collapse

Author Topic: I hope the EU puts a economic embargo on Vietnam  (Read 330 times)

Offline UniFy

I hope the EU puts a economic embargo on Vietnam
« on: January 11, 2018, 04:27:30 AM »
The case of Trinh Xuan Thanh, however, may prove to be a turning point. Thanh, a former executive at the state-owned PetroVietnam Construction Joint Stock Corp., fled to Germany last year after being accused of embezzlement. While German officials were considering his asylum request, Thanh was abducted in Berlin, in what the authorities allege was a kidnapping orchestrated by Vietnam's intelligence service. When Thanh resurfaced on Aug. 3, he delivered a televised confession in which he claimed he had voluntarily returned home to face justice -- on charges that could carry the death penalty.

Germany has reacted to the incident in strong terms, lodging an official protest, summoning Vietnam's ambassador to the foreign ministry, expelling an intelligence officer, and threatening to revise its economic and aid relationship with Hanoi.

Far more pressing, the incident could jeopardize a long-sought free-trade agreement between Vietnam and the European Union. The EU is Vietnam's second-largest trading partner, trailing only China. In the past decade, trade between the two has expanded from $10 billion to more than $48 billion. The proposed deal would slash tariffs on products ranging from textiles to footwear to seafood, and give Vietnam -- a country heavily dependent on exports -- greater access to a market of 500 million people. By one estimate, the agreement would boost its gross domestic product by about 2.7 percent a year.

Yet even before the kidnapping, some EU states had been arguing that the deal ought to be ratified only on the condition that Vietnam improve its human-rights record. Angering the strongest economy in the EU bloc by conducting an extra-judicial detention on its territory will hardly improve thing

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-01-10/europe-has-completely-turned-the-tables-on-brexit

That's only way to deal with heinous communist thugs that violates sovereignty of nations and international laws. It will strangle the economy and you all know Vietnam is 80% dependent of foreign aid.

Offline lalapaluza

Re: I hope the EU puts a economic embargo on Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:44:38 AM »
So one gang member got snatched by the gang after a fallout, why should Germany get involved in protecting him?

Offline UniFy

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:12:01 AM »
No doubt this Trinh Xuan Thanh is a lowlife, but it doesn't mean you can go to another country and kidnap a person. When the commies do such things, they show no respect for the sovereignty of the Germany.

Offline Qu Đơn

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:31:32 AM »
Embargo just prolong the suffering of the Vietnamese people.  The best way to change Vietnam is to make Vietnam rich.  The current direction of Vietnam, with unbridled political purge, will inhibit growth for the next few years and this means less money for the VCP mafia.  Someone will get whacked when foreign reserves dry up and there is less money to curry favors.  It is no accident that you see strongman figure Xi emerging out of the economic slowdown in China.  I would not be surprised for growth to drop to 2-3 percent in Vietnam if they keep this up.  Commies these days are very spoiled.  Harvard and MIT charge a lot of money for tuition and those Bentleys run on very expensive fuel and imported Japanese chefs only work with expensive ingredients.

Offline 大越

• Vietnamese
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »
Embezzlement is a crime. He should be punished.

Attrebooger is such a hypocrite. Always talking about corruption but then is so forgiving in this case and pushes it further by voicing support in forcing poverty on Vietnamese people.

Despicable.
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline ngjm95

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:31:50 AM »
Soon ,you will heard Theresa May to talk about  trade with Vietnam.Despite of  Trinh Xuan Thanh  case the EU is about to finalize a FTA with Vietnam.
If Brussels in the name of Germany fails to negociate with Vietnam, a Brexit UK will be the great beneficiary . Most of the VN import-exports will go through UK to the "benefit of mister Kite"
The same game goes with US,China and Europe.
History shows it's not the first time a country forcefully extradites its own citizens.

Offline lalapaluza

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »
yeah, go get them, comrades!

