collapse

Author Topic: Does Khmer sound like Vietnamese?  (Read 8863 times)

Offline literallyChina

• Bá-Khiêm
Does Khmer sound like Vietnamese?
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 02:37:41 PM »
I would appreciate it if you stop making idiotic assumptions about other people's motivations.

See, this is really more reflective of what you're thinking. All of the faulty assumptions you've made about my motivation is really a reflection about how you feel about this topic matter, not mine.

You have this mental block where you really do feel that SEA is inferior. Your history of ridiculing how Viet language sounds like retarded people shows it. To you, it's all a joke, because it feeds your trolling nature. You call this having a "naughty sense of humor".

It's all you theWalrus.

You also hate the fact that people like us have sinitic cultural traits that have been assimilated into our own. The fact is we can't deny or reject things that makes us who we are. If there are some similarities, it is just a result of historical events that lead us to where we are both culturally and genetically. You have a huge problem with this, but it is your problem not ours.

That is what I thought it sounded like. It was blunt, yes, but there is a hiccupy and a sudden drop in tone / bouncy / dipping sound in the Vietnamese alphabet which sounds jarring to non-Vietnamese.

The only way in which I can describe this is if you say "boing" like you are imagining a rather large object with a rotund surface dropping like 100 cm into a pool of water such that there is no splash, but a "boing" sound. There's a lot of that in it, which I think also appears in Khmer (?)

However, that's the initial impression. I listened to a lot of Vietnamese now and I don't think it's jarring anymore.

Also nobody is actually forcing you to use Sino derived culture. You are free to adopt other cultures too, or come up with something new.
[img width=440 height=120]http://orig05.deviantart.net/7f58/f/2011/296/d/0/ta_ge_by_taiyangg

Offline literallyChina

• Bá-Khiêm
Does Khmer sound like Vietnamese?
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 02:42:13 PM »
Hey thewalnut many people say Viet and Cantonese sound similar, are you butthurt by this?

Well no because they do share some similarities in the overall sound. I'm not Cantonese by the way.

However, I can distinguish them because Cantonese sounds more like "aiyah, lok jik ho ah" whereas Vietnamese is more like "anh nguc doi bac nem".

Also Cantonese doesn't have that bouncy dipping thing that is present in Vietnamese.
[img width=440 height=120]http://orig05.deviantart.net/7f58/f/2011/296/d/0/ta_ge_by_taiyangg

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • The Grand Lord of Mopeds
Re: Does Khmer sound like Vietnamese?
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 09:48:35 PM »
Doesn't matter who's related to who.  What I'm trying to get at is if two groups of people are in the same language family, there should be similarities.  From listening to the two groups speak I couldn't make out any words that I can relate to.  Khmer seems to place more emphasis on the consonants and is less tonal.   

Experts say that the Mon-Khmer language group developed along the Mekong river.  But the Viet people developed along the red river.  Maybe it's a cross between Mon-Khmer and Tai?

Offline RedWine

• Vietnamese
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 10:45:24 PM »
Khmer is non-tonal language. It is also multi-syllable. This is opposite of Viet. About 30% of Viet vocabulary is not Chinese-derived, so some of these would have the same root as proto-mon or proto-Khmer.

Most Mon speakers are in Burma, but it is a dying language.

Viet language is now categorized under its own Vietic category. Moung is the other commonly spoken Vietic language.
I'm a fobulous fob

Offline SailorNeptune

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
What language is this, nobody ever seems to know
Skip to 0:07
! No longer available

Lol,  I am not sure.  It sounds extreme North Viet to me.   

Offline SailorNeptune

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 12:44:50 PM »
My Khmer and Cantonese friend both say Vietnamese sound similar to Thai with a mixing of Cantonese.

Offline Lavender

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 11:51:01 AM »
in the same language family but due to a long diversion paths the languages are pretty much uncomprehensible from each other.

I think both Khmer and Thai/Lao have certain inflection/tones that sound similar to VN. Khmer has a generous amount of strong rolling "r" and also the consonant-consonant sound such as Kh-Mer or Kh-R, P-R sounds that don't exist in VN. To my ear this makes it sound distinctly not VN. Also Khmer is non-tonal another very distinct thing.
Thai/Lao and VN-Cantonese sound like VN b/c of the inflection/tonal quality.  I think Cantonese from VN have developed their own accent that is different from Cantonese in china. Many VN Chinese eve speak English with VN accent.

Offline Artanis

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 01:28:17 AM »
"Executor, I am Artanis. Though I have only recently been appointed Praetor, you can trust that I will uphold the honor and traditions of the Templar."

- Artanis introduces himself(src)

Offline 222

• ♪ J'ai Perdu Le Do De Ma Clarinette ♫ (French)
    • Google Viet Nam: Tiếng Việt / English / Français / 中文(繁體)
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 09:53:17 AM »
^^^

muong are practically Vietnamese. If you listen to their language is sounds like Northern/Nothern-central accent. The main thing is the inflection of the voice is different. I can't understand it but with caption I can recognize albeit it take  a lot of focus and careful listening but you can make out the words.

Muong language has also a large dose of Chinese loan words. whether that came from Vnamese or their are influenced independently I don't know. Try listening to this one:

Yes, I know, the Muong-Viet and Mon-Khmer people are different nation and groups, of course!

Although they are the same "family classification" called "Austro-Asia" by the Westerners...,
the Muong and other Vietic speakers in fact can't communicate with the Mon-Khmer people at all!

But interestingly, the Thai and Khmer speakers can understand some common words, as they share the large influences each other.

Most of modern Thai and Laos writing are also an ancient Khmer-derived writing system.

