collapse

Author Topic: Trump derides protections for immigrants from ‘shithole’ countries  (Read 357 times)

Offline JA DU ( transracial)

President Trump grew frustrated with lawmakers Thursday in the Oval Office when they discussed protecting immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries as part of a bipartisan immigration deal, according to several people briefed on the meeting.

“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to countries mentioned by the lawmakers.
Trump then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries such as Norway, whose prime minister he met with Wednesday. The president, according to a White House official, also suggested he would be open to more immigrants from Asian countries because he felt that they help the United States economically.

In addition, the president singled out Haiti, telling lawmakers that immigrants from that country must be left out of any deal, these people said.
“Why do we need more Haitians?” Trump said, according to people familiar with the meeting.*“Take them out.”*

In November, the Trump administration rescinded deportation protection granted to nearly 60,000 Haitians after the 2010 earthquake and told them to return home by July 2019.

Lawmakers were taken aback by the comments, according to people familiar with their reactions. Sens. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) and Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.) had proposed cutting the visa lottery program by 50*percent and then prioritizing countries already in the system, a White House official said.*

A White House spokesman defended Trump’s position on immigration without directly addressing his remarks. White House officials did not dispute the account.*
[200,000 Salvadorans may be forced to leave the U.S. as Trump ends immigration protection]

“Certain Washington politicians choose to fight for foreign countries, but President Trump will always fight for the American people,” spokesman Raj Shah said in a statement issued after The*Washington Post first reported Trump’s remarks. “. . . Like other nations that have merit-based immigration, President Trump is fighting for permanent solutions that make our country stronger by welcoming those who can contribute to our society, grow our economy and assimilate into our great nation.”

Trump built his candidacy and presidency around hard stances on immigration, vowing to build a wall along the Mexican border and cut legal immigration by half, among other positions. Officials at the Department of Homeland Security have increased immigration raids, including dozens this week at convenience stores across the country.*
Trump’s comments Thursday also put further scrutiny on his long-standing tendency to make racially charged remarks — including attacks on protesting black athletes and his claim that there were fine people*“on both sides” after neo-Nazis rioted in Charlottesville, Va. Trump falsely claimed for years that Barack Obama was not born in the United States and took out advertisements calling for the death penalty for members of the Central Park Five — four black youths and a Hispanic youth who were accused of a brutal rape in New York and later exonerated.
1:21

A running list of countries Trump has insulted

President Trump referred to African nations and Haiti as "shithole" countries on Jan. 11. Here are other nations he has insulted. (Melissa Macaya/The Washington Post)
The president’s remarks were quickly met with scorn from Demo*crats and some Republicans and could throw another wrench into bipartisan discussions on immigration, which had shown promise in recent days, according to legislators.

Rep. Luis Gutiérrez (D-Ill.) said the comments “will shake the confidence that people have” in the ongoing immigration policy talks.

*“Democrats and Republicans in the Senate made a proposal. The answer is this racist outburst of the president. How can you take him seriously?” Gutiérrez said. “They [Republicans] don’t believe in immigration — it’s always been about people of color and keeping them out of this country.”

Rep. Cedric L. Richmond (D-La.), chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, said on Twitter that Trump’s remarks “are further proof that his Make America Great Again Agenda is really a Make America White Again agenda.”

Some Republicans also raised objections. Rep. Mia Love (R-Utah), whose family is from Haiti, said in a statement that Trump’s remarks were “unkind, divisive, elitist, and fly in the face of our nation’s values. This behavior is unacceptable from the leader of our nation.”

“My grandmother used to say,*‘Digame con quién caminas, y te diré quién eres.’ ‘Tell me who you walk with, and I’ll tell you who you are,’ ” said Rep. Adriano Espaillat (D-N.Y.), who represents most of Harlem and is an immigrant from the Dominican Republic, which shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti. “If he’s walking around with white supremacists and supporting them, this kind of talk doesn’t surprise me.”

