collapse

Author Topic: $285mil project to improve Vietnamese’s average height  (Read 3264 times)

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • The Grand Lord of Mopeds
$285mil project to improve Vietnamese’s average height
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
$285mil project to improve Vietnamese’s average height poses big concerns
http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/special-reports/93408/-285mil-project-to-improve-vietnamese-s-average-height-poses-big-concerns.html

VietNamNet Bridge - Economists and journalists are skeptical about the numbers on Vietnam’s social and economic indicators. Few people pay attention to a number that is also very important – the average height of Vietnamese people.

The project to elevate the average height of Vietnamese people was approved in 2013 with a budget of VND6 trillion (nearly $286 million).

It aims to increase the average height of young men to 167cm and 156cm for women by 2020. This goal is set based on the current average heights of Vietnamese men and women, the growth in height of Vietnamese the last ten years, and assumptions about the influence of genetic factors.
However, there are three things that should be discussed related to this project: the current height, the possibility of the targets, and the influence of heredity.

How tall are the Vietnamese at present?

The numbers on the average height of the Vietnamese released by relevant authorities are different.
According to the National Institute of Nutrition, the average height of Vietnamese men is 164.4cm and it is 154.8cm for women.

However, the project said that the average height of Vietnamese young men is 163.7cm and it is 153cm for young women.

A survey conducted in HCM City and Hanoi in 2012, with the participation of over 1,200 showed that the average height of Vietnamese men is 170cm and 156cm for women. But these figures may not be accurate for the entire Vietnamese people because the heights of the city's residents are often higher than the rural people from 1cm to 2cm.

However, the survey figures show that in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, the height of young people has reached the target of the project.

Is the project feasible?
The project aims to raise the height of young men by 3.3cm and 3cm for young women in seven years. The target figures are set based on the assessment in the neighboring countries such as Thailand and China, where every ten years, the average height increased by more than 2cm.
But in fact, no country could reach such a growth in height. A research work in Thailand, with over 86,100 people in the change in height from 1940 to 1990 showed that the height of men and women increased from 0.2cm to 1.2cm per decade.

A study in China showed that in three decades, the height of teenagers increased only 5.3cm in the urban and 5cm in the rural areas, or about 1.7cm in ten years.

In Japan, a recent overview by Dr. Tim Cole, who specializes in the study of height, showed that in 40 years (1950-1990), the height of young Japanese rose by 4cm.

Another research in Japan in 1900 - 2000 showed that on average, every ten years, the height of Japanese increased by 1.3 cm for men and 1.1 cm for women.
A study named Fels Study in the US revealed that after 50 years, the height of American increased by 4.8cm.
In the Netherlands, within 17 years, the average height rose by about 2cm for men and 2.3 cm for women.
Thus, no nation had their people’s height increase by over 2cm within ten years. The objective of Vietnam’s project, therefore, is too optimistic and ambitious.

The trap of average number
The problem is not the average height, but the difference of average numbers. For example, let’s imagine the following simple two groups: group 1 has two individuals with the height of 166cm and 168cm – and the average height is 167cm. group 2 has two individuals with the height of 145cm and 189cm – and the average height is also 167cm. Obviously, the "quality of development” of the first group is higher because the height is more evenly. This simple example shows that even if the targets are achieved, it does not mean that by 2020 the height of all young men will be 167cm and 156cm for all women.

In fact, the height of the individuals in a population is different. The differences between individuals can be measured by an index called the standard deviation.

Research on the Vietnamese people shows that the standard deviation is approximately 6cm in height. If the average height of all young men in Vietnam in 2020 is 167, with a standard deviation of 6cm, it can be estimated that up to 12 percent of young men are less than 160cm - a relatively low height . Similarly, if the average height of all young women will achieve the goal of 156cm, about 16 percent of women are still less than 150cm by 2020.

Therefore, the matter of the targets on height is not the average number but the minimum height.
It is needed to determine the minimum height to be achieved, and how many percentage of the population can reach the minimum target.

The next issue is what is the minimum threshold? To answer this question we need to have studies on the correlation between height and health, thereby determining the minimum threshold for optimal health.

Another target should be set is the age for achieving the maximum height. According to medical books, the age to achieve maximum height can range from 12-30.

Previous research works show that about 50 percent of individuals reach a maximum height at the age of 13-16, and about 40 percent of individuals reach a maximum height after the age of 16. Therefore, the criteria to be set should be the percentage of young people achieving the maximum height at the age of 13-16.

Influence of heredity factors is not only 20 percent
The project and some professionals stated that genetic factors affect only about 20 percent of the height but that figure is too low compared to reality.

Research works on the influence of genetic factors in height have been made since the 19th century. Most studies indicated that genetic factors have a great influence on the height, and range from 60-80 percent or higher.

The simplest and most effective way to see how genetic factors influence the height is through research on twins. A study of 12,000 twins in the world revealed that genes influence 80 percent or 90 percent of the growth in height.

