collapse

Author Topic: 30 year old Dai Gia paid half a million for FUGLY AZZ Chinese furniture  (Read 460 times)

This owner is clearly rich and young but his taste is horrendous.  I find a lot of French baroque stuff hideous but the Chinese don´t even have the skills to copy it correctly.  Fast forward to 9 minute mark.

Offline Guess

yes, baroque versailles style is horrendous outside of the Versailles (which is horrendous but because of grand scale, awsomely horrendous). To go keep in spirit of baroque, they need to paint the wall. What I find beautiful in baroque (or any old fashion style Victorian and before) is the unabashed use of layers of colors, walls, cloth, dlovery, and furniture are upholstered to match or complement each other. In the modern noveau rich no taste homes, they don't dare paint the wall. I mean if money is no object, then they should at least paint the wall, although the most impact is done with wallpaper.

Another thing wrong with this house besides that eyesore sofa set, bland beige wall, is the big blobs of bland colors of the furniture. There's no visual interest: ie, mix of colors, pattern, texture.

I love wallpaper, although not being rich, I don't want to spend 1) thousands on wallpaper and 2) hard to sell and again will cost money to take down when I do sell the damn house. I love chinoiserrie wall kind of like this one:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/1e/50/7b1e505816d5582191eb08ebd85084c7.jpg

but I settled for this one, very nice as it turned out on two walls in my living room:

https://www.wallpaper-uk.com/van-gogh-almond-blossom.html

Painter

I love wallpaper, although not being rich, I don't want to spend 1) thousands on wallpaper and 2) hard to sell and again will cost money to take down when I do sell the damn house. I love chinoiserrie wall kind of like this one:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/1e/50/7b1e505816d5582191eb08ebd85084c7.jpg

but I settled for this one, very nice as it turned out on two walls in my living room:

https://www.wallpaper-uk.com/van-gogh-almond-blossom.html

I bought paintable wallpaper and painted myself  -heart

Offline Guess

Painter

can you paint this?

https://degournay.com/colour/yellow

Yes I could paint that. I have done both; template works and painted straight to the wallpaper. I also made my own patterns. It would be rather a time question , at home it is easy to set a wallpaper and continue painting always when that is possible. I have also sold my work and paint for example 2-3 days at clients house. I think my longest work took 2 weeks but that was for a relative. It is a bit hard to set like that and of course it does not work with total strangers. I practically lived there painting so it is expensive too.

If you have regular drawing skills and you lend some books and models for those, you can easily made them by yourself if you are not a perfectionist. There is a lot of tricks for painting when you can get really genuine looking stuff but if you are a perfectionist then you have to do every little detail by counting light directions with a clock and make everyone else and yourself nut with some details of a petal. Also if you get bored easily, choose a picture which does not repeat itself, I tend to get bored already with 2 similar picture, like 2 similar flowers, they have to be different and picture has to grow and live and change or it goes boring. Also I like to create when I paint so I might not know what is coming untill I see it. That is actually my problem with knittings and all, I cannot stand to follow patterns but I get this and that idea when I am doing it and then I try this and that and then I never know what I get  :D I might start to knit a scarf and make a shirt or anything  :p That is why I avoid to promise to do exactly something but I uasually say lets see what comes but I can do something -shrug

Just by a small piece of wallpaper and try, if you are happy buy the whole roll   :)

Offline Guess

what kind of paint do you use? can you give a link to a wallpaper I can paint on?

Painter

what kind of paint do you use? can you give a link to a wallpaper I can paint on?

I recommend to go those website stores which are able to deliver to your area and ask them some help to choose. I am out of terms, it cannot be revetmented (is that a word?)by a plastic or that type of stuff. You can also seek something with fibers. It is much what you like same with colors, you just have to try what fits together. You can paint just by regular colors meant to papers as long as that is paper and not plastic. Fabrical fiber type can hold also fabric colors but it also depends if you buy fabric colors or mix them by yourself. By mixing you can get as thin or fat color as you need.
Stores usually send small free samples just by postage costs so ask them to send a few different type samples and try. You just have to find the right pair in paper and colors. Also if you know some factory you can ask if they sell "plain" wallpaper for you. 

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
I think of baroque as a style that's very dynamic and theatrical.  I don't necessarily love it, but I don't detest it either.  My decorative taste falls with colors and symbolism more so than with a particular style.

There is an area in my house that I thought baroque decorations would fit well in, but I would never furnished the whole house with that type of style.

Am I doing baroque justice?  Any input is welcomed because I'm still putting the place together.

Offline Guess

it's cute.

you need to paint the wall a different color. The first one, maybe a brownish yellow to have the same tone as the credenza. The hallway need to match too. the current light olive color doesn't go.

the scond room, the curtain doesn't go with the low patio door. Can you lower it so the swag part hang just over the doorway? Paint even put on wallpaper, an earthy brownred is an option.  Maybe this tone, with brownish red-gold to match the curtain and the picture frame.

