collapse

Author Topic: Andrew Lloyd Webber, Michael Crawford - The Music Of The Night  (Read 93 times)

Offline CoconutXO

Very famous opera.

Crawford understood the role of the Phantom correctly. In his voice there is a lonely coldness and a fatherly warmth. He moves oddly, just like a seriously deformed man would because of his deformity and because he has never been around ordinary people. His acting holds within the rage the Phantom feels towards humanity for the discrimination he has faced, and he also shows the passion for his music and Christine in his emotions. I think all modern Phantoms fail to understand the character. They move sexually, sing in a very trained and classic way and act like some mean bad boys. The Phantom is supposed to be middle-aged, deformed and lonely as hell, he has become a ghostly man not truly understanding how one should love another. He should be an insecure artist driven mad by discrimination and the lack of company and love (which is caused by his deformity). There is no sex appeal in this man, he is a PHANTOM, a ghost! In the book he is described as a skeletal corpse and the only kind of connection Christine shares with him is that of a tutor and a pupil (and there is of course the link to her father). He is supposed to be creepy, ugly, lonely and mad. I can understand why some people (young women) would be more drawn towards a hot young guy in a mask (because that's mysterious and sexy), but the true Phantom is not like that. The true Phantom's story is all about discrimination, how people are sick to only care about how others look like and how some of us have to suffer because of that. It's not a love triangle where a girl has to choose between two sexy guys, it is a story of how a man has to live alone because of others and learn how to love correctly (by giving freedom to the only love of his life instead of keeping her as his slave forever). Crawford understood that and the character. That is why he is easily my favorite Phantom.

Phantomina

Re: Andrew Lloyd Webber, Michael Crawford - The Music Of The Night
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 04:35:45 AM »
That is what we Phantoms do, we set our preys free. So they could live a happy life and we could rotten in our caves  -heart I always loved this and I always will, I saw it in opera house, it was well made! -bow

Offline Guess

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 05:39:41 PM »
This is not an opera. It’s a musical play. ALW creates what you call popular classical music. I can’t stand most operas.

The woman looks like a young Sarah brightman. But I was surprised she didn’t sing. Maybe just in this scene.

This is one of my favorite ALW songs:

Offline CoconutXO

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 01:09:59 AM »
It's actually an opera Lavender as they sing throughout the whole show.

Opera is an extended dramatic composition, in which all parts are sung to instrumental accompaniment, that usually includes arias, choruses, and recitatives, and that sometimes includes ballet. In a musical, the singing is interspersed with passages of dialogue, while in an opera, the singing never stops (very broadly speaking). Meanwhile although some operas include spoken passages or speech-like sections called 'recitatives', they are mostly sung without any spoken dialogue.

Dialogue was carried out in music.

It's different with Cats the Musical where people talk.

Offline Guess

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 10:01:14 AM »
Musical: uses modern instrument ie synthesizer. No question Phantom uses synthesizer. Opera use all classical instruments.

In an opera the music comes first, that’s why people can appreciate it even without understanding the language. More recently they use caption in order to appeal to more people. Everything is sung even conversation. However there are some opera that crosses over and include some dialog. You see much more emotion and complex musical composition. I think that’s why opera is not pleasant to the mass, like me, because simple musical composition is easier to appreciate in the layman’s ear.

With an opera, they also use classical singing technique such as vibrato which is heard as ear piercing high note. In a musical, you may hear it as well as many singers even in modern music strive for that goal but it’s not an encompassing style of the piece.

In a musical dialog comes first even when the music is the running feature. Take this auction scene in the beginning of the Phantom:

for some less discordant opera. TBH, that’s what most opera sounds like to me, the number 1 is Madam Butterfly, #2 is Carmen.

Name: Email:
Verification:
How deep is your love? (very deep, shallow, none, FU):

* Recent Posts

Saigon´s greatest bespoke shoemaker by
[Today at 03:04:24 PM]

Why don´t these Vietnamese just do Vpop instead? by
[Today at 01:41:48 PM]

Funny Pictures and Videos by Melenaeno
[Today at 12:35:21 PM]

Random Chit Chat Thread by Melenavht
[Today at 12:02:44 PM]

Self autonomy a trend for Vietnamese universities by convoy
[Today at 04:03:54 AM]

Cool images by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:42:17 AM]

The Deepest Dive in Antarctica by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:37:38 AM]

Bird Doesn't Care About Being Eaten by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:24:55 AM]

Spider Monkey Rescued by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:20:05 AM]

Puerto Ayora fish market by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:15:13 AM]

Jamaican broom by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:10:18 AM]

Overdramatic dog faints while a lady tries to cut its nail by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:04:30 AM]

random thoughts thread by Melenavht
[Today at 02:03:29 AM]

No more 3rd world status, Vietnam is on par with Thailand: Saigon Metro by CoconutXO
[Today at 01:56:15 AM]

Hot girl training to be VC by CoconutXO
[Today at 01:27:06 AM]

Rice field arts by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 12:56:27 AM]

Ultimate Guide to FISH SAUCE - Hot Thai Kitchen by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 12:27:44 AM]

Classical Conditioning - Ivan Pavlov by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 12:15:45 AM]

Bánh tráng trộn by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 12:06:13 AM]

Apple Kohakuto|HidaMari Cooking by CoconutXO