collapse

Author Topic: We were Chinese before we became Vietnamese  (Read 377 times)

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
We were Chinese before we became Vietnamese
« on: November 02, 2017, 08:30:22 AM »
Ever wondered why 23andme show most Viets having 50% Chinese and why MyHeritage.com straight up combines Viets and Chinese into one category? Well, wonder no more. We were Chinese before we became Vietnamese.

This recent research paper in peer-reviewed science journal Nature proposes that prior to southern expansion the population of northern Vietnam were genetically Southern Chinese, and absorption of southern populations that occurred 800 years ago changed the genetic makeup of Vietnamese to what they are today.

“main admixture event occurring between Chinese and a southern Asian ancestral composite...This admixture event occurred ~800 ya, again coinciding with the Nam tiến.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-12813-6

Edit:

That link seems to be down at the moment. Alternative link:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320189972_Phylogeographic_and_genome-wide_investigations_of_Vietnam_ethnic_groups_reveal_signatures_of_complex_historical_demographic_movements
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:00:45 AM by 大越 »
I'm a fobulous fob

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
Re: We were Chinese before we became Vietnamese
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:43:04 AM »
They did genome wide analysis in looking at Vietnamese admixture as well as timing of this admixture:

“ALDER was used to estimate the time of admixture, which was shown to be statistically significant under an ad hoc z test (Fig. 5E). The best estimates point to an admixture event occurring about 32 (21–44) generations ago or ~800 ya (assuming 25 years per generation).”
I'm a fobulous fob

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 08:47:35 AM »
“The D-statistic, built as D(Y, KHV; CHS, OUTGROUP), indicates that the Chinese (represented by CHS) have an unquestionable contribution to KHV”

“The fact that the negative values are much higher in D(Y, KHV; CHS, OUTGROUP) than in D(Y, KHV; CHS, OUTGROUP) reveals that the Chinese component has a more clear presence in KHV. This result is in good agreement with ADMIXTURE.”

“the overall scenario is that present-day Vietnamese have a dual ethnic origin: a major component coming from South China, superimposed to a minor component originating from a Thai-Indonesian composite. The Nam tiến has probably been key for the configuration of the genome architecture of present-day Vietnamese.”
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:51:27 AM by 大越 »
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline Strawberry&Rasberry

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »
You are Zhongguo's fellow terracotta warrior.

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
most Vietnamese look southern phetypically southern, similar in look to some of the indigenous tribes. So I'd say were were mostly indigenous people.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • Executive Secretary of the Secretariat
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 10:15:29 PM »
Data doesn't show that Vietnamese are Chinese.  Vietnamese are most related to the northern minorities, excluding the Hmong.

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 11:07:56 PM »
Hehe, I expect denial.

Determination was based on genome wide analysis not just haplogroup.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:10:14 PM by 大越 »
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 10:04:16 PM »
This is the dumbest study I've ever seen.  The study was done by Westerners without any knowledge about social or geopolitical history of VN.

This quote refers to the Southern Han admixture, which encompasses Vietnamese and all the northern Vietnamese minorities as well.
“main admixture event occurring between Chinese and a southern Asian ancestral composite...This admixture event occurred ~800 ya, again coinciding with the Nam tiến.”

Anthropologically speaking they don't differentiate between Chinese and Kinh, all of the ethnics in northern VN.  Based on the small amount of admixture of the people from the south (Malay component), they used a mathematical model to deduce the interval of time when the northern gene (Kinh) started to migrate south.  The migration is a pure Kinh migration from the Red River Delta, not Kinh from China.

The article also talks about stratification and gene diversity of Vietnam, which means that there is not much mixing between the ethnic groups due to geography and cultural differences.  That's probably means the Hoa people as well because admixture results show the differences between all ethic groups.

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 10:29:44 PM »
The Southern Han reference they used was not Kinh or Northern Viet minorities, but rather CHS from 1000 Genomes, which consists of Han from Hunan and Fujian province.
I'm a fobulous fob

Xxx

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 01:46:03 PM »
I am dumb..low iq n all...but the premise of this topic is dumb as fukkk. I think  my iq dropped to single digit. Im not even retarded anymore but  more like a vegetable or rock. Fun my life  :(

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »
If you are dumb the best way to increase your intelligence is by associating yourself with members who are smart, like East Asians.  That's what most Asians in forums do.

