collapse

Author Topic: Vietnam Cultural Renaissance??  (Read 224 times)

Offline Qu Đơn

Vietnam Cultural Renaissance??
« on: October 27, 2017, 06:24:18 AM »
understanding the past is a hallmark of an advancing culture.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:29:09 AM by Vietrealmese »

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • Executive Secretary of the Secretariat
Re: Vietnam Cultural Renaissance??
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 07:51:42 AM »
Vietnamese culture is not about the upper aristocratic class where it encompasses probably less than 1% of the population.  Real Vietnamese culture reside in the rural areas among the common people.

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 08:00:13 AM »
I used to think like you but I am beginning to view Vietnamese history more holistically.  Peasants are nice and humble folks but they do not make history by changing the course of a nation.  All the Viet Minh revolutionaries were educated men from elite families and it was this background that led them to successfully expelled the French.  Vietnamese courtesans and princes led Vietnam towards the path of Southern expansion.  A bunch of peasants are not going to risk their lives doing that. 

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • Executive Secretary of the Secretariat
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 08:07:02 AM »
We are talking about culture not history.

The culture of the aristocratic class is just a copy of external general diplomatic culture.  How many people actually wear those clothes?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:13:34 AM by gaden »

Offline 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 10:57:24 AM »
This is the great rural culture of the north. Every northern rural village has annual festivals like these.

It would be nice if they can dress in more traditional attire as the 1st video above, and I think it will happen as they have better understanding and exposure to traditional attire. It costs more too, so only once they have more resources to do so as the economy steadily improves. Perhaps within 15-20 years.

I'm a fobulous fob

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 10:12:56 AM »
Copy and emulation are two different things.  The Vietnamese aristocracy tried so hard to copy Han Chinese but they still end up with a Vietnamese version of the real thing.  Kpop has tried hard to be American pop but they still end up as Kpop.  Call me elitist but I don´t find peasant culture that amusing or interesting. 

We are talking about culture not history.

The culture of the aristocratic class is just a copy of external general diplomatic culture.  How many people actually wear those clothes?

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 11:28:30 PM »
Vietnam´s urbanization rate will only increase in the future.  So rural culture is going to disappear.  I don´t know if rural culture can ever be preserved because there isn´t much of it that was recorded and systematically studied. 

Offline 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:36:02 PM »

Fabulous information about this festival.

http://www.vietnamtourism.com/en/index.php/news/items/11502

Around 50 boats along with 350 fishermen and 300 martial artists participated in a military parade on Luc Dau River on September 17. The event aims to re-enact the Tran Dynasty army during the second struggle against Mongolian invaders.

Dragon and lion dances and martial art performances made the atmosphere more exciting.

Another highlight of the Con Son-Kiep Bac Autumn Festival 2016 was a folk music and dance festival at Kiep Bac Temple on September 16-17.

The ritual means to praise Tran Quoc Tuan (or Tran Hung Dao), one of the most revered figures in Viet Nam’s history for his leading role in the country’s victories over three major Mongol invasions in the 13th century.

Covering an area of more than 8 hectares in Chi Linh Town, the Con Son - Kiep Bac historical site is closely associated with the lives and careers of Tran Hung Dao and great poet Nguyen Trai (1380-1442), who was recognised as a Great Man of Culture of the World by UNESCO in 1980.

Con Son - Kiep Bac was recognised as a national heritage site in 1962 and a special national heritage site in 2012.

The Con Son - Kiep Bac spring and autumn festivals were recognised as national intangible cultural heritage in 2012.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:18:52 AM by 大越 »
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 11:44:23 PM »
That´s my point in a nutshell that rural culture was developed out of marginalization.  The upperclass will always borrow heavily the culture from the upperclass of other countries, rarely do they copy the customs of the lower classes unless there is a political reason to do so.  English polo was taken from Persian royal horse games which were taken from Mongol Empire´s royal horse games.  Take the popularity of Tennis in Vietnam in the 1990s and earlier which was considered an upperclass past time because the French colonialists popularized this sport.  Now it is considered a middle class sport and most Vietnamese a listers only play golf.  I didn´t really meet many of the commie politboro at night clubs but as soon as I hit the golf club they all want me to be their friend or son in law due to my near perfect putting form. 

Offline 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 06:21:26 AM »
Oops I meant to quote my own response but accidentally modified it instead. Oh well.

Fabulous information about this festival.

http://www.vietnamtourism.com/en/index.php/news/items/11502

Around 50 boats along with 350 fishermen and 300 martial artists participated in a military parade on Luc Dau River on September 17. The event aims to re-enact the Tran Dynasty army during the second struggle against Mongolian invaders.

Dragon and lion dances and martial art performances made the atmosphere more exciting.

Another highlight of the Con Son-Kiep Bac Autumn Festival 2016 was a folk music and dance festival at Kiep Bac Temple on September 16-17.

The ritual means to praise Tran Quoc Tuan (or Tran Hung Dao), one of the most revered figures in Viet Nam’s history for his leading role in the country’s victories over three major Mongol invasions in the 13th century.

Covering an area of more than 8 hectares in Chi Linh Town, the Con Son - Kiep Bac historical site is closely associated with the lives and careers of Tran Hung Dao and great poet Nguyen Trai (1380-1442), who was recognised as a Great Man of Culture of the World by UNESCO in 1980.

Con Son - Kiep Bac was recognised as a national heritage site in 1962 and a special national heritage site in 2012.

The Con Son - Kiep Bac spring and autumn festivals were recognised as national intangible cultural heritage in 2012.
I'm a fobulous fob

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most common last name in VN?:

* University Connect

* Recent Posts

Poverty in Asean, United Nations by ngjm95
[Today at 12:43:59 AM]

This Viet Kieu Self Deported Himself to Vietnam, want others to follow by NT
[Yesterday at 09:28:49 PM]

things you learn when you're older by NT
[Yesterday at 09:17:28 PM]

WTH is this? by lalapaluza
[Yesterday at 09:12:47 PM]

Chinese Beverly Hills by 大越
[Yesterday at 09:04:18 PM]

Atreygutten´s VPOP Aesthetic Comes True! 1 Lần, Official MV, Trọng Hiếu by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 06:00:52 PM]

GOODBYE VR!! i'm leaving again... i luv u.. by JA DU ( transracial)
[Yesterday at 05:22:23 PM]

Le Dynasty reincarned junior king wants his throne throne back by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 04:23:08 PM]

USA Born Vietnamese Vs USA Born Filipinos by JA DU ( transracial)
[Yesterday at 04:12:51 PM]

Relegate Filipino news to Filipino section by JA DU ( transracial)
[Yesterday at 03:42:10 PM]

Vietnamosphere is too diverse, better being parochial by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 03:26:19 PM]

asians should not be lump together by JA DU ( transracial)
[Yesterday at 03:16:45 PM]

The Japanese don´t care about Vietnam by lalapaluza
[Yesterday at 12:58:35 PM]

Kpop invades America by gaden
[Yesterday at 11:50:00 AM]

Popular food but meh for you by gaden
[Yesterday at 11:48:03 AM]

Direct Flights from LAX to Saigon is the future, Thailand should be worried by gaden
[Yesterday at 11:45:20 AM]

Saigon should be the economic capital of Southeast Asia but it is not by gaden
[Yesterday at 11:39:45 AM]

Is there not a single Vietnamese in Vermont? by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 10:20:04 AM]

* News Feeds

* Realm Love Aquarium