Offline ngjm95

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 01:30:47 AM »
Soon ,you will heard Theresa May to talk about  trade with Vietnam.Despite of  Trinh Xuan Thanh  case the EU is about to finalize a FTA with Vietnam.
If Brussels in the name of Germany fails to negociate with Vietnam, a Brexit UK will be the great beneficiary . Most of the VN import-exports will go through UK to the "benefit of mister Kite"

They're coming!

Britain exploring membership of the TPP to boost trade after Brexit

Department for International Trade believed to be working on proposals to enter the troubled Trans-Pacific Partnership
Britain is in talks to join a trans-Pacific trade group to boost exports after the UK leaves the European Union, according to reports.

The government is exploring becoming a member of the Trans-Pacific Partnership to stimulate exports after Brexit next March and has held informal discussions with the group. If the proposals go ahead Britain would be the first member of the trade agreement which does not have borders on the Pacific Ocean or the South China Sea._The Guardian;

On the other hand ,we have an Angela Merkel  having  difficulties to form a new government . She has now to take into account  Germans' feeling against migrants

The geopolitics of this news  outwheigh the case of Thanh's extradition

" Money is gas...."

Offline ngjm95

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 08:48:44 AM »
Here we go_Australia says open to UK joining Pacific trade group after Brexit
British trade minister Liam Fox said earlier this year that joining the Trans-Pacific Partnership was an option for the country after Brexit.
Reuters Feb 19 2018

That means a raise of tariffs or an  embargo against one member of TPP will not be easy for EU to implement.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most common last name in VN?:

* Recent Posts

Take down the fountains by gaden
[Today at 03:23:09 PM]

Why do lady boys act like this? by gaden
[Today at 09:39:08 AM]

Get rid of these state-owned enterprises by gaden
[Today at 09:28:58 AM]

I think Kyle Le is Khmer mixed by gaden
[Today at 09:19:16 AM]

Seaport development must sail alongside logistics growth by convoy
[Today at 04:01:51 AM]

Ngoc lan (Michelia Champaca) tree by gaden
[Yesterday at 09:02:54 AM]

Post-harvest technology is lagging behind by convoy
[Yesterday at 04:03:28 AM]

The current regime must be replaced by technocrats and economists by UniFy
[April 22, 2018, 12:30:08 AM]

Meanings of Folk Songs by gaden
[April 21, 2018, 03:35:24 PM]

Palau and Japan are like Brothers by 222
[April 21, 2018, 09:43:01 AM]

OSS agent ,the founding father of the PAVN ! by ngjm95
[April 21, 2018, 12:56:57 AM]

Provincial departments with similar functions are to merge by convoy
[April 20, 2018, 10:01:50 PM]

Maybe one of the worst VPOP MV I've ever seen. by UniFy
[April 20, 2018, 05:55:12 PM]

Academic pressure is turning children into robots by convoy
[April 20, 2018, 04:00:36 AM]

What does it mean when someone calls you fat? by gaden
[April 19, 2018, 02:02:41 PM]

Grave site of Lạc Long Quân? by gaden
[April 19, 2018, 10:12:27 AM]

More post checks in food safety management by convoy
[April 19, 2018, 04:00:44 AM]

Vietnam overtook Singapore in IPO's by gaden
[April 18, 2018, 10:29:32 AM]

Invest in Vietnam right now by gaden
[April 18, 2018, 10:26:12 AM]

We are going to have bikini banking by gaden
[April 18, 2018, 10:18:27 AM]

Vietnam, 2nd highest IQ in Southeast Asia by JA DU ( transracial)
[April 17, 2018, 06:57:41 PM]

GERMANY: 40 THOUSAND VIETNAMESE REFUGEES TO BE SENT HOME by JA DU ( transracial)
[April 17, 2018, 04:37:07 PM]

CÔ GÁI M52 by gaden
[April 16, 2018, 08:42:08 PM]

Vietnamese Fine Art featured in Architectural Digest by Aadarsh
[April 15, 2018, 11:11:31 PM]

Bringing waterway transport to its full potential by convoy
[April 15, 2018, 10:03:20 PM]

* News Feeds