collapse

Author Topic: I bought some Vietnamese Poetry books  (Read 2634 times)

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • The Grand Lord of Mopeds
I bought some Vietnamese Poetry books
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:26:32 PM »
I used the Vietrealm savings to buy two books on Amazon.  I'll be sharing the contents here when I receive the books.

One is An Anthology of Vietnamese Poems: From the Eleventh through the Twentieth Centuries.

This superb anthology brings together a thousand years of Vietnamese poems for the English-speaking world. Huynh Sanh Th“ng, widely regarded as the preeminent translator of the poetry of Vietnam, here presents more than three hundred poems by 150 poets, some celebrated, some obscure. Many of the poems are not otherwise available in English. 

The author's historical and critical introduction to Vietnamese poetry, and his abundant explanatory notes throughout the collection, assist readers in understanding and appreciating each work. Huynh observes that Vietnamese people in all walks of life compose, read, and listen to poetry; this collection of poems thus reveals much about Vietnamese language, literature, history, and culture. He has organized the poems—which range from ancient to very recent works—around nine main themes that include Vietnamese views of society, responses to foreign influences, and feelings about such universal questions as relationships between men and women, the role of art in life, and conflicts among social classes. A generous selection of twentieth-century poems represents the work of well-known poets, major political figures, and men and women of the Vietnamese diaspora after the Communist victory in 1975.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • The Grand Lord of Mopeds
Re: I bought Poem and Folk Music books
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:27:45 PM »
Second is Ca Dao Vietnam: Vietnamese Folk Poetry

During the Vietnam war, John Balaban traveled the Vietnamese countryside alone, taping, transcribing, and translating oral folk poems known as "ca dao." No one had ever done this before, and it was Balaban’s belief that his project would help end the war.

The young American poet walked up to farmers, fishermen, seamstresses, and monks and said, "Sing me your favorite poem," and they did. "Folk poetry is so much a part of everybody’s life, my request didn’t seem like such a strange proposition," Balaban writes.

The resulting collection—the first in any Western -language—became a phenomenon within the American Vietnamese community, but the book slipped out of print after the original publisher folded in the ’70s. This revised, bilingual edition includes new poems and an eloquent introduction explicating poetry’s importance in Vietnamese culture.

The Painting
The stream runs clear to its stones;
the fish swim in sharp outline.
Girl, turn your face for me to draw.
Tomorrow, if we should drift apart,
I shall find you by this picture.

"In early dynasties, Chinese emperors used to send out officials to record the poetry of the common people because folk songs were believed to be the truest indicators of popular feeling. . . . Consider this book such a sampling. Take it as a guide and enter this world of Taoist sages, parted lovers, melon gardens, concubines, exiled kings, wheeling egrets, rice paddies, bamboo bridges, shimmering moons, and fishtraps."—from the introduction

"These oral poems are direct (though not beyond slyness), simple in language, poignant. . . . Recommended for all collections."—Library Journal

John Balaban is the author of 11 books of poetry, prose, and Vietnamese translations. His Spring Essence: The Poetry of Hô Xuân Huong, has sold 20,000 copies. He lives in Raleigh, North Carolina, where he teaches at North Carolina State University.

Re: I bought some Vietnamese Poetry books
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 06:08:28 AM »
I plan to seriously add a Vietnamese section to my home library when I buy a house.  Right now, I have most history and cook books on Vietnam related topics. Would be so cozy in the frigid winter to read Vietnamese poetry as it is like warm bun rieu for the soul.

Re: I bought some Vietnamese Poetry books
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 05:01:03 PM »
Amazon has over 40,000 books related to Vietnam.  That is just a crazy amount of material.  This is only through my English searches.  French language has another 8,000 or so books covering a host of subjects.  Of course, Vietnamese language related publications are quite abundant as well.  With only about $200,000 library acquisition fund, I can basically stock a full library on Vietnam covering most of the humanities.  I am sure it is just a matter of time before our community comes together to build a world class Vietnamese museum with a library wing in America. 

Name: Email:
Verification:
What is love? (bird, flower, ephemeral of life, tattoo, idn):

* Recent Posts

Anyone remember this singer from the 80’s by Guess
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

buddhist & Christians compatible? R flips compatible with QUdon buddhist states? by
[Today at 12:22:01 AM]

overseas Vietnamese are good with commercializing buddhism by
[Today at 12:16:08 AM]

Pandering only in cultural theme makes Vpop lose their creativety by
[Today at 12:12:16 AM]

Feel the power of America's Apple by
[Today at 12:09:35 AM]

I will be the most fashionable woman by
[Today at 12:07:31 AM]

Single korean men dream of high visual vietnamese girls they can never have by
[Today at 12:05:31 AM]

Vietnam: ASEAN’s New De Facto Leader? by
[Today at 12:03:40 AM]

terorist attack in Century Mall (Little Saigon) San Jose, CA by
[Yesterday at 11:56:53 PM]

I don´t understand why Buddhists even exist in Vietnam by
[Yesterday at 11:52:56 PM]

VN comrades perfecting the seafood buffet (export coming soon) by
[Yesterday at 11:49:33 PM]

Welcome to Apple Supplier Bac Giang Province by
[Yesterday at 11:45:00 PM]

I have executive job for Gaden by
[Yesterday at 11:39:03 PM]

Damnn! Why is this girl so smart by Guess
[Yesterday at 11:18:09 PM]

random thoughts thread by Guess
[Yesterday at 11:05:17 PM]

Vietcong Tradition: Live for the people, Die for the people by Vietcong 5 Dzung
[Yesterday at 10:18:20 PM]

Chinese Girl returns to her Root by LeLouch Rebellion
[Yesterday at 09:11:11 PM]

This song has amassed more than 2 billion streams in China by Yes
[Yesterday at 02:06:59 PM]

Healight: The Moonshot Not Yet Heard Round the World by Olive Juice
[Yesterday at 11:58:05 AM]

Pollutant fees should be applied for wastewater treatment by convoy
[Yesterday at 10:05:26 AM]

Non gymmer comrade has balls to call this curvy girl fat by Guess
[Yesterday at 07:02:29 AM]

Vietnam highway boom by
[Yesterday at 06:52:43 AM]

Localities face shortage of facilities to repair water vessels by convoy
[Yesterday at 04:02:53 AM]

This is my fav vietnmese band now by Guess
[October 21, 2020, 10:20:07 PM]

Comrades hacked Wikipedia, changed Vietnam GDP from $240 Billion to $340 Billion by Vietcong 5 Dzung
[October 21, 2020, 09:55:08 PM]

Nutmeg marble makes sense for once by Guess
[October 21, 2020, 08:59:18 PM]

this girl just irks me by Guess
[October 21, 2020, 08:54:47 PM]

why do vietnamese women like to dye their eyebrows? by Guess
[October 21, 2020, 08:46:59 PM]

Vietrealm's new anthem: Today is Saturday I want to go to a bar by Guess
[October 21, 2020, 07:56:54 PM]

Gourmet spring rolls by Guess
[October 21, 2020, 06:38:33 PM]