collapse

Author Topic: Christmas presents shouldn't cost the earth  (Read 124 times)

Christmas elf

Christmas presents shouldn't cost the earth
« on: December 02, 2019, 03:46:08 AM »
Christmas presents shouldn't cost the earth. From buying second-hand to choosing sustainable products (and avoiding companies that aren't eco-friendly), there are plenty of ways to show your loved ones, and the planet, a little love.

Up to 8 million Christmas trees are bought every December in the UK alone. That's a lot of intensive production, and potentially a lot of waste.

It's true that fake plastic trees last for years – and nowadays they can look very realistic. But they take enormous amounts of energy to manufacture. And it's yet more synthetic waste to be disposed of in the future.

So let's look at the options in more detail.

7. Tree rental

More and more places, such as garden centres and plant nurseries, now offer a Christmas-tree hire service over the festive season. They'll often even deliver and collect the tree to save you the hassle. And the tree can carry on growing after it's returned. Sounds like a good solution.

Just make sure it's grown sustainably by looking for either the FSC or Soil Association logo.

8. Use (or grow) your own

Using or buying a tree with roots lets you grow it outside and use it again next year, reducing its environmental impact and costing you less. Holly, apple, pear, bay and Japanese maple trees can all be bought in containers (though for best growth, ground planting is preferable).

They will need some looking after, and you'll need a big pot, so read these expert tips on caring for Christmas trees in pots 

Alternatively, get a large perennial indoor plant – like a yucca, palm or ficus – and just decorate it at Christmas time.

9. Artificial trees

If you've got a fake tree already, keep using it – make it last as long as possible. But look into more environmentally-sound options when it eventually comes to replacing it.

If you do want to get a fake one, for whatever reason, try Freegle 
, Freecycle , eBay  or Gumtree  for a pre-loved one.

10. Real trees

If you want to be reassured that your tree has been grown sustainably, not in a way that's environmentally damaging, look for the FSC-certification 

logo. Just like the rented tree, if you want one that's certified as organic and pesticide-free, get one that's approved by the Soil Association.

11. Recycling real trees

Far more Christmas trees get recycled now than even 10 years ago. Most councils have allocated locations where people can leave their tree after Christmas (take the decorations off first). Or you can usually take them to your nearest municipal tip/recycling centre.

The trees are shredded, then used as mulch on plants in parks, or on woodland paths (for a lovely instant pine-forest smell). Or else rotted down and recycled as compost.

https://friendsoftheearth.uk/lifestyle/21-ecofriendly-christmas-tips

Christmas elf

Re: Christmas presents shouldn't cost the earth
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 03:49:15 AM »
Why not try cutting down meat this Christmas – at least for some days of the festive break? According to the Soil Association, "food is the single most important, everyday way for people to reduce their own environmental impact". Here are some alternative festive food tips to help you shop and cook for an Earth-friendly feast.

12. Vegetarian and vegan recipes

Nowadays veggie doesn’t have to mean predictable omelettes, cheese salads or risottos. Or even necessarily the standard nut roast for vegans at Christmas.

Have a look at some of the recipes our staff and supporters have sent in, or head over to the excellent Vegan Food & Living 
for hundreds of fantastic recipes. And there are some extra tasty festive treats on the Vegan Society website 

– including vegan brandy butter, and even vegan eggnog.

13. Organic meat

If you can't get past the meat craving, try choosing organic and free-range, and support small-scale farming wherever possible.

It might be a bit more expensive, but it's better to buy less than more of the cheap and cheerless intensively-farmed meat. Companies like our partner, Abel & Cole, run dependable organic delivery schemes, and they offer seasonal veg, meat and dairy packages.

14. Cut food waste

When you're food shopping, try and choose things that are light on packaging, or buy loose items.

And if you end up over-catering, don't just bin what's left. Transforming leftovers can be a great way to create new meals, save money and cut waste. Try the BBC Good Food leftovers recipes 

for ideas – or challenge your family to suggest recipes with whatever you’ve got in the fridge.

If you have too many leftovers, see what you can freeze. Or why not donate some to an elderly neighbour, local food bank or soup kitchen? Compost any other waste.

Christmas elf

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 03:57:39 AM »
We have so much trees on the cabin that we have to cut them away. Otherwise trees takes over the cabin. I already have a christmas tree for pre-christmas party. I could do more changes to my decoration-obsessions. I try to choose long lasting products and I use the pieces all over again. I have a box for the pieces and I recreate of them after dismantling former decorations. This year I try to focus on painting decorations so it takes more time but less materials. Also I collect decorations from the nature of course  :)

Christmas elf

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 04:03:15 AM »
For example steel wires used on wreaths etc. can be reused for decades. One box does not take too much space to save those for the next year. I love my treasure boxes. You never know what you find before you create it
 -starplucker

christmas elf

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 04:13:26 AM »
Buy certified 'green' or plastic-free gifts

Good intentions can fall short if we don't know what we're adding to our shopping baskets.