The New York Times also reported last year that Trump said immigrants from Haiti have AIDS. The White House denied that report.
[White House: No deal yet on immigration]

In a statement condemning Thursday’s remarks by Trump, Haiti’s ambassador to the United States, Paul G. Altidor, said that “the president was either misinformed or miseducated about Haiti and its people.” He said the Haitian Embassy was inundated with emails from Americans apologizing for what the president said.

Democrats were quick to note that Trump employs Haitians at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida and that he praised Haitian Americans during a roundtable in Miami in September.

“Whether you vote for me or don’t vote for me, I really want to be your greatest champion, and I will be your champion,” Trump said at the roundtable.*

Alix Desulme, a city council member in North Miami, home to thousands of Haitian Americans, said the president’s latest remarks were “disgusting.”*
*“Oh, my God. Oh, my God Jesus,” Desulme said. “I don’t know how much worse it can get.”

“This is very alarming. We know he’s not presidential, but this is a low,” he said. “It’s disheartening that someone who is the leader of the free world would use such demeaning language to talk about other folks, referring to folks of color.”

Trump’s critics also said racially incendiary language could damage relationships with foreign allies.*

For many of Trump’s supporters, however, the comments may not prove to be particularly damaging. Trump came under fire from conservatives this week for seeming to suggest that he would be open to a comprehensive immigration reform deal without money for a border wall, before he quickly backtracked.
“He’s trying to win me back,” conservative author Ann Coulter, who has called for harsh limits on immigration, wrote on Twitter.*

Outlining a potential bipartisan deal, the lawmakers discussed restoring protections for countries that have been removed from the temporary protected status (TPS) program while committing $1.5*billion for a border wall and making changes to the visa lottery system. Lawmakers mentioned that members of the Congressional Black Caucus had requested that some African countries be included in a deal, according to a White House official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe a private conversation.

The exchange was*“salty” on all sides, this person said, with the president growing profane and animated while discussing immigrants from other countries.*“It did not go well,” this person said.*

[Trump wants to remove these immigrants. An ugly bit of history tells us what it could do to the economy.]
The administration announced this week that it was removing TPS status for citizens of El Salvador. Haitians were added to the TPS program because of a strong earthquake that devastated Haiti eight years ago.

Trump had seemed amenable to a deal earlier in the day during phone calls with lawmakers, aides said, but shifted his position in the meeting and did not seem interested in the bipartisan compromise.

The scene played out hurriedly in the morning. Graham and Durbin thought they would be meeting with Trump alone and were surprised to find immigration hard-liners such as Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) and Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) at the meeting. White House and Capitol Hill aides say Stephen Miller, the president’s top immigration official, was concerned there could be a deal proposed that was too liberal and made sure conservative lawmakers were present.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.ee266570b483

Offline Lavender

lol, Hillary's been caught a few times yelling F word but nobody made a big deal about it.

that's not presidential for sure but for sure he's not the only one.

lol, Hillary's been caught a few times yelling F word but nobody made a big deal about it.

that's not presidential for sure but for sure he's not the only one.

I cant defend Donald trump.. his a racists without a doubt.. however.. I still support his policy..

Offline Qu Đơn

Trump reminds me of Richard Nixon.  A piece of shiet of a man but his policies almost defeated the commies in Vietnam.  Too bad he got booted out of office. 

I cant defend Donald trump.. his a racists without a doubt.. however.. I still support his policy..

update.

1)new Legal immigration quota will only target English speakers
2)no more achor babies ...
3) no more chain migration..
4) legal immigration quota will be cut into half I think..
5) H1b Visa will revise or made harder ..

Offline 大越

• Vietnamese

update.

1)new Legal immigration quota will only target English speakers
2)no more achor babies ...
3) no more chain migration..
4) legal immigration quota will be cut into half I think..
5) H1b Visa will revise or made harder ..

Bye bye Filipino nurses.

I'm a fobulous fob

Trump reminds me of Richard Nixon.  A piece of shiet of a man but his policies almost defeated the commies in Vietnam.  Too bad he got booted out of office.

