collapse

Author Topic: what do you wear at work  (Read 896 times)

Offline Guess

what do you wear at work
« on: April 06, 2020, 03:22:18 PM »
I have like 10 coats of various thickness, and a number of jackets, cute tops with bows, etc.. goal is to layer, etc...

However, after buying all that, my uniform each day at work when it's cold is either a tank top or a turtleneck underneath and a sweater over it with a thick pair of pants and comfortable short boots. Forget about high boots, wool culottes, long skirts, etc...

Why bother. waste of money.

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
Re: what do you wear at work
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 04:01:38 PM »
How do you pull off wearing a turtleneck without looking like you're from the 80's?

I usually wear coats and slacks to work.  Sometimes, I change things up a bit and sport a v-neck sweater over dressing shirts or polo shirts, over jeans or slacks.

Offline Guess

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 04:09:29 PM »
the 80's is back.

I wear a tunic vest on top (70's look) or loose fitting crewneck kinda like this:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/523895369154260196/

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 06:05:40 PM »
Yeah a lot of my heavy wool coats and jackets are rarely touched.  Even when it gets below zero you really only need them to get to the office.  Once there, you need only the same layers as if you were at home.  I think we are very lucky to live in an age where most places indoor have the same regulated temperature.  I really don´t know what to do with the plethora of coats in my closets at the moment.  Some pieces were bespoke and with high quality worsteds and tweeds and fit me perfectly.  However, as soon as I walk indoor, there is no way to be comfortable with them on, just too warm and sweat inducing. At home I wear mainly pajamas with silk and cotton dressing gowns.  I have a collection of them. My Pajamas at the moment are Brooks Brothers with a few linen ones made for me by a tailor in Vietnam.  I get BB pajamas on sale for like $70 with shirts and trousers tailored with fluted pipings throughout.  They are made in China but very high quality.  I like Brooks Brothers cotton robes and New & Lingwood silk dressing gowns.  I have a lot of Pendleton wool dressing gowns too but they are too warm.  I do own several vintage Sulka silk dressing gowns as well and they are the best ever made period.  When it gets too cold, I run a silk scarf over the neck in the Parisian knot.   I love my ostrich slippers, very comfortable to walk around the house.  I have been thinking of getting a pair of Vietnamse crocodile moccasin for house slippers but will have to wait for now.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 06:15:49 PM »
The Vietnamese call them "giầy mọi cá sấu".  The crocodile species farmed in Vietnam is mainly crocodylus siamensis, a small species with supple belly leather.  I will order a pair in oxblood with nobby rubber like the Tod´s next time I see my crocodile guy in person.

Vietnamese craftsmanship is getting better.

Offline Guess

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 06:29:32 PM »
Silk is nice but even in warm weather, I wear cotton at home. I only wear silk outside. As soon as I get home I change into cotton pj or sweats. I wear Japanese slippers with terry cloth on the sole so I can clean the floor when I walk. They cost $4 a pair and last a few months. I also save old socks that have holes in them. I wash them and when the floor in my bedroom  is dirty, I put them on and wipe the floor with them, then I throw them out. I have maybe 4 pairs of slippers some with memory foam. I also get a bunch of cheap ones for family to wear when they visit. When the weather is warm, I go barefoot.

I’m not good with taking care of things so I don’t get nice things like silk or corcodile leather.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 06:50:48 PM »
you are a pragmatist.  I like things to look beautiful as much as functional.  I do waste a lot of time thinking of minute objects and where I can procure a better version.  Terry cloth itself has like 20 different designs and thereby different look and water absorbant properties.  I like the tiled looks for towels but the nailhead look for bathrobe.  Also, most people confuse bathrobe with other types of house robes.  The robes I wear at home are properly called by the British name for them, "silk dressing gowns".  I always have a cotton layer that contacts the skin but silk is the best overlayer for warmth and mobility.  There are also many different types of silk, each with different warmth property.

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 07:18:45 PM »
I just heard of them about a week ago.  Price wise, they're not that much more from other runners so I'm willing to give a try.  Will give them my opinions when I got a hold them.

BTW, what style would this fall under?  To me, it screams comfort and freedom.

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 07:26:32 PM »
merino wool has many great properties but they are not a durable material.  I use a lot of merinowool underwears when I train outdoor during the winter, mainly cycling and jogging.  Those shoes with merino toe, vamp and upper will not be that durable.  Also, when merino wool is wet, there is a tendency to lose its original shape. 

Offline Guess

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 07:29:52 PM »
I don’t know. I always like to wear oversized loose fitting clothes. That’s why my attempt to be fashionable in cold weather didn’t pan out. Putting on an outfit with top, jacket, skirt, high boots, etc...is just to much work and it’s not comfortable when you’re at work. In the summer, I do wear dresses and comfy Bernie mev shoes.

The shoes you mention is very reasonable in price. I have a pair of Hoka sneakers on sale and they are the best $84 I ever spent on shoes.

https://runrepeat.com/hoka-one-one-valor

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 07:35:21 PM »
Then it's just perfect also as work shoes.  Comforting and durable enough.  Game changer is that I wouldn't have to switch shoes when I'm off work and off to happy hours.

merino wool has many great properties but they are not a durable material.  I use a lot of merinowool underwears when I train outdoor during the winter, mainly cycling and jogging.  Those shoes with merino toe, vamp and upper will not be that durable.  Also, when merino wool is wet, there is a tendency to lose its original shape. 

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 07:35:39 PM »
my favorite wool for chilling at home is pure Peruvian baby alpaca or blended with silk.  Jhane Barnes (one of my favorite textile designers of all time) did a collection for Neiman Marcus a few years back using this material and some blended with silk.  She worked with Peruvian weavers to produce original designs.  I bought 6 sweaters from this collection and still have them.

