collapse

Author Topic: White-born man claims he's 'transracial,' identifies as Filipino  (Read 116 times)

Offline JA DU ( transracial)

Now that's something you don't hear every day.

Ja Du recently sat down with WTSP to discuss his racial identity, telling the outlet that although he was born a white man named Adam, he feels Filipino. He now identifies as transracial.

"Whenever I'm around the music, around the food, I feel like I'm in my own skin," he said.

"I'd watch the history channel sometimes for hours you know whenever it came to that and you know nothing else intrigues me more but things about Filipino culture."

Although Ja Du can't change the way he presents outwardly, he's embraced all aspects of his identity as it relates to the way he lives his life.

He can often be found driving around his native Tampa, Fla., in a purple Tuk Tuk, a three-wheeled vehicle often used as public transportation in the Philippines.

Psychologist Stacey Scheckner told WTSP she's never had a client express a desire to change their race, but she has worked with a number of people who want to change their appearance in some way.

She told the publication anyone who feels drawn to another religion, race or culture should be encouraged to embrace those feelings and dive in completely

"If someone feels that they feel at home with a certain religion, a certain race, a certain culture, I think that if that's who they really feel inside life is about finding out who you are. The more knowledge you have of yourself, the happier you can be," Scheckner said.

"And, as long as it's not hurting yourself or anyone else, I don't see a problem with that."

Ja Du has yet to come out to his family as transracial. He told WTSP he worries they won't take him seriously.
Scheckner had some wise words for family members and others who may be critical of Ja Du's identity.

"If that's who they are and they want to celebrate it and enjoy it, then you have to think what harm is it doing? All they want to do is throw themselves into that culture and celebrate it," Scheckner added.

Ja Du told WTSP it's not his intention to appropriate anyone's culture or take advantage of things that may be offered to people of specific nationalities or races.

"I believe people will (take advantage) just like other people have taken advantage of their identity to get their way, but the difference between me and them Garin (Flowers, WTSP reporter) is that I don't want that. I think that we all have the freedoms to pursue happiness in our own ways," he said.
Ja Du isn't the first to come out publicly as transracial.

Perhaps the most notable transracial figure is Rachel Dolezal, the former president of the Spokane, Wash., chapter of the NAACP, who was revealed to be a white woman presenting as black.

http://www.eastbound88.com/content/1204-White-born-man-claims-he-s-transracial-identifies-as-Filipino#.WgnshYWcFPY

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
Re: White-born man claims he's 'transracial,' identifies as Filipino
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 11:45:05 AM »
Isn’t being transracial a criteria for being Filipino? When you’re Filipono you are required to celebrate your .01% Spanish ancestry or alternatively celebrate your 3% Chinese ancestry. For the latter you will have to latch onto what you know about Chinese culture by practicing Tai Chi, because you saw that on TV once where Chinese does Tai Chi.

You are then required to ignore 97% of your Austronesian heritage.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:54:27 AM by 大越 »
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:31:35 PM »
watching Pacquiao fights has that effect on people.   When he knocked Ricky Hatton down like a bowling pin he basically started the first transracial conversion via paperview.

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:27:20 PM »
I just skimmed through the video and caught the part where he says he’s also a transsexual. That explains his long hair, but why doesn’t he color it black instead of purple? Wouldn’t he want to look like a Filipino woman?

Like if I wanted to look like an Irish woman I’d color my hair red and develop an Irish accent and learn to play the fiddle.
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline NT

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 08:35:46 PM »
How sad...identity politic is destroying America.  Relatively speaking, it used to be a land of meritocracy , people focus on production, civic duties, and family. Now it is all about gender identity, skin color, feminism, and racial devision.  All these liberal teachers are ruin the youth and occupying their mind with pointless bullshit and victimhood ways of thinking. Now it is all about the patriarchy, culture appropriation, transgender, cultural- transgender, and other bullshit.

The other days I saw a four year old boys wearing a dress and lips stick. When I was 4  I play tag, swimming, and do things kids do-- I never thought about being sexually attractive to girls. So how does this child know he's a gay? Some parents go out of their ways forcing young boys to wear dresses, and lipsticks.

It is cringeworthy, indeed.

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 08:42:34 PM »
Tomorrow I am going to declare to the world that I am transpecies and act like an endangered animal to the police.  I will bite the cops but no no no they cannot shoot me.

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 08:44:57 AM »
LOL! I saw a video of a swedish transpieces woman who thinks she's a cat.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 10:56:07 AM »
I'm surprise that there's alot of people who wants to Filipino???

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »
Isn’t being transracial a criteria for being Filipino? When you’re Filipono you are required to celebrate your .01% Spanish ancestry or alternatively celebrate your 3% Chinese ancestry. For the latter you will have to latch onto what you know about Chinese culture by practicing Tai Chi, because you saw that on TV once where Chinese does Tai Chi.

You are then required to ignore 97% of your Austronesian heritage.

The original meaning of Filipino is a mestizo Aroma stisa basically a mixed-race of Natives and Spaniard.

We'll use it now as a description of race but technically and the original meaning of it is a mestizo

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most common last name in VN?:

* University Connect

* Recent Posts

Saigon should be the economic capital of Southeast Asia but it is not by lalapaluza
[Today at 11:00:21 AM]

Direct Flights from LAX to Saigon is the future, Thailand should be worried by lalapaluza
[Today at 10:40:37 AM]

This Viet Kieu Self Deported Himself to Vietnam, want others to follow by lalapaluza
[Today at 10:36:39 AM]

Is there not a single Vietnamese in Vermont? by Qu Đơn
[Today at 10:20:04 AM]

Vietcetera.com another overseas venture seeking to boost business in Vietnam by Qu Đơn
[Today at 10:16:50 AM]

What makes Eastern Asians live longer than the rest? by 大越
[Today at 10:01:14 AM]

if Viet Americans create their own 51st state, will you move there? by Atreygutten
[Today at 10:00:46 AM]

Public health is improving: Deputy Minister by convoy
[Today at 10:00:45 AM]

Popular food but meh for you by lalapaluza
[Today at 09:27:39 AM]

If women ran the world by lalapaluza
[Today at 09:18:49 AM]

The commercialization of Ho Chi Minh images by lalapaluza
[Today at 09:14:20 AM]

things you learn when you're older by lalapaluza
[Today at 09:12:14 AM]

The flickering flame of feminism in young hearts by lalapaluza
[Today at 08:58:54 AM]

Kpop invades America by Qu Đơn
[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

Should there be armed guards at schools and universities? by 大越
[Today at 08:55:00 AM]

Mugabe resigns for 'smooth transfer of power' by Qu Đơn
[Today at 08:40:22 AM]

Why can´t Vietnamese write their own Birthday song? by lalapaluza
[Today at 07:49:55 AM]

It is going to cost more to maintain Vietnamese heritage in the future by lalapaluza
[Today at 07:20:40 AM]

* News Feeds

* Realm Love Aquarium