I need to run for Us senator someday or build a corporation that can lobby washington..

my first proposal on legal immigration

1) anyone whos anti-American cannot enter U.S

2) anyone naturalize-citizens ( who wasn't born here) who shows loyalty to foreign government needs to be deported back.

Offline Qu Đơn

I am unemployed, my job will not be affected! :)

Bye bye Filipino nurses.

US is starting programs that will train americans 1st .. instead of hiring Indians..

as for nurses..there are programs promoting to train americans 1st..

I or some other Filipino needs to speaks in the front of the white house & exercise our birth rights and everything that was promise by Pres.Roosevelt

It was only Filipinos & Japanese that fought for this country..

Dear Congress.

my people is only 1.2% of the US population.. were being lump together with Indians and east Asians who we have no connection what so-ever. who benefit from ancestors sacrifice.

we're part of U.S history, we want our own movies directed by Michael Bay.we have been here in the 15-16 century before this country was even born. we sacrifice our country in fighting japan, while the US went after Germany 1st.. so on... we almost became a U.S state..

I ask congress to honor my ancestors sacrifices & what was promised to us to be a American.. this will give integrity of words that America gives to the world and to its history..

I ask congress to Open the Door for my ancestral land, as my ancestral land open the door for American people..

Re: Trump derides protections for immigrants from ‘shithole’ countries
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 01:01:18 PM »
then.. this is when the immigration quote now targets more filipnos, Vietnamese, thais and Christian Indonesians/malays..

filipino & south east Asian population will be 10 to 25 million.. while east Asian will be 7 million..

this will be me in the future.. LOL j/k when I get old..

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 01:12:03 PM »
now the problem here.. is that Filipinos in Philippines are NOT dying to move to America.. only the uneducated slum poor.

the older people just want come and make money and go back...

it's only the young that really gets attached to be American.

Offline Lavender

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 05:48:44 PM »
Hillary called bill's aid "bastard jew"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/jul/18/uselections2000.usa

Hillary faces voters' wrath for alleged ethnic slur

Special report: the US elections

Michael Ellison in New York

Mon 17 Jul 2000 19.46 EDT  First published on Mon 17 Jul 2000 19.46 EDT 

View more sharing options 

Shares

Hillary Clinton is fighting a rearguard action to avoid further damage to her standing with the crucial Jewish vote in her campaign for a Senate seat after a claim that she once used an ethnic insult against one of Bill Clinton's aides.
A book out today claims that 26 years ago she called Paul Fray, her husband's campaign manager at the time, a "frocking Jew bastard".

Mrs Clinton denied the allegation and pressed the president into supporting her, but the author, Jerry Oppenheimer, said: "Three witnesses have now publicly acknowledged that she said it."

The Jewish vote accounts for 14% of the New York state electorate and is being courted assiduously by Mrs Clinton and her Republican opponent, Rick Lazio.

Mr Clinton won 80% of the bloc - traditionally sympathetic to the Democrats - in the last presidential election, but recent polls show that his wife has the support of only about 50%.

"I have never said anything like that, ever," Mrs Clinton said. "I have in the past certainly, you know maybe, called somebody a name. But I have never used an ethnic, racial, anti-Semitic, bigoted, discriminatory, prejudiced, accusation against anybody. I've never done it. I've never thought it."

Mr Clinton, who is trying to bring about a Middle East peace deal at Camp David, backed her up. "I was there on election night in 1974 and the charge is simply not true," he said.

"She might have called him a bastard, I wouldn't rule that out. She's never claimed that she was pure on profanity. But I've never heard her tell a joke with an ethnic connotation. She's so fanatic about it. It's not in her."

Referring to a "vast rightwing conspiracy" in previous elections, he said: "This is part of a pattern. They couldn't defeat me politically and they can't defeat her politically so they go after us personally."

Accounts of the dispute on election night 1974, when Mr Clinton failed to win a congressional seat representing Arkansas, have appeared before without the ethnic insult.

Those present at the inquest into the defeat were Mr Clinton, his then-girlfriend Hillary, his campaign manager Paul Fray, and Mr Fray's wife, Mary Lee. Neill McDonald, a campaign worker, was just outside the room and claims to have heard everything.