But the study uses the CHS reference for Han Chinese because there is no reference for northern Kinh Vietnamese.  The Vietnamese genome is too diverse to use.  The whole premise of the study is to decipher how and when Kinh Vietnamese spread from north to south.

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 02:44:55 PM »

I truly believe commerce makes Asians smarter in a very selfish way.  Look at South Korea, China and Japan, these three countries year after year make the top 10 most polluted countries in the world with barely livable air quality in their major cities.  Asian intelligence is used for the most part to make money, regardless of the effects on people and the environment in the local community.  This Khmer guy taught himself Vietnamese to make more money serving Vietnamese tourists.  He basically used his intelligence to be integrated to a more advanced economy next door.  This is why I don´t believe Vietnamese have ever been Chinese.  It is like saying no we would rather transition to Vietnamese and become poorer thank you. 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:55:00 PM by Qu Đơn »

Offline NT

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »
There's nothing wrong with being Chinese. If you feel Chinese then that's all nice and dandy.

I've met a Chinese person that can speak Vietnamese and Cantonese fluently. She considers herself Chinese born in Vietnam--but when someone asked if Vietnamese and Chinese are the same, she said yes, but the language are different. She probably didn't know most of Viets words are Chinese borrowed. But anyways,  she has family in Vietnam, vacation in Vietnam, and I think she genuinely likes the country of her birth.

Point is, Chinese is still considered themselves Chinese, even hundred of years living in Vietnam. If Vietnamese were Chinese, they wouldn't call themselves Vietnamese. Because Chinese have strong identity beliefs, even their conquerers now considered themselves Chinese.  Chinese would never call themselves Vietnamese, this is silly.

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 05:21:01 PM »
the original poster is a Hoa Chinese.  They want so hard to be "respected" like the rest of Southeast Asia when Vietnamese look at them as meh. That explains everything.

There's nothing wrong with being Chinese. If you feel Chinese then that's all nice and dandy.

I've met a Chinese person that can speak Vietnamese and Cantonese fluently. She considers herself Chinese born in Vietnam--but when someone asked if Vietnamese and Chinese are the same, she said yes, but the language are different. She probably didn't know most of Viets words are Chinese borrowed. But anyways,  she has family in Vietnam, vacation in Vietnam, and I think she genuinely likes the country of her birth.

Point is, Chinese is still considered themselves Chinese, even hundred of years living in Vietnam. If Vietnamese were Chinese, they wouldn't call themselves Vietnamese. Because Chinese have strong identity beliefs, even their conquerers now considered themselves Chinese.  Chinese would never call themselves Vietnamese, this is silly.

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 05:52:57 PM »
It’s so obvious that people don’t see this:

Those who still call themselves Chinese in Vietnam are families who held steadfast and strong to their Chinese identities. Those without this characteristic have already assimilated, so you don’t see them, duh. You only hear from the non-assimilated folks. Dock 15 points from your IQ score for not getting this.

Look at Thailand, every Chinese call themselves Thai, have Thai names, only speak Thai, are culturally Thai, and identify as Thai. They are 100% fully assimilated.

Anyway, only those enlightened will pay attention to the genetic study, so you guys can run along and talk about peenis.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:03:49 PM by 大越 »
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline NT

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 06:15:41 PM »
It’s so obvious that people don’t see this:

Those who still call themselves Chinese in Vietnam are families who held steadfast and strong to their Chinese identities. Those without this characteristic have already assimilated, so you don’t see them, duh. You only hear from the non-assimilated folks. Dock 15 points from your IQ score for not getting this.

Look at Thailand, every Chinese call themselves Thai, have Thai names, only speak Thai, are culturally Thai, and identify as Thai. They are 100% fully assimilated.

Anyway, only those enlightened will pay attention to the genetic study, so you guys can run along and talk about peenis.
I respectfully disagree, sir.

The Chinese-Vietnamese girl I talked to is strongly assimilated, she have Viet name, speak Vietnamese better than Chinese, and her only known families are currently living in Vietnam. Yet, she considered herself Chinese born in Vietnam even if she never set foot in China. By the way, there is nothing wrong with this, because I believe in individual freedom. But to say she is not assimilated is just not true.

