AM »
I think it is mostly attraction so that you can mate and ensure the survival of the species.  But wouldn't that eliminate some choices if the candidates for a mate is not that beautiful?  So, the available gene pool is reduced and chances of survival of the species is diminished.

I don't think our closest relatives, chimpanzees and gorillas and perhaps early humans, choose their mates based on beauty.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:06:06 AM by gaden »

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 01:14:09 PM »
animals don't care when they're in heat anything goes. VN society doesn't place as much emphasis on looks either.

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 08:37:24 PM »
If you have to ask you are probably ugly. 

Online gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 07:52:01 AM »
Beauty doesn't contribute to your well being in the biological sense.  Survival of the species should either be selected upon strength or intelligence. 

Most mammals show a test of strength for selection of a mate. 

Birds and lizards use beauty to attract a mate.  What is the purpose there?

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 08:04:26 AM »
Beauty is an indication that you are visibly healthy and free of disease.

If your face is not symmetrical then there may be something wrong . If your skin is not clear and smooth then there may be something wrong.
I'm a fobulous fob

Online gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 08:10:03 AM »
There are healthy ugly people and normal people.  But most people would rather find the most beautiful person.

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:27:37 AM »
we all prefer to look at beautiful things rather than ugly things right. Would you rather rather look at my beautiful painting or Tuan Vu?

a universally beautiful face and body have certain proportions that are hardwired to be pleasing. Like a healthy fruit that are round rather than mishapened.

Online gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »
I know people likes beauty but what advantage does it have?

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 11:39:38 AM »
There are healthy ugly people and normal people.  But most people would rather find the most beautiful person.

Look at it from the evolutionary perspective.

Having bad skin and malformed face doesn’t mean you are not healthy, but there’s a higher chance that you might be. Even if it’s just 15% higher chance, that is enough to make a difference in a species’s survival rate over multiple generations for an entire population
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline NT

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 07:38:07 PM »
double post

Offline NT

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 07:39:10 PM »

I think that's just the way it is. I know I am generalizing but from my observation:

girls like ripped dude with lots of money. and women tend to have hypergamous nature, they like to trade upward. if they can find someone better, they will move on to the next better man,

guys like beautiful women/cute/ or at-least someone "bang-able."  Especially guys in their younger/inexperience days, they tend to put attractive girls in a pedestal. They say "man she looks good, I gotta get her." and they point upwards. But often time, you will learn that girls in general are a pain in the azz or when she open her mouth that make you say "man, she's attractive but dumb as a rock. I can't imagine having kids with this woman." Hearing her talk your soldier shivered, you can't no longer get your johnson up because all the bullshit is not worth it.

As you get older you realize attractive girls are typically not that high in values. In fact most girls are inferior. They like to stood guys up, brainwashed with feminist values, and are a pain in the azz . It is better to focus on career and hobbies.  So, no, beauty is not everything.

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 08:22:12 AM »
NT got it right man. I wish we were pure like animals. the males just rape any female in heat. maybe there's a little bit of selectiveness but not so much as long as the female is young and healthy.

you never know the combination that turns out. look at Ho ngoc ha. her mom is kinda cute but nothing special. dad is tall but has ugly face. she turned out very attractive. 

Online gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »
I think you guys missed the point .  We choose and do things that's advantageous to our well being.  Beauty does none of that.

Let's say back in the days when humans were apes.  I don't think apes rely on beauty to attract a mate.  So how did it get to the point when humans choose mates based on beauty?

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »
Evolutionary advantage is the only advantage that counts when it comes to life. That means all life. Otherwise you’d be extinct.

Evolution works at the population level.

I already explained our attraction to beauty from an evolutionary perspective. Evolution had wired our brains that way, because our ancestors with this psychological trait survived.

Everything we like, dislike, our physical and psychological traits, everything, is a result of evolutionary survival.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:26:02 PM by 大越 »
I'm a fobulous fob

Online gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 02:03:56 PM »
Beauty does not equate to health.  There are ugly people who is 10 times the work of a pretty person.  For this reason I don't think it has anything to do with evolution.

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 03:16:07 PM »
Here’s an article on beauty. It doesn’t answer your question about why, but it does show that preference for beauty is wired into our brain.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6355-babies-prefer-to-gaze-upon-beautiful-faces/

Babies prefer to gaze upon beautiful faces
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 03:49:48 PM »
I think you guys missed the point .  We choose and do things that's advantageous to our well being.  Beauty does none of that.

Let's say back in the days when humans were apes.  I don't think apes rely on beauty to attract a mate.  So how did it get to the point when humans choose mates based on beauty?

lol, how do you know what the standards are for ape's attractiveness. maybe their standard would be big booties, big vagina which are beautiful in term of child bearing.

Offline NT

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 08:24:55 PM »
i think most people are good looking. the problem is that they dimmed themselves by being a bunch of lazy fucks. they don't hit the gym, eat healthy, and lose the frocking weights.

like girls who dolled themselves up, done their nails, have the make up on--but they won't get in shape and lose the frocking weight. Who the hell want to frock a damn land whale? In america to be attractive is very simple, if you're are relatively young and thin--most guys going to find you attractive. There are just too many damn land whales in this country. This fat acceptance culture with Oprah and dr. Phil to commiserator and encourage a slobbish existence.

being beautiful also mean taking care of yourself. and people who take care of themselves are attractive.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:15:33 PM by NT »

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most common last name in VN?:

* University Connect

* Recent Posts

* News Feeds

* Realm Love Aquarium