In summary, the above data show that the currently average height of the population in a few large cities may have achieved goals set for 2020. But if the height of Vietnamese youth reported by the project is true and accurate, the 3.3cm target through fitness and nutrition within seven years is hardly feasible because the influence of genetic factors to height can reach 80-90 percent.

In fact, the height of a nation increases following economic development. When the economy develops, income is stable and increases, people will have conditions to improve nutrition and the height will increase gradually. That's the trend in Vietnam in recent times.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
Re: $285mil project to improve Vietnamese’s average heigh
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:36:53 PM »
What is the purpose for the government to try and bring the average height up? Is it to bring health equality to all regions of VN, especially the poor region? Height is partially dependent upon nutrition, so if the government is up to date with it's equality on health care then the poor regions should benefit more.

But it saids that the average height for urban areas are taller. Could that mean that the government measures are not that effective for the poor regions. They didn't say how the government is helping to bring the height up. It could be that the urban areas are more economically developed therefore nutrition and health are more developed.

Offline nitro

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:05:18 PM »
It was so painful for me to see so many of our people are so short, especially the people up North.  The consequences of being short:  shortieness => disadvantages => pettiness => nitpicking => shortsightedness => disharmony.

Nutrition will take generations to raise average height.  How about giving growth hormones to all kids in primary schools?  I was given some shot (polio?) when I was a kid there, and I bear a scar on forearm.

Offline UniFy(心臓盗人)

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:37:15 PM »
What is the average height in Vietnam? I am 5'6 feet. That is consider not that tall in Norway since the average height here is 6'0 feet.

Offline nitro

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 03:57:39 PM »
5'6'' is the average or slightly below average for oversea born males, not born in Vn.   In Vietnam most guys are like those posted by Dat, hairdudes standing 5'4'' tall or shorter.   I say give them a couple of doses of growth hormones, especially those high schoolers who are 5'4'' or under.

Offline nitro

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »
GH is not cheap in the US. (Maybe it's cheaper in Vn)

In 2003, the FDA approved growth hormone (GH) to promote accelerated growth and adult height in the shortest 1.2% of children and adolescents who do not have any detectable medical problems. GH had previously been approved for treating youths with GH deficiency; in this case, medication was substituting for a hormone that these children’s bodies were not producing on their own. GH was then given to children with other medical conditions; for example, Prader-Willi in which metabolic benefits from treatment have been reported.
The 2003 decision, however, is somewhat puzzling. Regarding medications, the FDA’s purpose is to review the safety of medications; not judge why a person would want to take it in the first place. It did not appear to take research on psychological functioning and quality of life of individuals with short stature into account when approving this most recent indication for GH. In fact, to date, there is not a single scientific study that convincingly demonstrates a psychological benefit in either the short or long term from height gain due to GH treatment. In case you’re curious, on average, GH will make the short but otherwise healthy child taller in adulthood than they would otherwise be by approximately 1.6 to 2.4 inches after an average of 5 years treatment – that means some children will gain more than that; other children less.
Aside from the lack of evidence for a psychological benefit of GH, are there any other drawbacks of treatment? The FDA considered GH to be acceptably safe during the course of treatment. But keep in mind that the approved dosage of GH pushes concentrations in the body beyond what is normal. And the long-term risks of this practice remain uncertain. But, is any risk to healthy children permissible when there is no evidence of benefit? Or is anything better than being short? The treatment does not come cheap or easy. In fact, a 2006 study calculated the average cost per inch of gained height to be over $52,000.(4) With the average total gain of 1.9 inches, that’s nearly $100,000 per kid. Plus, it’s not a treatment regimen to take lightly; GH therapy involves an injection every day for many years.

http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/growthhorm.htm

Offline UniFy(心臓盗人)

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 04:41:37 PM »
I'm glad I'm not 5'4. My younger brothers are 6'0 feet tall. And my sister is 5'6 like me!!  -worried

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
Why not just make them drink milk? Doesn't milk have some natural growth hormones in it? That's why the overseas kids are taller. No need for growth hormones.

Or else just let them lie around the house and be lazy and sleep. Their legs will grow longer with no gravity acting on them.

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 12:04:44 AM »
Let's not poison our people with cow milk like how the west had done to theirs.

The presence of rBGH in the cow milk stimulates production of another hormone called Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1, or IGF-1.
IGF-1 is a naturally-occurring hormone found in the milk of both cows and humans. It affects cell growth and is responsible for the quick growth of infants in both species. This is why it is biologically present in mother's milk, since it is meant to be consumed by infants. While the IGF-1 hormone already exists in humans, it is usually bound to protein and thus has less of an effect than unbound IGF-1 in cow milk.

When cow's milk is consumed by human non-infants, it behaves as a cancer-accelerator. IGF-1 is not destroyed in the pasteurization process nor during human digestion and is therefore biologically active in humans, being associated with breast, prostate, and colon cancers.

