collapse

Author Topic: Who says philosophy doesn’t pay?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline RedWine

• Vietnamese
Who says philosophy doesn’t pay?
« on: January 16, 2018, 03:47:51 PM »
“The quants and their algorithms may have taken over Wall Street. But one investment legend is making a big bet on a more old-fashioned mode of analysis: philosophy.

Bill Miller, the value investor who famously beat the Standard & Poor's 500-stock index for 15 consecutive years (and whose faith in bank stocks later won a mocking depiction in the movie "The Big Short"), has donated $75 million to the philosophy department of Johns Hopkins University.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/16/a-wall-street-giant-makes-a-75-million-bet-on-academic-philosophy.html?__source=Facebook%7Cmain

I'm a fobulous fob

Offline Lavender

Re: Who says philosophy doesn’t pay?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »
good use.

I had a bad expeience in philos class. It was hard and I was always late. The professor had a bad attitude probably thought I didn't take it seriously.

Offline NT

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 07:13:19 PM »

most philosophy majors are working as barista and other low end jobs. to make money you have to get a PHD and become a teacher. which means more years of your life wasted and you will be ass loved for tuition. totally not worth it. even as a teacher you have to beg for funds and public gullibility, coz it is not in demand.

dont show exceptions to the rule and claim that is the rule. stop misleading these kids.

you can learn philosophy at the library for free. save your money and years of your youth.

Offline Lavender

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:30:28 PM »
If they’re so smart how come they don’t become some sort of scientists. Analytical minds are a highly valued commodity.

Offline NT

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 07:34:49 PM »
l learn philosophy by reading books and take long walks in the woods. FOR FREE. and get this, there is this thing call the "internet" that you can search and read answers to philosophical questions and compare it to your own. and it doesn't cost you anything.

shhh, dont tell anyone. it's a secret.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • The Grand Lord of Mopeds
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 09:49:18 PM »
I learned philosophy by watching cartoons and holding my breath to get high.  I should've smoke some weed but I'm afraid of lung cancer. 

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 09:34:56 PM »
I learned philosophy by going to bed early to ensure multiple sex sessions before calling it a day. Man, those oxytocin sure makes me a powerful philosopher.

Greatest philosopher ever

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 12:37:33 PM »
I learned philosophy by watching cartoons and holding my breath to get high.  I should've smoke some weed but I'm afraid of lung cancer. 
Yay, someone who is not a pothead  -bow

That is almost like me. I watched Captain Planet, one adorable witch series and Pippi Longstocking and hey, world was blessed to have me   -heart
My obsessions to love and chase a man into eternity comes from this witch series. The witch loved him for decades, spelled him from the space ship to her witch castle and poor wizard (this man) was always as desperate for all chasing.
The Witch: wiu wau wou spells are in a throw  -wetkiss
The Wizard: -where I am?
The Witch: - You are here with me, are not you happy to see me?  -cutewink
The Wizard: - Oh no, not again, let me ouuuut... whooaaaah * cries in despair*
The Witch: - Oh daaarliiiing, take some coffee and you feel better, there there  -fallinlove
Cannot help, even less than decades of these witch stories made me spelled into love, see what they do for kids here   -shrug

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 05:27:36 PM »
Yay, someone who is not a pothead  -bow

That is almost like me. I watched Captain Planet, one adorable witch series and Pippi Longstocking and hey, world was blessed to have me   -heart
My obsessions to love and chase a man into eternity comes from this witch series. The witch loved him for decades, spelled him from the space ship to her witch castle and poor wizard (this man) was always as desperate for all chasing.
The Witch: wiu wau wou spells are in a throw  -wetkiss
The Wizard: -where I am?
The Witch: - You are here with me, are not you happy to see me?  -cutewink
The Wizard: - Oh no, not again, let me ouuuut... whooaaaah * cries in despair*
The Witch: - Oh daaarliiiing, take some coffee and you feel better, there there  -fallinlove
Cannot help, even less than decades of these witch stories made me spelled into love, see what they do for kids here   -shrug

You're mostly affected with philosophy when you are a child.  So whatever you learn as a kid will resonate the most. 

I used to watch space ghost and WWE Wrestling.  The most profound philosophy I get from WWE wrestling is from one of these muscle-bound philosopher saying, "These terrorists win is because they don't play by the rules.  But if they were go head to head with me I'm going to tear their head off!  That's how I play the rules!"  I guess that's how I applied my admin philosophy.

I guess Space Ghost is where I get the sarcastic humor from.

