collapse

Author Topic: Do you think it's a good idea to prevent Westeners from being ripped off in VN?  (Read 765 times)

Offline arrow

• Manganize Me
I wanted to write an app that would prevent Westeners and stupid Viet Kieus from being ripped off in Vietnam whenever they buy something.

On the one hand it's the right thing to do. On the other hand it's not that much money anyway. And the Vietnamese people are poor and need financial support.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • Mini Slum Lord
It's good to help tourists from being ripped off. That way, more tourists will get a better impression of Vietnam and they might come back and bring more tourists to help stimulate the economy.

There's so many people getting ripped off that Vietnam might be known as a nation of thieves. This blog talks about scams in Vietnam, http://www.backpackingtravelpages.com/scams-in-vietnam/.

There is a law to punish Taxis from overcharging tourists, http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/taxi-driver-gets-comeuppance-for-ripping-off-foreign-tourists-in-vietnamese-capital-24128.html.

Offline Qu Đơn

The government rips off the people so the people rip off the tourists.  This is life in a repressive dictatorship like Vietnam and there´s nothing we can do about it. 

Offline Lavender

is this still going on?  there's no date on the article so it could be quite old

regardless, if you speak the language even when they know you're viet kieu less likely. I've never been cheated (that I know of :) over there b/c I always carried exact change and only used established taxi companies. I always haggled. it's really crazy you have to hangle to 1/4 of the price and still might pay too much. they can be aggressive and grab you if you pick up something and don't want to buy it. I just threw a tantrum and yelled back at them. 

Online 大越

• Vietnamese
This is why I think Vietnam will not be a tourist destination like Thailand. Viets are cunning rather than nice. It’s ok though, it’s better to have the bedrock of your economy based on manufacturing and engineering rather than on serving and being a servant to foreigners.
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline Lavender

that's wrong. Nothing wrong with tourism since it is a income generator. And everyone can appreciate good customer service. It's not subservient it's smart.

you see when people associate aggressive, petty "smart" or as we call it "khon vat" as a highly valued quality its actually a low quality.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • Mini Slum Lord
I think for food and housing, expect to pay half of what you pay for here in the US.  For electronics and cars, expect to pay 30-40% more.

Offline literallyChina

• Bá-Khiêm
If they get "ripped off" isn't it still cheaper than what they would pay for in America?

Offline Lavender

yes, If you keep this in   mind then you wouldn't get  so  upset.

however, it's human psychology.  people don't like be pushed around or cheated.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • Mini Slum Lord
I think if they can provide better service they can raise prices and the foreigners wouldn't feel ripped off.  Or a better way would be just to list the price in plain clear sight so there's no need to haggle.  Charge foreigners double while making a secret deal with the locals with a cheaper price.

Offline Lavender

people are willing to pay more for good service. I don't think it's a good idea to have two tier system for prices. you can have a "bargain" level restaurant and a high end one with different price points. if the foreigners don't mind sitting on plastic stools in the ally they pay less. if go to a fancy restaurant pay more. 

Offline Qu Đơn

A lot of people associate this price scheme with the Japanese but really it started in America.  Once made in USA consumer goods like Parker pens, Gilette razors and Ralph Lauren apparel all had a huge range.  They made products for college students and executives.  A lot of Japanese brands still try to maintain this as part of their branding.  As the middle class , and the associated social mobility, is shrinking around the developed world, this way of doing business will not be viable.  The poors today will not transition to the rich of tomorrow  We will continue to see more tiered pricing structures based on brand.  This explains why Seiko has Credor and Toyota has Lexus.

people are willing to pay more for good service. I don't think it's a good idea to have two tier system for prices. you can have a "bargain" level restaurant and a high end one with different price points. if the foreigners don't mind sitting on plastic stools in the ally they pay less. if go to a fancy restaurant pay more.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the most common last name in VN?:

* Recent Posts

Malaysians, Indonesians richer, why their cultural impact is nonexistent? by Qu Đơn
[Today at 10:11:59 AM]

Filipinos are not ugly! We're sexy chick-magnets. by JA DU ( transracial)
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Vietnam´s future soldiers too Jollibee for Cui Chi tunnels??? by JA DU ( transracial)
[Today at 10:04:47 AM]

The Racist Rant of Geraldine Lovely: Is this a typical Filipino? by JA DU ( transracial)
[Today at 10:04:11 AM]

This Chinese Claims "Kinh" are actually rebellious "Han" by JA DU ( transracial)
[Today at 10:03:32 AM]

Communist insurgents in Philippines getting stronger by JA DU ( transracial)
[Today at 10:01:49 AM]

Democracy is dead in Cambodia by JA DU ( transracial)
[Today at 10:01:25 AM]

When official gov collapses in Philippines, Total War of Communists Vs Islamists by JA DU ( transracial)
[Today at 10:00:48 AM]

Pictures of Beautiful Ha long Bay by Selurong
[Today at 09:07:55 AM]

Vietnamese education system, how accurate is this? by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 09:40:22 PM]

USS Hue City--the only American battleship named after a battle? by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 09:21:24 PM]

Shadow Chinese Billionaires Invested Tons of Money into "Tesla Killer", FAILED! by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 05:23:22 PM]

21 Sikh Soldiers vs 1000s of Chinese - 1962 Indo-China war by JA DU ( transracial)
[Yesterday at 04:40:16 PM]

My mom wants me to date a Viet ghost by gaden
[Yesterday at 04:34:04 PM]

china is now building base in australia by JA DU ( transracial)
[Yesterday at 03:54:56 PM]

Are Kaity Nguyen´s big boobies the real deal? by UniFy(心臓盗人)
[Yesterday at 01:14:28 PM]

Vietnamese Must prepare for the Fifth Chinese Domination Era (year 2020-2120) by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 12:04:35 PM]

I wonder if this is Dora's project by gaden
[Yesterday at 11:17:28 AM]

Can someone help me with a physics question I have? by gaden
[Yesterday at 10:59:29 AM]

Melania trolled the press by Lavender
[Yesterday at 08:41:04 AM]

Cheesus by Lavender
[Yesterday at 07:28:22 AM]

poor infrastructures mean it is easy to create democratic government in Vietnam by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 05:38:45 AM]

Whatever happened to family jewels of the Nguyen Dynasty? by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 05:02:46 AM]

CSVN Nominate VNCH Troops Who Died Fighting Chinese to National Hero Status by Qu Đơn
[Yesterday at 04:32:17 AM]

Some natural beauties for Unify by UniFy(心臓盗人)
[Yesterday at 01:36:20 AM]

* News Feeds