Third party certification is the best way to determine if a product is environmentally-friendly, according to Anthesis. Look out for respected eco logos, such as Fairtrade, Rainforest Alliance, Scientific Certification Systems (SCS), Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Energy Star and Palm Oil Free.

Have a look at The Plastic Free Shop, The Ethical Superstore or Wearth London for inspiration.

Think about your outfit

Resist the temptation to splash out on sequins (they’re made from PVC and there are no biodegradable substitutes) and opt for sustainable materials instead. For statement, eco-friendly designs, try We Are Thought, The Reformation or Maya Miko. You will probably want to wear them after Christmas, too!

Invest in a reusable advent calendar

Invest in a reusable advent calendar and fill it with a variety of gifts such as handmade truffles. You can even treat your dog to a calendar too.

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/homes-interiors/interiors/g25329535/eco-friendly-christmas-ideas-green-christmas/

christmas elf

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 04:19:44 AM »
Reusable calendars are absolutely great! You can also put concert tickets or something there, so it is not just for material things but also for immaterial things. We have for example theatre tickets, art museum tickets, kids skating show and magician show tickets etc. in our calendar.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • The Grand Lord of Mopeds
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 02:20:16 PM »
Damnn it!!  Why does everyone steal my ideas?!  I've had it in mind of a rent a live Christmas tree for years.

What next...are they going to steal my idea of solar lighted log animals?

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 02:46:58 PM »
It has been more than 3 months since I've eaten animal products, including eggs.  I won't be feasting on meats comes Christmas, either, so I'm not robbing lives on Earth.

My body feels fantastic, my mind feels even better.

Thank you  :)
GOSH

OlivenCheese

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 02:54:09 AM »
^^ And we'll live longer and healthier lives as well.  :)

Cheeses

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 09:38:53 AM »
^^ And happier.
Soon, people will be asking, "where do you get your plants from?"  :)

ChiSis

Vegan nutrition

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 10:03:03 AM »
It has been more than 3 months since I've eaten animal products, including eggs.  I won't be feasting on meats comes Christmas, either, so I'm not robbing lives on Earth.

My body feels fantastic, my mind feels even better.

Thank you  :)
GOSH
That is great! How about your kid? Do you make different foods or are you all vegans now? Not that you could not count nutrition exactly but some vegan parents has been charged by feeding their kids by vegan food.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Who is the newest member on the forum?:

* Recent Posts

I am not a plant dude! by CoconutXO
[Today at 12:31:32 AM]

Vung Tau has biggest Jesus in Southeast Asia by Olive Juice
[Yesterday at 08:45:25 PM]

SEA Games 2019 by Past Seagames
[Yesterday at 08:41:48 PM]

Chinese boxer challenges heavyweights by Olive Juice
[Yesterday at 08:17:42 PM]

Return of the rainbow by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 07:00:05 PM]

Why are aircraft carriers getting better by Gāokējì
[Yesterday at 06:23:22 PM]

If Philippines was Monticello by Gāokējì
[Yesterday at 06:18:10 PM]

Vietnamese go back to Chinese level performance by
[Yesterday at 06:01:48 PM]

Was Thomas Jefferson partly black himself? by Gāokējì
[Yesterday at 05:59:48 PM]

Cool Patios by gaden
[Yesterday at 05:02:07 PM]

Body positive people by gaden
[Yesterday at 04:48:28 PM]

Who says philosophy doesn’t pay? by gaden
[Yesterday at 04:37:24 PM]

Instrumental music by gaden
[Yesterday at 04:20:17 PM]

Women tell: Kindness for Europeans, religion and politics for Americans by Unicorn
[Yesterday at 03:02:08 AM]

Acceptance: The Key to a Happy Marriage by Chill bruhh
[December 04, 2019, 08:51:56 PM]

Mom gave birth to multiple babies without an amniotic sac by gaden
[December 04, 2019, 05:35:49 PM]

GAAAAAADEEEEEEN <3 <3 <3 by gaden
[December 04, 2019, 05:32:42 PM]

What Austronesians look like by All fixed
[December 04, 2019, 12:04:11 PM]

Standardisation of agriculture production benefits everyone: official by convoy
[December 04, 2019, 10:04:25 AM]

Sikhapore no more no. 1 in pizza by Gāokējì