But one of the main differences for sure is the tonality system.
The Mon-Khmer is not tonal-system unlike the Thai, Laos, Viet and Hmong-Mianh dialect in Indo Chine peninsula.

What I want try to tell is, although the Muong are classified as Austro-Asiatic like the Khmer and Mon, they are practically really "Viet Namese".  :p

If you want to see "Real VietNamese", may be you should see the Muong people.

The Muong-Viet is also the tonal-system like the ethnic Hlai ((Thai: หลี่ Ley) and Yao-Mienh tribals in Hoi Nam Island.

The Muong people are proud minority people like Hmong-Mienh and the Dai people,
and they preserve well the remarkable Dong Son (Tong Shan) culture heritage, the Bronze Drum tradition, shared in Indo Chine peninsula and South China mainland.

Tieng Viet is closest relative of Muong, and it become the national / official language of Viet Nam speaking...

Well...

Sometimes the Viet speaking sounds 'alike' to Cantonese and even HakKa dialect like some people think.
But those languages are indeed really different and unrelated each other though.
南越國
NamViệt Quốc

(Nam Việt Kingdom / State) 204 BCE

Offline Believe

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 05:24:46 PM »
Your knowledge on SEA anthro is impressive bro..I'd like to see you publish an e-book on this subject for future researchers.

^^^

Yes, I know, the Muong-Viet and Mon-Khmer people are different nation and groups, of course!

Although they are the same "family classification" called "Austro-Asia" by the Westerners...,
the Muong and other Vietic speakers in fact can't communicate with the Mon-Khmer people at all!

But interestingly, the Thai and Khmer speakers can understand some common words, as they share the large influences each other.

Most of modern Thai and Laos writing are also an ancient Khmer-derived writing system.

But one of the main differences for sure is the tonality system.
The Mon-Khmer is not tonal-system unlike the Thai, Laos, Viet and Hmong-Mianh dialect in Indo Chine peninsula.

What I want try to tell is, although the Muong are classified as Austro-Asiatic like the Khmer and Mon, they are practically really "Viet Namese".  :p

If you want to see "Real VietNamese", may be you should see the Muong people.

The Muong-Viet is also the tonal-system like the ethnic Hlai ((Thai: หลี่ Ley) and Yao-Mienh tribals in Hoi Nam Island.

The Muong people are proud minority people like Hmong-Mienh and the Dai people,
and they preserve well the remarkable Dong Son (Tong Shan) culture heritage, the Bronze Drum tradition, shared in Indo Chine peninsula and South China mainland.

Tieng Viet is closest relative of Muong, and it become the national / official language of Viet Nam speaking...

Well...

Sometimes the Viet speaking sounds 'alike' to Cantonese and even HakKa dialect like some people think.
But those languages are indeed really different and unrelated each other though.

Online Rude Boy

• Cờ lờ mờ vờ, cờ lờ vờ
    • Austroasiatic Phenotypes
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2019, 04:21:00 AM »
I think its easier to compare Muong - a less sinicized Vietic language to Khmer language.

Muong song

Khmer song

Online Selurong

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2019, 05:19:03 AM »
I think its easier to compare Muong - a less sinicized Vietic language to Khmer language.

Muong song

Khmer song

Muong does sound similar to Vietnamese.

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

The Romance Metropolis of the Far East
"The City of Manila"

Offline SailorNeptune

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2019, 08:32:32 AM »
I understood 50% of muong in that song. The words were Vietnamese words.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Who is the newest member on the forum?:

* Recent Posts

China's economic slump in part due to robotic work force by Rude Boy
[Today at 12:23:17 AM]

Why Filipinos want Liangzhu culture by Rude Boy
[Today at 12:03:20 AM]

White woman anti west anti USA by Gāokējì
[Yesterday at 07:33:25 PM]

Việt Nam Fatherland Front – a true representative of the people by convoy
[Yesterday at 04:19:58 PM]

Question for Chinese guy: do you think China should rule Taiwan? by
[Yesterday at 07:40:05 AM]

Google, Apple looking to move production from China to Vietnam by
[Yesterday at 07:37:48 AM]

We need to conquer China with pho man. by
[Yesterday at 07:36:30 AM]

Zheng He went to the Philippines like once by
[Yesterday at 07:33:30 AM]

Dumb video says similarities between Chinese and Filipino...as if! by Gāokējì
[Yesterday at 07:03:52 AM]

Hong Kong doctor´s instagram flooded with love, claims Cantonese is a language by Gāokējì
[Yesterday at 06:14:02 AM]

Good supervision activities win people’s confidence by convoy
[Yesterday at 04:05:08 AM]

Vietnamese Gang bruh! We #Gang Gang yeey by Gang shizt
[September 18, 2019, 10:35:37 PM]

Western companies complained Viet commies sleeping on the job by Rude Boy
[September 18, 2019, 09:58:32 PM]

Thousands of Korean wives sold for $130 in China by gaden
[September 18, 2019, 05:30:23 PM]

Johnny Dang of Houston TX made Forbes cover as Hip Hop's de facto bling jeweler by
[September 18, 2019, 03:14:47 PM]

Funniest Chinese Toy Knockoffs by
[September 18, 2019, 03:08:09 PM]

Sorry China, I was wrong by
[September 18, 2019, 03:06:19 PM]

China Laos Railway Near Completion: Chinese invasion has begun by Rude Boy
[September 18, 2019, 08:01:12 AM]

The world would be better off if China just buys it in the future by Gāokējì
[September 18, 2019, 07:12:09 AM]

Nguyen Hue Pedestrian Street by Rude Boy
[September 18, 2019, 06:55:53 AM]

* China Affinity