Offline Guess

you need two glass cabinets filled with XO cognac in the corners and your interior will exude the Dai Gia aesthetics practiced in Vietnam to a fault.  The main difference is that Vietnam´s Dai Gia have the money and cheap labor to do ornate Spanish ceramic tilings over the entire house and their walls employed a lot of plaster detailings with ironworked windows.  Your house has a very modern layout with nice wood floorings and neutral tones so I am shocked that you decorate in this hideous manner with the lustrous polyester window treatments bro. 

Usually people who like this style at least try to get high ceilings to optimize the effect.  Baroque as a style was about trying to impress the sordid hoi polloi with curvaceous grandeur and spacious opulence.  This is the reason the Catholic church encouraged this style because it pairs religiosity with palatial wealth.  The bright colors make big public spaces feel warm and cozy especially in cold countries often submerged in overcast weather.  In a typical Norcal home, this style makes the space feel small and hectic.  And with that casablanca fan in the ceiling you transplant us back to tropical climes.  Maybe you want that specific space to be versatile but if I were to sit there I would display asymptomatic displeasure and abscond myself shortly unless enticed by a decent Hensessy XO.

I think of baroque as a style that's very dynamic and theatrical.  I don't necessarily love it, but I don't detest it either.  My decorative taste falls with colors and symbolism more so than with a particular style.

There is an area in my house that I thought baroque decorations would fit well in, but I would never furnished the whole house with that type of style.

Am I doing baroque justice?  Any input is welcomed because I'm still putting the place together.

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
I love that red & gold wallpaper.  I could also use that for the family room, since I want that room to convey warmness.  You're right, the curtain is off and I never liked it.  I'm changing it the moment business is back to normalry.

it's cute.

you need to paint the wall a different color. The first one, maybe a brownish yellow to have the same tone as the credenza. The hallway need to match too. the current light olive color doesn't go.

the scond room, the curtain doesn't go with the low patio door. Can you lower it so the swag part hang just over the doorway? Paint even put on wallpaper, an earthy brownred is an option.  Maybe this tone, with brownish red-gold to match the curtain and the picture frame.

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
I already thought about glass liquor display cabinets but would have to wait until this cabronasvirus situation is over with to get them.  Like I said, that's the only area in my house that's decorated with baroque style.  The curtains came with the house and I wanted to change it completely when I first set my eyes on them. The fan could go too and what would you do with the ceiling?

you need two glass cabinets filled with XO cognac in the corners and your interior will exude the Dai Gia aesthetics practiced in Vietnam to a fault.  The main difference is that Vietnam´s Dai Gia have the money and cheap labor to do ornate Spanish ceramic tilings over the entire house and their walls employed a lot of plaster detailings with ironworked windows.  Your house has a very modern layout with nice wood floorings and neutral tones so I am shocked that you decorate in this hideous manner with the lustrous polyester window treatments bro. 

Usually people who like this style at least try to get high ceilings to optimize the effect.  Baroque as a style was about trying to impress the wretched hoi polloi by grandeur and spacious opulence.  This is the reason the Catholic church encouraged this style in public space because it pairs religiosity with palatial wealth.  The bright colors make big public spaces feel warm and cozy in cold countries.  In a typical Norcal home, this style makes the space feel small and hectic.  And with that casablanca fan in the ceiling you transplant us back to tropical climes.  Maybe you want that specific space to be versatile but if I were to sit there I would display asymptomatic displeasure and abscond myself shortly unless enticed by a decent Hensessy XO.

Vietnamese culture prefers the expressiveness of bright colors.  I see it in many of our historical flags from the Trung sisters to the Tay Son rebels.  I don´t think the muted Scandinavianism is something that naturally attracts Vietnamese people but is more of an acquired taste.  What I suggest you do is to put emphasis on lighting, color and texture.  You can employ the baroque vocabulary but do it more authentically according to Vietnamese tradition.  While I lament the French occupation in political terms, I think French incorporation of Japanese aesthetics worked very well in Vietnamese interiors. 

This is the former VNCH´s presidential palace in Saigon decorated in the 1950s.  The vases reference Dong Song bronze drums, the large lacquered painting in the background uses Chinese artistic influence on a completely different medium: oil painting on wood.  The window treatments are simple to match the clean lines of the International architectural style of that period.

is this your living room?  Where in the house is this space? It looks like the large sliding glass doors open out to outdoor space like a patio? Do the glass doors face east or west?

I already thought about glass liquor display cabinets but would have to wait until this cabronasvirus situation is over with to get them.  Like I said, that's the only area in my house that's decorated with baroque style.  The curtains came with the house and I wanted to change it completely when I first set my eyes on them. The fan could go too and what would you do with the ceiling?

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
No, not the living room.  It's a hallway upstairs.  The sliding glass doors lead to the upper patio.  There is another, bigger patio directly underneath it. The doors face east.

is this your living room?  Where in the house is this space? It looks like the large sliding glass doors open out to outdoor space like a patio? Do the glass doors face east or west?

