collapse

Author Topic: Pangasius (basa fish)  (Read 215 times)

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • Executive Secretary of the Secretariat
Pangasius (basa fish)
« on: August 19, 2017, 08:36:59 PM »
Holy golly!  I just realized that basa fish is ca tra!  It's available all over the US supermarkets now.  I heard it's good.  It's used as a toilet cleaner in VN.

Would you eat it?

Offline lalapaluza

Re: Pangasius (basa fish)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »
Ok so I was wrong all this time. I thought cat fish was ca tra.

Basa is good but I hope the kind they export are not fed with feces.

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »
So you guys totally missed my fish war thread?

I made a post about this fish earlier...maybe last week or two weeks ago, that this fish is now hurting a lot of fishermen in richer countries since people outside of Vietnam cannot get enough of this fish.  Also, numerous websites purport this fish to be toxic and perhaps radioactive. 

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:58:38 PM »
Does anyone know if Vietnamese eat ca tra?

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:17:29 AM »
So you guys totally missed my fish war thread?

I made a post about this fish earlier...maybe last week or two weeks ago, that this fish is now hurting a lot of fishermen in richer countries since people outside of Vietnam cannot get enough of this fish.  Also, numerous websites purport this fish to be toxic and perhaps radioactive. 

yeah, when I looked up basa, turned out it is a kind of cat fish but better. doesn't have that muddy taste. Not that cat fish has it but there's still a faint muddy taste whereas basa doesn't. The meat is flakier. and the war is b/c basa is 1/2 the price and tastes better. I read on wiki  "Tests by Asda and Tesco in the UK have found no trace of toxic contaminants.[19] Test from AQIS found trace levels of malachite green, but no other contaminants"

what is malachite green? "The LD50 (oral, mouse) is 80 mg/kg.[citation needed] Rats fed malachite green experience "a dose-related increase in liver DNA adducts" along with lung adenomas. Leucomalachite green causes an "increase in the number and severity of changes". As leucomalachite green is the primary metabolite of malachite green and is retained in fish muscle much longer, most intake of malachite green would be in the leuco form. During the experiment, rats were fed up to 543 ppm of leucomalachite green, an extreme amount compared to the average 5 ppb discovered in fish. After a period of two years, an increase in lung adenomas in male rats was discovered but no incidences of liver tumors. Therefore, it could be concluded that malachite green caused carcinogenic symptoms, but a direct link between malachite green and liver tumor was not established.[9]"

ANYHOW, It may just be bad press from the American cat fish farmers but I'm wary too of vn (and china) toxic practice. For the time being I still eat cat fish b/c I can get a whole fish bone in to make canh chua, ca kho to.

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 10:46:41 AM »
Malachite is a copper based mineral (aka rock) favored by the Russian aristocracy.   Malachite green is a dark green characteristic of malachite minerals.  If you are into vintage jewelry (like my GF is) then you will inevitably have a small collection of Native American (mainly Navajo) and Mexican jewelry made from this stone along with turquoise which is also popular.  The hermitage museum in St. Petersburg has tons of malachite vases and columns.  The Hillwood Estate, Museum and Garden founded by Marjorie Post in Washington D.C. also has a huge collection of malachite Russian artifacts sold to her by the Russian communists when they ransacked the Romanovs´palaces and needed cash after the revolution to fight their civil war.  I believe the Russians´ love for the color green comes from the Chinese who loved their nephrite or jade green. 

look at Putin´s desk.  Malachite galore!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:52:05 AM by Qu Đơn »

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 10:12:13 PM »
Holy golly!  I just realized that basa fish is swai fish.  SAM'shas been selling tons of it in the frozen section.  I thought it was some sea bass or something because it looks like white meat.  I bought a few bags and ate it.  I can't remember what it taste like, or maybe the malachite in it caused my memory loss.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most common last name in VN?:

* University Connect

* Recent Posts

* News Feeds

More kids studying English at kindergartens by convoy
[Yesterday at 10:00:34 PM]

Province implements solutions to export star-apples to US by convoy