collapse

Author Topic: Most Vietnamese people are not aware of Kinh diversity in physical appearance  (Read 1203 times)

Richie Le looks well within the range of Kinh.  There is no way he´s half white or whatever wtf...

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • The Grand Lord of Mopeds
A few Vietnamese people told me that I look mixed.  They said that it's because of the food and environment I live in.  One lady said I look middle Eastern.

I just met a Vietnamese lady in the parking lot of supermarket trying unlock a shopping cart with a quarter.  I was right behind her holding up my quarter to get another cart.  She didn't recognize me as Vietnamese so spoke to me in broken English.  I was waiting to see she would recognize me as Vietnamese and speak to me in Vietnamese.  So we were just standing there staring at each other trying to see who will make the first move, kind of like a gunslinger fight.  Then I just broke down and took the cart and went in.

Offline Guess

Richie le doesn’t look white mix but maybe like some Central American.

There are 90 million plus Vietnamese and our nation has had a long history of contacts with all sorts of races and peoples.  There will be African looking Viets, Scandinavian looking Viets, Slanty eyed manchu looking Viets, Vietnamesoid looking Viets and everything in between.  This Riche Le is well within the Vietnamesoid range.  There is nothing really exotic looking about him from an ethnographical point of view.  Some people think he looks Filipino or Thai well duh those folks are Vietnamesoids also.

Offline Guess

I used to think I can tell right off the bat who’s vnmese but I get confused many times. If I didn’t know this guy, I wouldn’t pick him out as vnmese.

Vietnamese, like the Koreans and Japanese, inherited ethnocentrism from the Chinese.  These people still to this day believe they are a homogenous lot when I continue to see so much physical diversity in their population in just one city.  To really know Vietnamese people is to first recognize the diversity.  At the end of the day, culture defines a people not physical traits. 

Offline Rude Boy

• Cờ lờ mờ vờ, cờ lờ vờ
    • Austroasiatic Phenotypes
He looks Filipino to be honest, might have Cham ancestry somewhere down the line.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
I think overseas Vietnamese and native Vietnamese generally look different because of diet and cultural aesthetic differences.  Foreign born Vietnamese kids intakes more milk and meat which changes bone and skin structures.  They also have different beauty routines and wear different clothing.

Perhaps if you put Riche Le into Vietnamese style garments and hairstyle then he might look Vietnamese.

Offline SailorNeptune

• Administrator
I get mistaken to be Filipinas all the time  -shrug Just yesterday, I was asked if I was Filipina lol.
In HK people spoke Cantonese to me all the time. 
Even in Japan some people would speak Japanese to me.
In Vietnam, they knew I was a Viet-Kieu. They don't know that my dad or mom is a Viet Kieu, but they knew I was.  -shrug
I think many Vietnamese have a Pan-Asian look. Rich does look a bit mixed, his look is a bit uncommon among Viets but I have seen Viets that looks like him before.  Gaden, you look more atypical Vietnamese than him lol.

Offline Guess

I’m afraid to send my DNA to these companies. They may discover something shady in my family tree and send relatives to jail. I could never live with myself.

Offline Tonkinese

Richie Le does look foreign to me  :p
When i had short hair and wore square glasses, people mistook me for Chinese or taiwanese
Now i grow my hair longer and dont wear glasses (or wear round glasses), Japanese or Korean mistake me for their own people
They were surprised when said i’m viet and asked again if my parents are Japanese  -shrug
They think viet all look Thai or typical southeast asian

Offline gaden

• Administrator
When I was strolling in the streets in VN the cyclo drivers keeps on harassing me to ride the cyclo and speaking to me in French. 

Then when I rode my bicycle in Dalat I heard some girls saying what nationality I am. 

When I was walking with my cousins in a resort area some of the locals tried to guess that I was Japanese.

When I was sitting with my distant relatives in my mom's hometown, some officials came and asked them what foreign guest are they hosting.