I would convert that space to a conference room or a mini library since it gets lots of early morning sunlight.  It can double as office space when things get too loud elsewhere.  You can get window plastic film to minimize sun glares.  The Germans make the best quality ones and available at many boutique retailers.  They do not only block and filter sunlight but give normal transparent glass a design look.  Mine look like Lalique frosted glass.  The use of draapes for functional sun block is really outdated unless you actually like the look.  They apply like adhesive stickers and last a long time, like 3-5 years before needing replacements.  The only downside is you can´t see out but people can´t see you either.  One way glass is available but we are talking about huge $$$ instead of a few hundred dollars.  Then there are automatic blinds electronically controlled to close upon exposure to sunlight.

from the outside they look cool but it is more believable viewed inside the home out.

No, not the living room.  It's a hallway upstairs.  The sliding glass doors lead to the upper patio.  There is another, bigger patio directly underneath it. The doors face east.

Offline Guess

Vietnamese culture prefers the expressiveness of bright colors.  I see it in many of our historical flags from the Trung sisters to the Tay Son rebels.  I don´t think the muted Scandinavianism is something that naturally attracts Vietnamese people but is more of an acquired taste.  What I suggest you do is to put emphasis on lighting, color and texture.  You can employ the baroque vocabulary but do it more authentically according to Vietnamese tradition.  While I lament the French occupation in political terms, I think French incorporation of Japanese aesthetics worked very well in Vietnamese interiors. 

This is the former VNCH´s presidential palace in Saigon decorated in the 1950s.  The vases reference Dong Song bronze drums, the large lacquered painting in the background uses Chinese artistic influence on a completely different medium: oil painting on wood.  The window treatments are simple to match the clean lines of the International architectural style of that period.

The living room is tasteful. The conference room is just functional.

My kitchen is designed like a conference room and mini library with projectors and heated tile flooring which makes a big difference in the winter.  I have wood floorings throughout in other areas.  The kitchen aka conference room is easy to wash and clean up and it is where I spend most of my time working at home during the pandemic.  The area sits adjacent to the living room which is an extension of the space but with more comfortable lounge chairs and book cases.  I thinking joining the kitchen and formal dining is the way of the future if you have enough space for that. I still prefer the living room to be a separate space even though it is common to combine the living room and kitchen.  I still cook smelly bun bo hue and bun rieu at home so really don´t want to expose my living room to that smell.  Then any indoor "an vi" aka Vietnamese BBQ will stink up the whole place for half a day even though I have good ventilation system in place and nice artisanal home scents.

The living room is tasteful. The conference room is just functional.

Offline Guess

My kitchen is designed like a conference room and mini library with heated tiled flooring which makes a big difference in the winter.  I have wood floorings throughout in other areas.  The kitchen aka conference room is easy to wash and clean up and it is where I spend most of my time working at home during the pandemic.  The area sits adjacent to the living room which is an extension of the space but with more comfortable lounge chairs and book cases.  I thinking joining the kitchen and formal dining is the way of the future if you have enough space for that.  I still prefer the living room to be a separate space. 

in my house the kitchen and family room is one long rectangle. Then the formal dining room is on next to the kitchen separated by a wall and has a door between them. That’s a common 80s tract house floor plan.  I could turn the family room into a mini library but I have too much furniture right now. I have a glass display cabinet for ceramic. Like this one but instead of ladies, I have brown cranes on the doors. A large beige sectional and large 60” long coffee table, a 40” tall Buddha statue, a console table.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oriental-Furniture-Oriental-Furniture-Black-Lacquer-Breakfront-Cabinet-LCQ-HA1923/301296897

https://www.amazon.com/Cyan-Design-Lacroix-Console-Antiquarian/dp/B00JQKEMHW

Name: Email:
Verification:
How deep is your love? (very deep, shallow, none, FU):

* Recent Posts

Saigon´s greatest bespoke shoemaker by
[Today at 03:04:24 PM]

Why don´t these Vietnamese just do Vpop instead? by
[Today at 01:41:48 PM]

Funny Pictures and Videos by Melenaeno
[Today at 12:35:21 PM]

Random Chit Chat Thread by Melenavht
[Today at 12:02:44 PM]

Self autonomy a trend for Vietnamese universities by convoy
[Today at 04:03:54 AM]

Cool images by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:42:17 AM]

The Deepest Dive in Antarctica by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:37:38 AM]

Bird Doesn't Care About Being Eaten by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:24:55 AM]

Spider Monkey Rescued by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:20:05 AM]

Puerto Ayora fish market by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:15:13 AM]

Jamaican broom by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:10:18 AM]

Overdramatic dog faints while a lady tries to cut its nail by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:04:30 AM]

random thoughts thread by Melenavht
[Today at 02:03:29 AM]

No more 3rd world status, Vietnam is on par with Thailand: Saigon Metro by CoconutXO
[Today at 01:56:15 AM]

Hot girl training to be VC by CoconutXO
[Today at 01:27:06 AM]

Rice field arts by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 12:56:27 AM]

Ultimate Guide to FISH SAUCE - Hot Thai Kitchen by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 12:27:44 AM]

Classical Conditioning - Ivan Pavlov by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 12:15:45 AM]

Bánh tráng trộn by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 12:06:13 AM]

Apple Kohakuto|HidaMari Cooking by CoconutXO