collapse

Author Topic: Kim Chi  (Read 219 times)

Offline gaden

• Administrator
  • The Grand Lord of Mopeds
Kim Chi
« on: September 29, 2020, 11:09:04 AM »
If your name is Kim Chi would you go on a shooting rampage?
Like,  No!  I don't smell like Kim Chi OK?!  Stop looking at me like I would taste sour OK?!  I don't look Korean OK?!

Kim Chi Chọn Lọc Nhạc Bolero Mới Ra Lò 2020 Hay Nhất

Offline Guess

Re: Kim Chi
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 04:48:35 PM »
Good for her. At least her name isn’t min or soo Jin.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 03:54:37 AM »
many Vietnamese females have "kim chi" as part of their name.  Also all these Vietnamese with first name "Thai" having to correct people assuming they are from Thailand.

Offline Guess

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 06:19:38 PM »
But Chi is a cute name. Just drop the Kim.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 04:03:30 AM »
I ate at this joint in Austin before.  The food is decent but the name is just stupid as non-Vietnamese will assume it is the son of a Thai immigrant who runs this Vietnamese restaurant.   I am sure Gaden has been there too.

now imagine Taqueria VietSon.  White people will ask the eses if this joint is worth hitting.

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 03:16:16 PM »
Believe it or not I took my date to a Vietnamese restaurant in Austin.  I don't even know what it's called.  Pho Phat Thai or something.

My date keeps on telling me, 'why oh why do you take me here?  What were you thinking?  You think Austin is a Vietnamese food hub or something?"  I told her, 'Well, it's the only Vietnamese restaurant here.'

We ordered pho and it tastes like instant pho noodles.  I asked the waitress for some hoisin and siracha sauce but the waitress said white people don't ask for that so they don't have it.

Offline Guess

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 09:54:54 AM »
it irks me too, sometimes they don't give basil with pho. Their excuse is non viet people don't ask for herbs.

if you're going to make vnmese food, do it right. I was at a viet rest in Bhudapest and they made eggrolls with rice paper, not with the chinese wrapping.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 10:03:04 AM »
did you make your way to Prague? It´s Commie VN central in all of Europe.  In Budapest, comrades do make decent quality tiet canh and various types of banh cuon that are mainly available in the North.  Most of those Budapest Vietnamese came from Russia/Belarus/Ukraine/Lithuania and very likely on their way to Prague.  Their long term goal is Berlin. Bucharest certainly has more fresh off the boat types and you can tell their freshness by the corresponding concentration of MSG in the foods they serve.  Good luck eating pho (no vegies) with no proper napkins just tissue paper.  This situation continues all the way to Berlin.  At least in Scandinavia and even poorer Spain, Cyprus, and Italy, comrades used proper napkins.  In Romania and Belarus, they give you folded toilet paper as napkins.  There are parts of Easter Europe where these peasants live that are even less civilized than the rural parts of Thailand.

Offline Guess

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 10:38:45 AM »
No, I only went to budapest. the kids that work there are northern comrades for sure. They did not know how to use garlic chili paste for the nuoc cham. 

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 11:14:10 AM »
What would be the best Vietnamese food to order in a Vietnamese restaurant catering to foreigners where nothing can go wrong?  I think maybe spring rolls.  But the sauce might be tricky.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 11:41:39 AM »
I used to think that more Vietnamese clientele for a Vietnamese restaurant suggests more "authenticity" but clearly more Vietnamese clientele has a tendency to hold back Vietnamese self-actualization to more evolutionarily advanced biological entities.  For example in Russia, I would say 99% of the customers in Vietnamese restaurants are ethnic Northern Vietnamese.  In richer Eastern European countries like Czech Republic and Hungary, it is probably 1-5%, always some Vietnamese girl with a white boy. In rich small Euro countries in Scandinavia and Benelux, probably 10-15%, approaching parity with Vietnamese American restaurants around 10-20% in major cities with a large Vietnamese population. 

I think the magic happens with non-Vietnamese clientele around 20-40%.  Like in NYC, San Francisco and Miami, I have seen some really upscale Vietnamese restaurants that served amazing Vietnamese inspired foods with very nice interior decoration and service.  Vietnamese clientele is a minority here but Asians make up the majority.  There are quite a few restaurants like these in Canada and Australia but they are rare in Europe and Asia.  Even some Vietnamese restaurants in Las Vegas seem genuinely upscale compared to anything from Tokyo, which is known as a foodie capital.  The reason is that most of the clients to these Vietnamese restaurants in Japan are peasant migrant types. 

Offline gaden

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 12:47:27 PM »
You mean like pho lobster?

Offline Guess

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 04:07:30 PM »
Vietnamese need to recognize the importance of branding. there's a restaurant in Little Saigon called Brodard chateau. Started out pretty upscale with authentic viet cuisine with a little bit of fusion touch. The prices are still upscale last time I check. My uncle and I went there. we had a family meal for two. Mong toi soup with shrimp. Small bowl of shrimp kho to and roasted eggplants. That cost $65 with taxes. However, the restaurant has not been maintained well, things look dingy and dirty. The smell of fish sauce permeates the place. They had a fair number of  non viet customers and the Vietnamese that go there are willing to pay the price so it's not like they don' t make money.

things like keeping things clean and shiny and good ventilation is important. People are willing to pay more for atmosphere if your food is descent. Doesn't have to be the best.

Name: Email:
Verification:
What is love? (bird, flower, ephemeral of life, tattoo, idn):

* Recent Posts

Cajun and Hawaiian BBQ food is when Vietnamese people mix leftovers by
[Today at 12:13:52 AM]

Asia Pacific Power Index Ranking by Indo Pacific
[Yesterday at 11:50:58 PM]

What direction should vietnamese beauty standard set by Guess
[Yesterday at 10:21:39 PM]

Japan dropping Thailand for Vietnam, Thais don´t smile anymore by Wohoo!
[Yesterday at 10:15:20 PM]

Post what you think is the most naturally prettiest look of your ethnic group by Guess
[Yesterday at 04:44:31 PM]

Holy shwit! Vietnamese wearing proper attire at the beach by Guess
[Yesterday at 03:58:22 PM]

random thoughts thread by Guess
[Yesterday at 03:43:20 PM]

Vietnam Wedding Turned Funeral by
[Yesterday at 03:10:48 PM]

Neighborhood war by
[Yesterday at 03:02:50 PM]

SAigon finally caught up with Philippines by
[Yesterday at 02:43:45 PM]

I need to lose weight by