I just heard of them about a week ago.  Price wise, they're not that much more from other runners so I'm willing to give a try.  Will give them my opinions when I got a hold them.

BTW, what style would this fall under?  To me, it screams comfort and freedom.

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 07:44:50 PM »
Got it.  Folks, this is one of many reasons why, as men, we have to learn to appreciate when women put in the time to make themselves look even better.  It's so time consuming with makeups and fashions, so don't forget to compliment whenever a woman attempt to make her and you look better.

And if she asks why you're complimenting her, just say: "because you're my girl." 😊

[/quote]
I don’t know. I always like to wear oversized loose fitting clothes. That’s why my attempt to be fashionable in cold weather didn’t pan out. Putting on an outfit with top, jacket, skirt, high boots, etc...is just to much work and it’s not comfortable when you’re at work. In the summer, I do wear dresses and comfy Bernie mev shoes.

The shoes you mention is very reasonable in price. I have a pair of Hoka sneakers on sale and they are the best $84 I ever spent on shoes.

Offline Olive Juice

• Mini Drug Lord
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 07:48:32 PM »

Would you recommend them for hiking?  Oh God, this house arrest lol must end soon.

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »
There was a resurgence in classic menswear in rich countries circa 2010-2020 but after this virus I am quite confident we will go back to the loose clothes of the 2000s.  Athleisure is here to stay and we will see it in formerly formal settings as well.  In fact formalwear is only growing in popularity in emergent third world countries where looking corporate still commands respect.  But they still do it wrong and look comical. 

There is no proportion or incentive to understand why something looks good.  This goes to the Japanese and Koreans too who you would think are more sophisticated consumers with exposure to many luxury brands.  No, they follow trends, and most of still cling to one European country for inspiration rather than setting their own trends.  To date, I have not seen a single Japanese fashion subculture that is not a direct copy of some Western style.  Instead of refining that style, they tend to fuglyfy it.  I think it will take another 100 years for Asians in Asia to instill original cultural value in a physical product.

Offline Guess

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 07:51:34 PM »
I went to a wedding and had to buy some makeup. Believe it or not, my last bottle of foundation was like 6 years old.

Made  a big difference. I wear it once in a while now when i go to work.

Offline Guess

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 07:54:52 PM »
There was a resurgence in classic menswear in rich countries circa 2010-2020 but after this virus I am quite confident we will go back to the loose clothes of the 2000s.  Athleisure is here to stay and we will see it in formerly formal settings as well.  In fact formalwear is only growing in popularity in emergent third world countries where looking corporate still commands respect.  But they still do it wrong and look comical. 

There is no proportion or incentive to understand why something looks good.  This goes to the Japanese and Koreans too who you would think are more sophisticated consumers with exposure to many luxury brands.  No, they follow trends, and most of still cling to one European country for inspiration rather than setting their own trends.  To date, I have not seen a single Japanese fashion subculture that is not a direct copy of some Western style.  Instead of refining that style, they tend to fuglyfy it.  I think it will take another 100 years for Asians in Asia to instill original cultural value in a physical product.

Is this a Japanese trend?

https://www.marieclaire.com.au/japanese-fashion

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 08:06:03 PM »
I don´t see anything Japanese about them.  Every country appropriates and puts their own twist to a product.  The twists that the Japanese make are typically very ugly.  I like to shop in Japan mainly due to sizing.  High end Japanese products basically just copy the original production methods made in the West but 10x more expensive.  Like they were selling denim (originally made for California gold miners) using old American made machines shipped to Japan some decades ago for $4000 a pair.  I could find that stuff on ebay for $100 with a much stronger heritage value.  Also, Japan is a declining industrial power so they now care more about marketing to add value.  This is new because Japanese products have always rested on inherent quality for value.  Japanese kitchen knives now enter this phase, way overpriced for what they are.  I spent a lot of money on this obsession a few years ago but now see the idiocy of my ways.

The barefoot Vietnamese blacksmith is a much more romantic story.

Name: Email:
Verification:
How deep is your love? (very deep, shallow, none, FU):

* Recent Posts

Saigon´s greatest bespoke shoemaker by
[Today at 03:04:24 PM]

Why don´t these Vietnamese just do Vpop instead? by
[Today at 01:41:48 PM]

Funny Pictures and Videos by Melenaeno
[Today at 12:35:21 PM]

Random Chit Chat Thread by Melenavht
[Today at 12:02:44 PM]

Self autonomy a trend for Vietnamese universities by convoy
[Today at 04:03:54 AM]

Cool images by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:42:17 AM]

The Deepest Dive in Antarctica by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:37:38 AM]

Bird Doesn't Care About Being Eaten by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:24:55 AM]

Spider Monkey Rescued by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:20:05 AM]

Puerto Ayora fish market by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:15:13 AM]

Jamaican broom by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:10:18 AM]

Overdramatic dog faints while a lady tries to cut its nail by CoconutXO
[Today at 02:04:30 AM]

random thoughts thread by Melenavht
[Today at 02:03:29 AM]

No more 3rd world status, Vietnam is on par with Thailand: Saigon Metro by CoconutXO
[Today at 01:56:15 AM]

Hot girl training to be VC by CoconutXO
[Today at 01:27:06 AM]

Rice field arts by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 12:56:27 AM]

Ultimate Guide to FISH SAUCE - Hot Thai Kitchen by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 12:27:44 AM]

Classical Conditioning - Ivan Pavlov by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 12:15:45 AM]

Bánh tráng trộn by CoconutXO
[Yesterday at 12:06:13 AM]

Apple Kohakuto|HidaMari Cooking by CoconutXO