The Frays and Mr McDonald are the three witnesses on whom Mr Oppenheimer, a former reporter on the National Inquirer tabloid, relies for the passage in his book State of a Union: Inside the Complex Marriage of Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Mr Fray, 57, said yesterday: "I was a little defensive about it. I looked to the floor thinking 'How do I respond?' I didn't mind being called a son-of-a-beach, but when it came to attacking my culture, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

"You've got to understand it was the heat of the moment. We knew we had lost. It was a case of people lashing out at one another and it just got to that point."

Mr Fray is actually a Southern Baptist but says that he is one-eighth Jewish through his great-grandfather.

Mrs Fray said that her husband's recollection of the meeting, which lasted about an hour, was accurate. Mr McDonald said: "I don't know what provoked it or what. I just remember that one little comment."

Polls consistently show that Mr Lazio, a previously obscure congressman from Long Island, is neck-and-neck with Mrs Clinton.

He entered the race in place of the much better known New York mayor Rudy Giuliani, who withdrew because of health and marital problems.

Mrs Clinton has already had trouble with the Jewish vote and was booed when she took part in an Israel Day parade in Manhattan.

She was criticised last year during a visit to the West Bank for failing to rebuke Yasser Arafat's wife immediately for saying that Israel was poisoning Palestinian children.

Instead, she and Suba Arafat exchanged kisses.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most common last name in VN?:

* Recent Posts

Cute man by bé map
[Today at 04:33:23 PM]

What is the deal with Western Wedding dress? by Lavender
[Today at 04:26:02 PM]

23andme by bé map
[Today at 04:18:51 PM]

Natural calamity prevention needs local people support by convoy
[Today at 04:13:21 PM]

which game is better? by bé map
[Today at 01:55:04 PM]

What does getting high feel like? by bé map
[Today at 01:54:27 PM]

Hi There! by bé map
[Today at 01:42:07 PM]

Loss-making projects see progress towards growth by convoy
[Today at 04:02:23 AM]

Do you think this guy is good looking? by bé map
[Today at 02:15:40 AM]

What is sino-viet word for cow? by Vietfaces
[Yesterday at 05:11:59 AM]

Shanghai's crashing stock market has lost $2 trillion — more than the value of a by JA DU ( transracial)
[July 14, 2018, 07:50:15 PM]

Does Southern accent sound like a bird singing? by gaden
[July 14, 2018, 03:02:24 PM]

Does this seem right? by gaden
[July 14, 2018, 01:30:16 PM]

Finnish project helps drive innovation by convoy
[July 14, 2018, 04:10:18 AM]

Did ancient Vietnam have any overseas trading colonies? by Selurong
[July 13, 2018, 05:17:40 PM]

chinese guy ranting on vietnamese by JA DU ( transracial)
[July 13, 2018, 11:33:52 AM]

Arbitral ruling on South China Sea will have long-term impacts in dispute resolution: expert by convoy
[July 13, 2018, 10:01:00 AM]

An interesting series on Vietnamese history. by Selurong
[July 13, 2018, 05:14:28 AM]

Arbitral ruling in South China Sea will have long-term impacts in dispute resolution: expert by convoy
[July 12, 2018, 10:02:02 PM]

Ex-Apple engineer arrested on way to China, charged with stealing company’s auto by JA DU ( transracial)
[July 12, 2018, 04:20:41 PM]

US RELEASE the KRAKEN : Trump going all out war against China. additional $200B by JA DU ( transracial)
[July 12, 2018, 01:57:11 PM]

Special treatment must be given to people in the forefront by convoy
[July 12, 2018, 04:06:17 AM]

More than a third of Chinese millionaires want to leave China, here's where they by JA DU ( transracial)
[July 11, 2018, 06:02:18 AM]

asian girls with brand names? by gaden
[July 10, 2018, 08:30:08 PM]

Vietnamese protesters should learn soccer chants by gaden
[July 10, 2018, 08:26:15 PM]

* News Feeds