So I don't know what happened to my face to cause such ambiguity.  Maybe I should carry my DNA evidence to show them that I'm really Vietnamese but Urghur looking.

Offline Guess

I don't know why people say looking thai means looking malay. The thai (although not that many) I see in America are diverse looking as well. they look like in the range of vnmese tbh. In little Saigon, you see plenty of fili looking vnmese. You may see some subtle differences when you pay attention, like longer eyes rather than rounder eyes but for a casual observer, the overall look can easily be confused.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
I think southern Thai in Bangkok has Malay appearance.  Northern Thais are more mongoloid.

Offline SailorNeptune

• Administrator
I don't know why people say looking thai means looking malay. The thai (although not that many) I see in America are diverse looking as well. they look like in the range of vnmese tbh. In little Saigon, you see plenty of fili looking vnmese. You may see some subtle differences when you pay attention, like longer eyes rather than rounder eyes but for a casual observer, the overall look can easily be confused.

I met a few Thai that looks just like Vietnamese, some looks Chinese.  And yes, I do noticed that they range in look just like Vietnamese people.  I met a few Laos and they look similar to Thai or Vietnamese, they did not look like Malays.

it´s a compliment if you get the Filipino look.  It means you don´t have Mongolic-molested eyes, a very ugly feature in my opinion.  I don´t mind dark skin or flat nose but seriously Chinny eyes are the worst.  No genetic disease can give you dark skin or flat nose but some genetic diseases do give you slanty eyes.  Actually there was this one hot Filipina who asked me if I was Filipino and I said, "Si por supuesto".

Name: Email:
Verification:
Why are you here? (I'm lost, I saw light, idn, dumb question):

* Recent Posts

OJ.. we need to help GADEN, QU DON, ATHENA get rich with stocks! by Guess
[Today at 08:12:42 PM]

uncle Gaden can we have a VR financial section? by Guess
[Today at 08:11:13 PM]

Texas will handle the virus with fists and guns by Guess
[Today at 08:08:27 PM]

Vpop should change it's name to Sad Pop by Guess
[Today at 08:01:30 PM]

The lockdown has been a bonanza for billionaires by Guess
[Today at 07:29:47 PM]

Stocks & Trades by Guess
[Today at 07:27:01 PM]

Asian beaten up in nYC by Guess
[Today at 07:23:37 PM]

Is this a sign of aging? by Guess
[Today at 07:18:43 PM]

How do you get away from charity solicitors? by Guess
[Today at 07:11:04 PM]

New York home invaders attacking Chinese woman and putting gun to her head by 1r0n_m4n_xl
[Today at 02:17:13 PM]

US elites gain trillions during the pandemic by 1r0n_m4n_xl
[Today at 02:05:10 PM]

Where do Americans emigrate to? by gaden
[Today at 11:32:52 AM]

How could she speak Vietnamese in 80 hours learning? by gaden
[Today at 11:16:22 AM]

Bulgaria and Việt Nam: Charting the next decade of partnership and solidarity by convoy
[Yesterday at 10:41:48 AM]

Viral video of Vietnamese delivery man saving baby girl falling from 12th floor by UNIFY(하나로 하다)
[March 02, 2021, 02:20:19 PM]

Dogs must have evolved from VN by gaden
[March 02, 2021, 11:25:31 AM]

Vinfast hired 50 hipsters in S. Francisco RD office, wants US based factory by gaden
[March 02, 2021, 10:26:32 AM]

Vietnam is Southeast Asia´s Rare Earth Elements powerhouse! by
[March 02, 2021, 10:21:43 AM]

If the 2018 protest would have gone a bit longer by
[March 02, 2021, 10:18:55 AM]

I dare you guys to support democracy watching this Hanoi clip??? by gaden
[March 02, 2021, 10:03:30 AM]

* Provocative Journalism / Destructive Power

No posts were found.

* News Feeds