Space Ghost Coast to Coast

Be well <3

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 11:59:47 PM »

You're mostly affected with philosophy when you are a child.  So whatever you learn as a kid will resonate the most. 

I used to watch space ghost and WWE Wrestling.  The most profound philosophy I get from WWE wrestling is from one of these muscle-bound philosopher saying, "These terrorists win is because they don't play by the rules.  But if they were go head to head with me I'm going to tear their head off!  That's how I play the rules!"  I guess that's how I applied my admin philosophy.

I guess Space Ghost is where I get the sarcastic humor from.

Space Ghost Coast to Coast

Space Ghost and The Wizard, may they laugh at space together?  -laugh
I would love to laugh more to your sarcastic humor but I can see my humor, feminism, values or green care hurted someone in person. That was not on my to do -list and I never know what it is to avoid it so as lovable and perfect I am without any flaws on my galaxical shine I am not going to fight with him.
That means I have to give up on you  -cryraccon
But you are a fun cat-man, keep it that way and be well  -heart

***sprinkles genetical manipulated love and good energy parasites around forum boards and enjoys of the thought of becoming loveated brains***
 -mouseeat

Offline Gāokējì

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ageZStLec
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 02:18:05 AM »
Selurong is a philosophy grad, he's hurting from all the rich he got from it
No mystery to "made in China 2025", we are just destined to be top, that's how strong we are

Cheesy Olive

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 08:34:57 AM »
'Mens sana in corpore sano', I mean "a healthy mind in a healthy body" -kissyface

Somehow philosophy does not encourage a healthy body if all you do is sit around all day pondering so much unnecessary stuff.  -shrug

Puzzling isn't it sir junior.  -kissyface

Cheeses

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 04:37:24 PM »
Space Ghost and The Wizard, may they laugh at space together?  -laugh
I would love to laugh more to your sarcastic humor but I can see my humor, feminism, values or green care hurted someone in person. That was not on my to do -list and I never know what it is to avoid it so as lovable and perfect I am without any flaws on my galaxical shine I am not going to fight with him.
That means I have to give up on you  -cryraccon
But you are a fun cat-man, keep it that way and be well  -heart

***sprinkles genetical manipulated love and good energy parasites around forum boards and enjoys of the thought of becoming loveated brains***
 -mouseeat

One thing that I can recommend you on is that do not apply logic to much, people feels that they are being corrected.  No one likes to be reminded that they are wrong.  Plus, logic does not come out of your personal trait.  You charm the person with your personality, not with what you know.  One the other person has grown into you, you can insult the other person and chew them out whenever and wherever you want without really hurting their feelings.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Who is the newest member on the forum?:

* Recent Posts

Was Thomas Jefferson partly black himself? by Ch1nky Asian
[Today at 03:15:16 AM]

Why are aircraft carriers getting better by Ch1nky Asian
[Today at 03:08:42 AM]

Chinese boxer challenges heavyweights by Ch1nky Asian
[Today at 02:56:23 AM]

If Philippines was Monticello by Ch1nky Asian
[Today at 02:47:43 AM]

Entire Viet factory pander to Japanese by
[Today at 02:38:46 AM]

I am not a plant dude! by CoconutXO
[Today at 12:31:32 AM]

Vung Tau has biggest Jesus in Southeast Asia by Olive Juice
[Yesterday at 08:45:25 PM]

SEA Games 2019 by Past Seagames
[Yesterday at 08:41:48 PM]

Return of the rainbow by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 07:00:05 PM]

Vietnamese go back to Chinese level performance by
[Yesterday at 06:01:48 PM]

Cool Patios by gaden
[Yesterday at 05:02:07 PM]

Body positive people by gaden
[Yesterday at 04:48:28 PM]

Who says philosophy doesn’t pay? by gaden
[Yesterday at 04:37:24 PM]

Instrumental music by gaden
[Yesterday at 04:20:17 PM]

Women tell: Kindness for Europeans, religion and politics for Americans by Unicorn
[Yesterday at 03:02:08 AM]

Acceptance: The Key to a Happy Marriage by Chill bruhh
[December 04, 2019, 08:51:56 PM]

Mom gave birth to multiple babies without an amniotic sac by gaden
[December 04, 2019, 05:35:49 PM]

GAAAAAADEEEEEEN <3 <3 <3 by gaden
[December 04, 2019, 05:32:42 PM]

What Austronesians look like by All fixed
[December 04, 2019, 12:04:11 PM]

Standardisation of agriculture production benefits everyone: official by convoy
[December 04, 2019, 10:04:25 AM]

* China Affinity