IGF-1 promotes inappropriate cell division. As cells divide, at some point they are instructed (by their genes, in combination with hormone signals) to stop dividing or they are instructed to die so that the creation of new cells is matched by the death of cells and no net growth occurs; this is called "programmed cell death". If "programmed cell death" is prevented, then cells don't die at the right time, causing out-of-control growth of cells, which is another way of saying cancer. Cancer is uncontrolled cell division.

Offline Lavender

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 07:47:11 AM »
hey, but at least they look good.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 02:10:52 PM »
i am 4 foot 10 and i feel fine. sure, some time it hurts my pride shopping in the kids section for clothes and have to use the kindergarden archaic human bars to exercise but its not that bad.  i qualify for kids price at museums and underground tube in many places so im happy.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
Re: $285mil project to improve Vietnamese’s average height
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »
I remember when we were kids I was pulling my brother's legs trying to lengthen his legs, because he is short squirt. Now he is taller than me, about 6 ft.

Offline Lavender

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 09:18:19 AM »
I'm from a tall family although I myself avg height for a VN girl. For American I'm considered short.

It really awes me to see so many short VN even in the US. My SIL family is super short and her sister also marries someone super short. It's like a sea of trolls so short. But what people don't have in height they make up in confidence. That's quite remarkable. Children need to be taught confidence. Look at Napoleon, Danny Devito, Vo Nguyen Giap.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 09:29:54 AM »
Short people are easy to grab them by the neck, raise them up in the air like bar weights and throw them across the air. That's what I used to do to my brother.

Offline Lavender

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 08:17:06 AM »
Just feed them hormone fed cow milk!

Seriously.  I notice many Asian families, even the daughters are taller than the dad so it's not entirely genetics.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 10:15:43 AM »
I notice there are a lot of gigantic Vietnamese girls is the US. So the milk must have done something to them. One of my niece is like 5'7" and every time I see her I can't help but ask her 'why are you so big?'

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »
Short people live longer though.  So you will have time to witness all the tall people who made fun of you die out one by one. :) :) :)

I'm from a tall family although I myself avg height for a VN girl. For American I'm considered short.

It really awes me to see so many short VN even in the US. My SIL family is super short and her sister also marries someone super short. It's like a sea of trolls so short. But what people don't have in height they make up in confidence. That's quite remarkable. Children need to be taught confidence. Look at Napoleon, Danny Devito, Vo Nguyen Giap.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 01:43:11 PM »
They need to cut rice from diet and add more protein and beer.  Japan, Korea, Taiwan cut 50% rice from their diet and they increased their average height.

I used to pull my brother's legs because he's short squat.  He grew taller but I don't know if it's natural growth.  He's still short though.  I told him to buy one of those inversion chairs to hang upside down.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Who is the newest member on the forum?:

* Recent Posts

China's economic slump in part due to robotic work force by Rude Boy
[Today at 12:23:17 AM]

Why Filipinos want Liangzhu culture by Rude Boy
[Today at 12:03:20 AM]

White woman anti west anti USA by Gāokējì
[Yesterday at 07:33:25 PM]

Việt Nam Fatherland Front – a true representative of the people by convoy
[Yesterday at 04:19:58 PM]

Question for Chinese guy: do you think China should rule Taiwan? by
[Yesterday at 07:40:05 AM]

Google, Apple looking to move production from China to Vietnam by
[Yesterday at 07:37:48 AM]

We need to conquer China with pho man. by
[Yesterday at 07:36:30 AM]

Zheng He went to the Philippines like once by
[Yesterday at 07:33:30 AM]

Dumb video says similarities between Chinese and Filipino...as if! by Gāokējì
[Yesterday at 07:03:52 AM]

Hong Kong doctor´s instagram flooded with love, claims Cantonese is a language by Gāokējì
[Yesterday at 06:14:02 AM]

Good supervision activities win people’s confidence by convoy
[Yesterday at 04:05:08 AM]

Vietnamese Gang bruh! We #Gang Gang yeey by Gang shizt
[September 18, 2019, 10:35:37 PM]

Western companies complained Viet commies sleeping on the job by Rude Boy
[September 18, 2019, 09:58:32 PM]

Thousands of Korean wives sold for $130 in China by gaden
[September 18, 2019, 05:30:23 PM]

Johnny Dang of Houston TX made Forbes cover as Hip Hop's de facto bling jeweler by
[September 18, 2019, 03:14:47 PM]

Funniest Chinese Toy Knockoffs by
[September 18, 2019, 03:08:09 PM]

Sorry China, I was wrong by
[September 18, 2019, 03:06:19 PM]

China Laos Railway Near Completion: Chinese invasion has begun by Rude Boy
[September 18, 2019, 08:01:12 AM]

The world would be better off if China just buys it in the future by Gāokējì
[September 18, 2019, 07:12:09 AM]

Nguyen Hue Pedestrian Street by Rude Boy
[September 18, 2019, 06:55:53 AM]

* China Affinity