Chinese in Thailand are still considered themselves Chinese-Thai. They can speak Chinese, and half of them can trace their ancestors back to Guadong China. They're assimilated and intermixed, but their Chinese identity is still there.  They know and understand that they're mixed--their identity is not Thai but a hybrid. The Chinese identity is so strong that a Thai King would remember that he is partially Chinese.

If they only considered themselves as thai, speak thai, and nothing else--we would not known of their existence.  These people, they call themselves " Thai Chinese," sir.

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 06:22:21 PM »
I don’t think you understand Asia.

https://www.quora.com/Do-all-Thai-Chinese-identify-as-Thai

“Thai-Chinese here
Most Thai-Chinese in Thailand would considered ourselves Thai though, most don't speak any form of Chinese, most have Thai name, and most would be indistinguishable from ordinary Thai in all count.”
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:30:08 PM by 大越 »
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline NT

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 06:30:08 PM »
By default, all people born in Thailand are Thai, sir. Just as the Chinese in Vietnam, they're actually Vietnamese by nationality.

The point I am trying to make is that, they are aware of their hybrid heritage, and many still even have grandmother or father that speak Chinese in their home. They do not considered themselves as just Thai. They acknowledge their Chinese sides and can even traces back to its origin of migration.

Vietnamese Chinese can do the same. To say all Vietnamese somehow are actually Chinese and somehow we become a blank slate somewhere along the line...and that we can't remember out Chinese-ness...is ludicrous.

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »
You also said most Thai Chinese speak Chinese, which is wrong.

You speak to mostly Asian Americans who are pretty much all the same. I don’t think you understand Thai perspective.

Look at the quote from Thai Chinese person in my previous response. That’s what they say.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:33:55 PM by 大越 »
I'm a fobulous fob

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »
Vietnamese can’t even remember anything later than 100 years let alone 900 years.

When someone wears a giao linh they don’t even recognize it’s Vietnamese. The only thing they know is ao dai. They look at the picture below and don’t even recognize it’s Vietnamese. How do you expect them to know what Dai Viet was like a millennia ago?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:39:58 PM by 大越 »
I'm a fobulous fob

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most common last name in VN?:

* University Connect

* Recent Posts

Historic Trump accomplishments in Asia by 大越
[Yesterday at 05:59:00 PM]

Vietnamese Fighter Has Master Class Underdog Facade by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 04:10:30 PM]

Vpopfan.com has some supra hyphy remixes by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 03:52:02 PM]

Post your childhood photos by 大越
[Yesterday at 03:11:59 PM]

I feel like 90% of Filipinos secretly want to be Chinese by 大越
[Yesterday at 03:05:21 PM]

What makes Eastern Asians live longer than the rest? by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 02:43:55 PM]

Ho Dynasty Citadel restoration by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 02:21:02 PM]

Vietnam should drop Kpop and Tae Kwon Do by gaden
[Yesterday at 12:21:03 PM]

Pinay with IQ higher than Einstein's rejected from UK school by PimpMasterPro23
[Yesterday at 12:12:34 PM]

This guy is beast! Martin Nguyen goes 820kg@93kg ProRawSix by PimpMasterPro23
[Yesterday at 12:08:35 PM]

jolibee is now becoming mainstream in east coast by PimpMasterPro23
[Yesterday at 12:06:22 PM]

The future of Chinese military by PimpMasterPro23
[Yesterday at 12:05:43 PM]

Fried Pho should be the new name for Pad Thai by PimpMasterPro23
[Yesterday at 12:04:54 PM]

Tech Insider: Andrew Zimmern says Filipino food is the next American food trend by PimpMasterPro23
[Yesterday at 12:03:42 PM]

Purple Patch is America‰Ûªs Best Filipino Restaurant and Heaven For Foodies by PimpMasterPro23
[Yesterday at 12:02:23 PM]

This Vietnamese girl looks just like my mom by PimpMasterPro23
[Yesterday at 11:57:37 AM]

I refuse to consider myself Asian. by PimpMasterPro23
[Yesterday at 11:48:00 AM]

Does Vietnam have to be industrialized? by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 11:38:07 AM]

* News Feeds

* Realm Love Aquarium